THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you make those that shoot help clean?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have over the years taken a lot of people shooting, invariably I have the most guns there, or the only guns. Afterward I'm left cleaning for hours before everything goes back in the safe.

Question:
When you take friends or family shooting do you

Choices:
Have them help clean the guns after
Just clean them all yourself, taking comfort in the solvent fumes

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Very picky about cleaning my irons..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used "Both Methods" in the past, but I no longer do that.

Had a good buddy use a "Stainless" Bristle Brush in the barrel of a 357Mag of mine long ago while I was doing something else. It was great for cleaning the Chambers, but I had not intended it for use in my barrels. Got rid of them(after the horse was out of the barn) and replaced them with Hoppe's Tornado Brushes for the Chambers and continued using Brass Brushes in the Barrels.

To top it off, my buddy used a non-rotating Rod, so the scratches were across the Lands rather than running in the same Twist. Roll Eyes

I clean my own, everytime they go outside, whether they get fired or not. And occasionally when they do not go outside.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I've done it both ways. If the fellow is a shooter, then I expect him to help out --UNDER MY CLOSE SUPERVISION. If it's just a guy that'd like to send a few downrange to see what it's like, I usually do the cleaning myself.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Very picky about cleaning my irons..

I really don't let others shoot my rifles except a shot here or there. I am very picky about my rifles so I do it myself. I don't trust my nephew or some others to clean the way I do.

It seems that you posted this topic due to a bit of frustration to "clean up" someone else's "mess." If so, very understandable. The short answer is either teach them to clean properly and contribute, or don't let them shoot your guns, or continue as is.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Doc. If people want to shoot let them make the same commitment and buy a gun and all that goes with it join a club, the NRA, etc... stimulate the economy.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true but what if the newbie is wanting to "try out" some rifles before committing to buy a particular one??
After we were finished shooting, I believe I say something like: "Part of owning a gun is taking care of it. Now I will show you how to properly clean a rifle". Big Grin

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating, I don't mind when they're new shooters, and with rifles they usually only shoot a few rounds. With the handguns they can get out of control though. more rounds means more money and makes the guns much dirtier. actually, now with the cost of ammo....

I'm going to limit the number I take.

I have thought about hiring a hot chick and teaching her how I like them cleaned and then just watching. maybe in a bikini.... Big Grin

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My wife is shooting with me every weekend getting ready for Africa.

She does not reload or clean rifles. In turn I do not vacuum or scrub toilets.

Pretty decent trade off.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
The poll clearly states friends or family so the first option is how I do it. IMO dismantling & cleaning firearms is a great way to have someone gain a better understanding of their function & thus a greater respect for their use.
That doesn't mean I wont make sure they did it right afterwards.....

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always clean my own guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are my guns I will clean them.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote