New
Find
Notify
Tools

Badly rusted Pre 64 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got this rifle and it is so badly rusted that the lever and hammer will not move. I've never seen one this bad. Any help w/ this would be Greatly Appreciated!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evaporust
http://www.gemplers.com/produc...ZQazn20131229053451s

It will remove the rust and not touch the base metal. DO NOT use naval jelly...ever!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What does that stuff do to the bluing?

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would immerse it in kerosene or a few days to see if that loosened it up. Kersoene has a definite detergent quality... You could always use the Evaporust later, just in case there was something in the rifle that it "disagreed with"...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
What does that stuff do to the bluing?

It will remove any iron oxide including blueing. Blueing however is more tenacious than plain rust and if you time it right you can get most of the rust and spare some blue. The fact is, though that rust means pits. Even if you remove the rust you are left with pits and to remove pits you must file , sand, polish off metal to make the surface even. It sounds like a total refinish to me.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would spray it down with Ballistol.

My buddies son put his rifle back in the case and it must have been damp as the barrel, scope rings and part of the action rusted badly.

The left it at the lease for me to "work over".

I kept it wet with the spray Ballistol, wiping it down every second day or so, and after 10 days of so all the rust was gone.

Where the rust was heavy, the blue was of course damaged, but the Ballistol will not harm the unrusted finish of the rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is solid and frozen by rust I doubt the original finish is much of a concern. If it is a valuable antique you should be employing somebody with experience. For the run of the mill common modern gun I see nothing wrong with derusting it and refinishing.

I use the evapo rust for just such situations. In my work I am sometimes asked to restore rust-ball guns to functioning. These guns ar found under water or discarded along roads etc. They need to be test fired in criminal cases. A sonicator and evapo rust makes short work of it. It is amazing how much good smooth metal is present under the rust concretions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Evapo-Rust on small metal parts for years, mostly motorcycle stuff, and refurbishing old cheap shotguns. I submerge the parts and worry about them when I feel like it, a couple hours for light rust/corrosion, to overnight for bad stuff. It's always done me well without any obvious damage to the steel. Get it the auto parts store near me.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I answered your other post with the same question.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote