New
Find
Notify
Tools

KG12 what am I missing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some KG 12 after reading all the great reviews. I think I got a bottle of smelly water because this stuff is garbage!

I clean my rifles with Hoppes till the black fouling is gone and I start to see green/blue.
Then I use the KG like the directions say and I am not getting results. I have much better luck with patch out or sweets.

I am not impressed!

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
KG12 simply turns copper into a brown form that "precipitates" out / away from the bore. It does absolutely NOTHING on carbon or other fouling. You have to flush with KG3 (spray can of solvent) to rinse it off. I use something to address carbon first (BoreTech Eliminator vs. KG1 because mine isn't used up yet) and KG2 next to scrub copper. I use KG12 if part of a routine clean when the KG2 comes up short. For a final step if the cleaning must be more than routine is to put a finger cot over the muzzle, do the Wipe-Out thing (a MESS!!!) and store upside down overnight. The blue stuff gets scrubbed out with KROIL and then I put down a patch of oil. Yellow turning to brown is what you wanted...

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BNagel

If you are using the Expanding Foam WIPE OUT,
suggest you use a plastic tube with the end sharpened in a pencil sharpener (this helps it seal against the chamber shoulder) and insert it that way.

Much cleaner and as long as you keep the plastic
tube up against the shoulder you get none backwards.

To the OP
I don't know of any copper cleaner that also takes out Carbon. You always need to use a separate cleaner to remove the carbon.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I am also not impressed with KG12 and got it for the exact same reason.

I do use Wipe-Out and what I do is put the rifle in a vice, tilted very slightly down, then squirt the WO in the bore from the muzzle end (squirt a good squirt and then cover the muzzle with my finger)and watch the chamber with a flashlight. When I see the foam enter the chamber, i unplug the muzzle and stick my pinky in the chamber and the extra will expand out the muzzle into the trash can. Takes longer to type and sounds more complicated than it is but its about the cleanest way to use WO without any dropping down into the magazine. I then leave the WO until there is no longer any foam and you can see the stuff dripping out slowly. I have found 2 applications works great. I also will use Hoppes for the hell of it in between and then a final light oil and chamber clean with a mop.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Cool. I plan to use Patch-Out after WO gone.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Sinclair cleaning rod guide with a ziplock sandwich bag over the muzzle. I run two patches with Patch Out, put the bag on the muzzle then spray Wipeout through the end of the cleaning rod guide. Once you see foam exiting the barrel you're good. Shove a patch in the end of the cleaning rod guide to prevent Wipeout foam from exiting and turning to liquid and dripping out and let the rifle sit overnight. Occasionally, it takes two of these applications to fully clean.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you re read my post you will see I cleaned the carbon out first. I found the KG 12 did not clean out the copper as I was lead to believe. I used Hoppes to take the fouling out till I start to see the blue/green tale tell signs I am to the copper. Then I used the KG 12. I am aware the KG 12 will not turn blue or green. But it is not removing copper like advertised also. I find other products work much better.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out gets my rifle barrels clean enough for me and without me having to worry about banging a rod down my barrels too much!

I too, use Hoppes!
If for nothing more than the wonderful aromatic memories!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know of any copper cleaner that also takes out Carbon. You always need to use a separate cleaner to remove the carbon.

M98 does. One cleaner for everything that may be fouling your rifle/revolver/pistol.