New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual Fouling Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a new rifle with a very smooth bore that only requires patches and solvent to clean. It has only had a brush in it twice and after each time I got copper fouling out of the barrel. I clean this rifle after 25-50 shots and the only time I got copper out of it was after brushing the bore prior to firing it. Its a no brainer to stop brushing it, but I was wondering if anyone else had ever had this happen.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quit using a bronze brush and try a nylon brush!! Big Grin

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had thoght of that but at this point if he harshest method I need to use to clean this barrel is Shooters Choice/Kroil mix and patches then I am ok with it dancing Now if it will only work on my other rifles bewildered

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next step is no brushes, just use a foaming cleaner like WipeOut, Outers or Gunslick. Wink

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you guys really like your wipeout! i like boretechs eliminator. in my experience it works really well plus eliminator is a better name than wipeout.

or, put a bit of jbs bore paste on a tight fitting patch and give your barrel a good scrubbing with the patch in place, not sure if you should run a patch or wipeout or something before using the jbs but thats what they recommend. that method worked well in my non pitted stainless barrel after about 40-50 shots.

but in a chrome moly barrel i tried it in that had slight pitting it hardly changed it at all. but its probably never been cleaned properly in its life

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
insted of a tight fitting patch you could use a nylon brush coved in jbs... and a bit of elbow grease depending on how bad it is

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried a foaming cleaner once, it worked on the powder fouling but it was awkward to use. I had foam in places I didnt need it, and I still had to patch it out afterward plus remove the copper fouling. Maybe the stuff I got didnt work very well but I am going to stay with patches and Shooters Choice for now. JB Bore Brite works really well in a nylon brush also. It feels about as abrasive as lotion but it gets fouling out easily.

one of us
posted Hide Post