Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Cleaning and Barrel Etching
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
There are some gun cleaning solvents that warn against leaving in a bore for any length of time (Barnes CR-10 comes to mind). If leaving an agent in a bore for say more that 15 minutes could damage a bore by etching the barrel, couldn't having it in contact with the bore for multiple smaller lengths of time also damage the bore? It would seem most logical not to use such agents at all except on maybe stainless steel.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
couldn't having it in contact with the bore for multiple smaller lengths of time also damage the bore?

No. And why would the makers warn about one possibility and not the other.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I agree with JAL.

To determine the reason for a warning you would have to contact the manufacturer. But you know, there are always the few people who would take an aggressive product and leave it in the bore overnight on the principle of "if a little is good, lots is better", and they may find some problems in their rifles' bore after this. These are the folks I believe the warnings are for.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the 15 Minute Rule.

Since my partner and I manufacturer a bore cleaner, I am qualified to answer your question.

When I developed Warthog 1134, I had 2 questions that needed answering.

How fast will it work?

Will the cleaner harm the metal?

A copper bore cleaner is formulated to remove smeared on, fried on, baked on alloy jacket material by chemical action, an action that melts metal. It’s a tradeoff; speed versus safety.

We recommend 15 minutes maximum inside the bore not so much for safely, but because the chemical action is at its maximum during this time. The objective is to remove copper. You patch out the liquid copper and do it again with clean copper solvent.

I ran extensive tests with Warthog with metal of the same composition as the common blue and stainless barrels on the market. I know exactly how long it will take to damage a barrel. Believe me, 15 minutes isn’t even close. How long? Can’t say. In this day of hair trigger lawyers, somebody would sure as hell push it to the limit and then blame us for the damage.

We guarantee that Warthog 1134 will clean you bore faster than any bore cleaner on the market. If it doesn’t, return the unused portion and we will refund your money. We’ll even pay you for shipping the unused portion back to us.

warthog1134.com

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote