Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Face
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I did a search without any luck.

Could someone please tell me what they use to clean the bolt face of their rifles? I have tried different stuff and asked people at gun stores, but nothing seems to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Snyder

Posts: 61 | Location: Fallbrook, Ca | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use a tooth brush and shooters choice

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scotchbrite in a circular motion.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The little circle around the fireing pin hole should come off easy. If it is cutting your bolt look into your primers or load. Shouldn't put anything on there that is that hard to remove.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
SK, do you ever visit your dentist? Ask him, after cheqing your teeth, to do you another favour. He's got nice little rubber cusps that fit the bolt face exactly and with a little pumice and water (oil, if you like) in a few seconds with his rotating equipment (I'm a dentist myself) he can polish your bolt face to a shiny surface. Don't take your entire rifle to that man, he will be scared to death, unless he is accustomed to rifles, by the way!
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
When your dentist polishes your rifle bolt face can you charge it to your medical insurance?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a brass scrub brush with real fine bristles. Use some kroil.

Works good on old rifles ive bought, with some kroil it cleans any fine surface rust and dryed on residue without damageing the blueing.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a "PrepPen".
The glass fibers on the end of the pen scour the carbon off.
The PrepPen is actually made for digging the rust out of rock chips in your cars paint prior to touching them up. I got mine in a automotive store.

http://www.promotorcarproducts.com/sandingpen.htm

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote