Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stainless revolver...what do you use?
 Login/Join

posted
So after cleaning my revolver today I notice that it is extremely difficult to get the residue from the outside of the breech?? (the beggining of the barrel) I have used a toothbrush and lots of differenct solvents, it is decently clean, but not clean enough for me. Not to mention stainless shows alot more than if it was a blue'd gun....also around the cylnder there seems to be a little bit on each chamber on the outside. I am hessitant to use anything but a soft bristle toothbrush as I don't want to scratch my pretty gun.
Not sure if this makes sense, but it is kinda hard to explain. I think I am using the correct terms for what I am talking about. I can post pics if I need to.
So does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to get all the little hard to reach areas sparkling clean?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may get burned for this, but I used a Hoppe's Lead Removal cloth on my 629 Classic for years, and never had any sort of problem. It took the powder burns off the front of the cylinder quite well...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Have you tried removing the grips and sneaking it into the dishwasher?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
WipeOut bore foam is good at getting to hard to reach places on a revolver and on my S&W 625 I tried it on the cylinder face and got good results. No brushing necessary.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the dishwasher to.....excellent results.

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yall can't really be serious about using the dishwasher???

Picture of boomstick
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner.

Spray it on and let it soak for 5 minutes before getting after the carbon deposits with a toothbrush.

Wally-World sells an 8oz. spray bottle for 4.98

"When I die, I want to die like my grandmother who died peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."
-Author Unknown

Posts: 30 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Flitz metal polish for the once yearly (or so) deep cleaning including removal of 'burn' rings from the front of the cylinder...otherwise plain 'ol Hoppes gets the powder residue off just fine. A solvent soaked bronze brush with a light touch will get the hard stuff off exposed areas, and you might need a worn 40 cal brush to get the inside of the cylinders scrubbed out. My .357 is bad about caking gunk in the cylinder after a bunch of .38 rounds have gone through it...just soak and scrub, it'll come out.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
As to use of the dishwasher, Rem 1100s and 870s do very well when you take the trigger group out and removable parts and run them thru the dishwasher. I shot skeet with four 1100s for years and this really kept them doing well. The heat during the drying cycle prevented the water from rusting anything. A light (LIGHT) oiling ensured good functioning even with the .410!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:
yall can't really be serious about using the dishwasher???

Absolutely. Best damn way to clean a stainless Ruger Old Army. You need to lube up the carbon steel parts afterwards but it gets 'em spotless.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
well I don't think I could put my gun in the dishwasher, it would just bother me....plus I like cleaning my guns, I just need a better solution....hrm, thats a good excuse to go buy alot of different cleaners and do some experimenting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a suede brush with solvent. I like M-Pro 7.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I'll agree w/ Doubless. I've used Hoppe's Lead Removal Cloth for years with excellent results. It's quick and easy. Don't use it on your blued guns though. I've also put my stainless revolvers through the dishwasher... just takes a small leap of faith. Give the internals a light coating of Corrosion X afterwards and they're good to go.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote