New
Find
Notify
Tools

lead bullets in revolver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am new to shooting lead bullets in a revolver. These will be cast, if that makes any difference. What is the best cleaning method?

Thanks

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A/C

Use a good copper removing bore cleaner then shoot cast bullets.
Make life simpler for yourself and make sure the bullets are a very tight fit to the cyclinder mouths. This will reduce your cleaning.
Most cast bullets offered commercially are under sized by 1 to 3 thousandths, allowing powder gases to blow causing gas cutting and giving you a well leaded barrel and cyclinder.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also watch out for the forcing cone at the barrel entrance. Most revolvers arent timed perfectly that chamber lines up exactaly with the barrel. This causes lead to be deposited on the forcing cone and can cause pressure spikes. This can cause the barrel or the frame to crack. A lewis lead remover is a good investments for anybody who shoots lead bullets.

Posts: 55 | Location: OKC | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have shot lots of lead bullets at magnum velocities so i have alittle experience in cleaning em.... i have found an over sized bore brush made of brass works well i use a .45 cal brush on my s&w model 27....... i also got a brass brush that looks like a tooth brush to scrub the front of the cylinder and up under the frame top strap....... scub it with good ole hoppe's no 9 lead solvent gun cleaner...

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Hate to be the one to point out that if you are getting leading you are making a mistake in your loading.
In most cases the leading is caused by under sized bullets. Second most common reason for leading is exceeding the velocity that is appropriate for the alloy.
The best way to clean up and remove leading is not to cause the problem in the first place.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote