Find
Notify
Tools

Dewey Pointed Jag & Patch in .375!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted
My .375 Dewey pointed jag is absolutely oversized to fit! Even if I use the 9mm jag its still very tight with the suggested patch.

Anyone else experienced similar problem?

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YEP! Mine was tight as a tick. I trimmed patches for a while and then said screw it, and I use the original patch, just with a 338 jag!

good luck

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of the Tipton Jags and they seem small.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Butch's "Triple Twill Patches" 3" X 3" the size cut down to 1.5" X 1.5" to fit my 375.

You can also pierce the patch off center that helps alot too.

I prefer the Dewey Parker Hale style jag wraped with a patch cut 2"X3".

I usually start the cleaning process with the first patch wraped around a .35 cal jag. This under size patch/jag combo get the rough stuff out.
Once the bore is smoothed the regular sized patch and jag combo works better, cleans deeper with its tighter fit but doesn't jam up because the bore is mostly cleaned out of the stuff that would cause huge drag on the fist patch through.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I chuck the jag in a drill and hit em with 100 grit sand paper if to tight. Have done this on Dewey's. Also by putting your patch off center on the jag loosens the fit to the bore the further to the outside of the patch you pierce it.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I put two patches on but dont stick them through the center, rather offcenter so they dont stack right on top of each other. Works fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always start with an undersize jag in order to wet the bore down good, and get rid of a lot of the loose fouling. This also lubricates the barrel in order to facilitate the passage of patches with a full size jag, if your jag and patch are really tight the solvent will just be squeezed out into your action. Find a combination that works for you in your gun and don't fret excessively about the instructions. I have also encountered some brands of solvents which provide very little lubricant for the patch making it seem excessively tight.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can also pierce the patch off center that helps alot too.

quote:
Also by putting your patch off center on the jag loosens the fit to the bore

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote