Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White lithium grease?
 Login/Join

posted
I wanted to try some lubes around the shop to see if they would lube the barrel, yet keep my POI the same for each shot. I sprayed some white lithium grease on a patch and pushed it through my barrel twice. I took it out today and the first 4 shots were the size of a quarter at 200yds Smiler

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an avenue that I would pursue.

Apply grease to camming/mating surfaces of your bolt/action.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dan,
I used a bore guide and put very little in. Then I flipped over the patch and ran it again. Very little applied, and with a bore guide I cannot see it getting into any "bad" spots. Correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to hurt my guns.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
One of the issues with grease is that it is basically an incompressible fluid, and while a patch can push a blob out a bullet travelling at mach 2 might see it as a stone in the way. It can be argued one way or the other but that is a simple law of physics that maybe can be wiggled around but if it is not, it's not a law that is necessarily broken without some sort of consequence.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well crap. I thought I had come up with a cheap alternative! Point taken.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
For a cheap lube try my favorite-ATF. You can thin it with 5% mineral spirits (paint thinner). No need to be scientific, just put some in an oil bottle and add a 1/4" of thinner if it is too thick.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in UK match rifle shooters used to dip the bullet part of a loaded round into a jar of moly grease! True!

Then load it and shoot it! Again claims of increased accuracy reduced jacket fouling (the rounds at the time used nickel jackets) and a crock of gold at the rainbow's end.

It is not done now as investigation into this - and dipping complete rounds into a jar of water on a rainy day - has told us that it isn't safe practice.

But I suppose that by put the lube in the bore instead of on it is no more than what British match rifle shooters were doing in the 1930s with their jars of "Never Nickel"!

When I used to swage bullets I used a 50/50 lanolin and castor oil mix as that also does not compress so it gave a good release to swaged bullets in my Corbin dies...and a laxative effect if you did not wash your hands afterwards!

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You are talking about tranny fluid? Also, how much does it cost to have a barrel bore scoped?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Yep I am talking about transmission fluid.

In regards to bore scopes, why don't you fill out your profile a little bit more and maybe there will be someone who lives not too far from you and can help with some of the things you are trying to do?

posted Hide Post
Sounds good Mark. I will try the tranny fluid. Also, I will get to that profile. Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bullet hitting a small blob of grease that didn't get swabbed out is like a fighter jet slamming into the ocean at WOT. Stick to light gun oil and swab it out good before you shoot again. Don't open an avenue to get hurt. We need all the gun-owning voters we can muster on November 2...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HB,
I hear ya. We need our country back! I am a little tired of this regime forcing all this trash down our throats. Anyway, I just got done shooting and my first 2 shots at 300yds out of my 300wsm were 7/8" apart. My next 2 were 1 1/4". I hope I find something that gives me the same POI as the lithium grease has. To clarify, I spray just a bit on a patch and work it throughout the entire patch. I run it through on both sides. It is very light, no globs. Still dangerous?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still dangerous?

Not if you really get it distributed through the patch so that the patch is "wet," as opposed to there being solid pieces of it visible. Maybe I am missing something, or do not know much about lithium grease. Seems what you have is in solution with some volatile compound, and you spray it as opposed to dipping a bit onto your finger and applying that to the patch.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HB,
I take a small patch and give it a very quick spray about 1/4". I fold the patch to distribute it on the pad uniformly. I push throught the wettest side first, then flip it and run the dryer side. It is funny because I start at 300yds and my 5 shot groups were all sub moa. They would start to open up and I would run a patch and shoot again to reset the group size. Darn A-bolt Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should try that. I finish my cleaning with four dry patches, then put it up. My barrel is stainless and it's dryer than a popcorn fart here, so I don't oil the bore. I shoot four or five foulers next time out, and then start shooting the good stuff. Sometimes I can put 'em just inside one-half MOA at 300 yards; other times a refrigerator is safe out there...

posted Hide Post
The fridge comment got me laughing now Smiler It works for my gun, but I don't have the knowledge most of the guys on here have. For all I know there has been a study saying "The use of lithium grease degrades barrel rifling 100 times faster" Who knows. Maybe I am just so bad that my shots "luck" next to each other.