New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warthog 1134 recommendation.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I kind of feel guilty about posting this so long after I received a free sample from Roger but better late than never I suppose.

At any rate, last winter sometime, I contacted Roger for a free sample based on his claims of "the best copper cleaner". I had a couple of 700s, one with a factory barrel and one with a Hart barrel that I had just finished cleaning after an extended session shooting shilouettes with Portuguese .308 which is very accurate for milsurp ammo but also seems to leave a heavy copper deposit behind. To say the 700s were difficult to clean would be an understatement.

My intent was to shoot them again, same situation, and see how Warthog 1134 did in the aftermath. Hell is paved with such intentions and I haven't gotten back to the range with those rifles since. Hence the long delay in reporting.

However, I have been purchasing quite a few used rifles lately. I am a loooong ways from being a clean rifle nut, but my normal practice is to throughly clean the bore of a new to me rifle so I'll have a reference starting point. As an aside, depending on condition, after getting it clean, I sometimes treat the bore with colloidial graphite, which may or may not help but certainly doesn't seem to hurt.

At any rate, I don't particularly like brushing bores, it is more like work and I usually prefer to let the cleaner do the work for me while I'm doing something else. I usually use Butch's Bore Shine, run a wet patch or two through, get the main crud out and then run a wet patch, let it sit for a indeterminate time, but usually at least 10 minutes, sometimes overnight and dry patch it. When the dry patch comes out as clean, then I'm done.

I've run into 3 or 4 rifles lately that either have rough bores or were filthy or both. German rifles seem particularly prone to this, I don't know if its their steel, their methods of rifling, or their owners. At any rate, like I said, these rifles went through at least a dozen cycles of the Butch's, clean, Butch's, clean, finally I'd brush them out a time or three, and start again. Green and more green. Geesh. I had one that I'm telling you, I "cycled" at least 24 times, and was still getting green on the patches.

Finally, I said to hell with it, and broke out the sample bottle of Warthog 1134. Followed directions, more or less, and presto, cleano, no more green. To check, I ran another Butch's cycle, no green. I've done this 4 times now and there is no doubt that Warthog will get the green out in short order, MUCH MUCH better than Butch's (which I am not knocking, but it is apparently too mild for some situations and normal patience).

I highly recommend Warthog for copper removal, how it works for other situations has not been tested enough on my gun cleaning chores to comment.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Tried the warthog on my 280AI after firing about 25 rounds of Sierra Gamekings through it.I applied it with a nylon brush and let it sit 10 - 15 minutes and the patch came out quite blue, one more treatment and the patch was just tinged with blue,third came out white.I then cleaned the bore with one treatment of Hoppe's Elite and put Wipe Out in to test overnight, patch came out white. The stuff seems to work and fast too.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary:

Very similar to the results I've had. I don't use Warthog all the time yet, but I'll probably start working it into the cleaning "cycle", especially in certain situations.

Whether it's better than Sweet's or some of the other aggressive copper removers like Montana Extreme, I can't say for sure, but it seems like it works really well and fast for me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote