THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexible, collapsible one-piece cleaning rod?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think I remember a cleaning rod, from years ago, that had many segments while being one piece. Each jointed segment was hollowed for a central cord (metal or very strong synthetic??). The entire rod apparatus with handle and connector for brushes, etc., was one flexible unit. It could be rolled into a circle, much as you might roll up an extension cord or rubber hose. To render the rod solid you straightened it then "clamped" it straight with the handle. It then functioned as a standard solid one-piece rod - not a pull-through.

I have seen canes for people with injured legs that are segmented, albeit segments are many inches long, that appear to "assemble" similarly.
I seek several of these or cleaning rods that functions similarly. I prefer to avoid rods that are segmented via screw-together joints. Does anyone have a source or link to the type of flexible rod I describe? I think its brand was Shukra or something close to that.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing those too, however I think that a rapid rod would be more compact and probably sturdier nowadays:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-c...d-rod-prod25573.aspx

Now that you've jarred my memory, hopefully someone else will post about what the name of those roll up rods was!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc Kroeckel had one of those when I was at CST. Always wanted one.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I remember seeing those too, however I think that a rapid rod would be more compact and probably sturdier nowadays:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-c...d-rod-prod25573.aspx

Now that you've jarred my memory, hopefully someone else will post about what the name of those roll up rods was!

This is not to what I alluded, but it would be on-the-money as steel rather than aluminum. My experience with aluminum and soft plastic-covered rods - when used to clean BPCR and Sharps 1863 barrels is that the soft skins pick up abrasive waste. This occasionally causes scoring of the barrel. Steel rods, especially pre-hardened steel rods do not acquire the grit. Having typed that, if I cannot locate a steel version, this will have to do.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Have one. It's now in pieces with a broken cable.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one. I don't think it is marked with a brand. I'll look and post if it does.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would something like a flexible Otis cleaning system work for your needs?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Rapid Rod for several years and I have taken it on several hunts.

I consider it somewhat fragile. By that I mean I would not use it to push a firm fitting bronze brush down a barrel or pull it back through the barrel. Same with a tight patch.

When I used the Rapid Rod I always carried nylon brushes, and a sloted tip, instead of a jag, that fits with a patch a lot tighter in the barrel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the last couple of years I have been using the Otis flexible system.

It is very handy to carry it in your kit while hunting. It works great, and once you learn exactly how to use their multi holed patches, you can use the same patch through the barrel several times, finishing up with a fresh patch of course.

I like the Otis System.

It is very handy to use in a small tent or a small trailer.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have had both the Rapid Rod and the Otis kit for many years. The Rapid Rod goes to africa, the Otis does not. Just a matter of simplicity. Also, the RR might be able to clear snow, ice, dirt, mud or a wasp nest from a bore, whereas the Otis flexible wire could not.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rapid Rod on my cartridge belt, it goes everywhere I go when hunting..Its great for clearing snow or mud from a bore, beats hell out of cut branch or whatever else is around....I can clean a barrel with it if need be but I like a Bore Snake for that and its just as handy...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote