New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foaming Bore Cleaners
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently I started using Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. (There are several other brands besides Gunslick, and the stuff goes under different names.) It comes in an aerosol can, and foams something like shaving cream when put into the bore. I find that about three applications of it, with one application cleaned out using dry patches before the next application is applied, seems to get my rifle bores to the point where little blue is showing up on the patches. I tend to let each application in the bore for about an hour before I clean it out.

What experiences have other shooters here had with foaming bore cleaners?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that as the foam disolves it sinks to the bottom of the barrel. I usually turn rifle over after about 30 minutes so it can work on the top of the barrel. This cuts down on applications for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Good idea about turning the barrel over!
I have just started using Wipeout and I have to say this stuff works very well. It will clean a machine gun barrel totally in 3 applications that has been abused for 50 years.

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
I also use Gunslick in my guns. Don't even have to use a brush before using it; sometimes the patches come out black, other times it pours out blue. From what I have seen with my rifles, it seems like the foam turns to a liquid much faster in larger calibers than in the smaller ones. I usually leave it in for about 30-40 minutes. I haven't had a chance to use Wipeout to compare.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Wipe-Out as part of my cleaning regimen. I find it does a good job getting things started but will never really get the gun as clean as I like it. This is especially true if you've used Russian manufactured ammunition such as Wolf or the stuff made at the Barnaul plant. What foaming cleansers like Wipe-Out are good for is getting the gun on it's first cleaning steps to head off any chance of rust or corrosion from starting.
I'll get home from the range and fill the barrell. Then let it sit for 20 minutes to an hour. Patch it out and then refill. After the second application is in, I let it sit while I'm at work or overnight. That's the beauty of these cleaners. You don't have to clean the whole thing in one sitting, just take your time on getting around to it. The caveat comes from wives or whatever getting sick of seeing your "arsenal" spread out all over where ever you clean. I banish myself to the storage room for cleaning and pray the fumes don't take me out.
I find I still need powerful cleaners like Shooter's Choice for fouling and Barnes CR-10 for the bad copper. My experience has been that American powders clean up a lot faster than foreign ones.
Just my two cents worth.

Later,

Ross

Posts: 25 | Location: MN | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote