New
Find
Notify
Tools

22RF Cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for recommendations for cleaning two top-end matching Anschutz Sporters, both Model 54s. One is 22RF and one .22WMR. If you saw these gems, you would immediately go lock up the silverware!
Sometimes my ammo (especially the 22WMR) is copper plated or copper jacketed. I've never noticed copper fouling in my barrels but admit I haven't looked hard. I clean them with a bore guide, a near-bore diameter one-pc steel rod and the German-made VFG felts. I don't clean the RF's often but when I do I use use my center-fire bore cleaner and call it done.
Just joined a gun club here in Hampton Roads with a nice covered 50yd/100yd range and looking forward to shooting my RF's much more than I've done recently.
I notice Sinclair sells a product, Bore Tech Rimfire Blend. Is that product more New York advertising than actual benefit? What do you all use for your 22s?

Don Boyd

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I will NEVER run a rod down the barrel of my Kimber Classic 22LR.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding and I understand your point. However, I would still like to know what solvent or oil you recommend to clean your Kimber.

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don I use and like bore tech but call Russ Haydon @253-857-7557 knows more about rimfires than anyone I know!

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Proplinker, In late 1989 I was finishing a build of a Pre-64 Mod 70 in 280AI and max case length had become an issue. You and I exchanged a couple of notes and, as I type this post, I have in my hand a note from you dated Dec 1989 about your 'New' Chamber Length Gage Inserts. Your endorsement of Bore Tech is of great value to me. I will call Mr. Haydon, as second opinions are always welcome. Anyone else have a recommendation? Thanks to all.

Don Boyd

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Boyd:
Thank you for responding and I understand your point. However, I would still like to know what solvent or oil you recommend to clean your Kimber.

I don't clean the bore of my Kimber .22LR with anything....I shoot it, wipe of the outside of the rifle with a lightly oiled rag
and put it away.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in how to clean my parts-built 10/22. The thing came in at $1600 and I sure don't want to damage it because I cleaned it wrong...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote