New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you clean your rifle chamber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I find there is quite a bit of crunk that builds up in my rifle chambers. I'm not sure what the right way to clean them might be. So far, I've been wrapping patches around nylon brushes, putting either M-PRO7 or Hoppes on them, and rotating them in the chamber, neck and throat areas.

I have an adaptor I made for my small power screw driver that lets me screw a piece of aluminum rod into it. I use that to rotate the nylon brush in the chamber. BTW: I got nylon brushes that have the center section made of brass wire.

At first, using this approach, the patch that was wrapped around the brush came out looking really ugly, now that I've gotten them all really clean for once, the patches come out looking a lot less loaded with crunk after a hunt or range trip.

How do you folks clean your rifle chambers?

Thanks
Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much the same way as you do it. Only, I don't use a power drill. And I use bronze brushes for losening the gunk. Only then a nylon brush wrapped in toilet paper to clean out and polish.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Short pistol-cleaning nylon brush with BoreTech Eliminator (first), then Midway chamber cleaning tool with chamber-sized mop and a patch over it. Clean the residue, then with KROIL and finally a third cleaner patch to dry.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use a .410 shotgun mop on my 06/ dia and bigger chambers.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a long piece of torn t-shirt, threaded through the eye of the cleaning rod specifically dedicated for this purpose. The piece of t-shirt is about an inch wide and six inches long. Cleans a 300WSM chamber just fine and reaches down the bore just a tiny bit...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Tipton "Action & Chamber Cleaning Tool Set" you can get them about anywhere for under $9

sjadventures@cableone.net