Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Wonder bore cleaner
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I've always been a big fan of Wipe-out brushless bore cleaner, but it can be messy.

I friend of mine started using stuff called Blue Wonder bore cleaner and he says it works better than either Patch-out or Wipe-out.

Any of you guys have any experience with it?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used Blue Wonder bore cleaner for a number of years now. Basically it is same as RB17. Two gents were parteners in RB products, but had a falling out. However, both retained rights to products they developed. Seems the one that came up with the Blue Wonder name was better at marketing.

Anyway, its a decent bore cleaner. Don't leave it in your chamber, or bore for that matter, without running some patches with oil after it. Can cause a problem....rust. Speaking of rust, if I want to deal with rust on gun metal, I use the Blue Wonder on it....dissolves rust pretty good and does not harm gun blue.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Blue Wonder before trying Wipe-Out, now I just use Wipe-Out or Patch-Out as I wasn't impressed with Blue Wonder.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Wonder work fine. I have used it.
Wipe-out is still the 1st cleaner/solvent that I use on a barrel. Sometimes I follow with others such as Blue Wonder, Sweets 7.62 or others.
Nothing wrong with Blue Wonder but I will always use the Wipe-out and Patch-Out products.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Wonder is probably what the old time bench resters called "Blue Goop" homemade stuff and I still use it today...Recipe is:

One quart of 20% commercial Amonia
One cup of Hydrogen Peroxide
ONe copper bullet

The bullet turns it blue, thus the name, otherwise it's clear and your buddies might drink it instead of your glass of Vodka!! Other than that it will turn blue as it contacts the copper in your bore so no need for the penny or bullet.

this is very strong stuff and will ruin a bore if not used properly...swab bore liberally, let stand for 20 minutes and no more..Swab until dry then I run a alcohol patch or lighter fluid down the bore and make a couple of passes until dry. The clean with solvent of whatever and oil profusely...Dry thoroughly before shooting and then fire 3 or 4 fouling shots.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Blue Wonder to clean rifle barrels after using corrosive ammo; less troublesome than boiling water. Also used it to strip bluing from gun parts per the instructions.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote