New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington oil and Bore Brite
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just been given a Remington cleaning kit. Not having seen Remington cleaning products before I have no basis for comparison. The kit contained Rem Oil which is supposedly Teflon based and also a bottle of Bore Brite. Both these solutions are water clear with no suspended solids as I usually expect with Teflon based solutions (like CLP)and have little odour. I have come to expect a fairly distinct smell especially from bore solvents. I'm just wondering if these are the real Remington products or if someone substituted the contents with a little paraffin oil or something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem oil did well in the Gun Zone test, but there are better products for long term protection, Eezox is number one in my experience if you want the best, BreakFree CLP is excellent and available just about everywhere.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wrongtarget. I generally use a range of other products but what I was actually asking in this case was whether the products I was given are the genuine article. Both the oil and BoreBright are water clear and have little odour or viscosity, not features I've come to expect from gun cleaning products. I'm just wondering if thats what the Remington products look like or whether someone substituted the real thing with paraffin or similar before giving it to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, never used either. But it appears from these pics that they're both clear liquids.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw the first two pictures before I posted and the first suggests that the RemOil is a clear yellow liquid. My bottle contains a colorless, odourless liquid which is only slightly oily to the touch. The photos of Brite Bore I saw also suggested a colored liquid but I notice your third bottle seems to be a clear liquid. Just wanted to check before I used them on guns. I tried a little of both on a bit of mildly rusty steel to see what happened, which was precisely nothing. I would have expected the BriteBore to at least slightly lift the rust stain and associated dirt. Either its not particularly effective or I don't have the real thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Rem oil just to slick up the bolt.It is good for that.For rust protection,I use shooters choice rust prevent.The best way to prevent rust,is to store the guns in a closet in your bedroom or in a room in your home that has chiprock walls,etc.. and electric heating.If you store them in your garage or such,they will rust even if you spray them all the time.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:
I have just been given a Remington cleaning kit. Not having seen Remington cleaning products before I have no basis for comparison. The kit contained Rem Oil which is supposedly Teflon based and also a bottle of Bore Brite. Both these solutions are water clear with no suspended solids as I usually expect with Teflon based solutions (like CLP)and have little odour. I have come to expect a fairly distinct smell especially from bore solvents. I'm just wondering if these are the real Remington products or if someone substituted the contents with a little paraffin oil or something.

My Rem-Oil is clear Wink

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that what I was wanting to hear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There exists a product that in my opinion has no equal as a nitro solvent and a rust preventative. That product is called RustProof.
I haven't heard of Bright Bore-the bottle of Remington Bore Cleaner that came in my Rem kit has particles suspended and has a ball bearing in the bottle to mix well(by shaking)before using. It has a strong odor and is not clear. If you shoot jacketed or pure Cu bullets what color does the patch become if swabbed after an over night soaking. If it does not turn blue or green you may have a bottle of castor oilFrowner

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eesox for rust prevention and protection is hard to beat. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you regarding the Eesox and Rustproof. Just can't get it DownUnder, at least not anywhere I've checked which is most of the appropriate stores around here. Don't think you guys realize how good you've got it with the enormous variety available to you. On the other hand I'd end up with shelves full of stuff I've used once and then found something better to try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweets gun oil is messy stuff to work with and needs to be well mixed before using but is beyond any doubt far and away the best rust preventer I have used on any steel. I don't use it IN my barrels because it takes a bit of work to remowe it before firing but for all exposed metal I use it liberally, as I would in the barrel if I was storing a rifle for a long time. Not likely as I enjoy using them too much.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen Sweets Oil (as distinct from the solvent) for years though I notice it's still stocked by Reloaders warehouse. Brings back memories of Williamstown range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozzie,

BreakFree CLP is good stuff too and available in AU.

http://www.texgunsupplies.com.au/clean.html#bf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one attends the SHOT show you'll see many cleaners & lubes for firearms and get lots of free samples to try.I use Militec 1 & I bought some DriSlide from www.uniquetek.com .My GS always used Sperm Whale Oil to lube all of the weapons he built or serviced.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Militec-1 failed miserably in the Gunzone short test, so bad it wasn't tested in the long exposure test. It worked great in the 6mmBr long exposure test if you like rust!!