Find
Notify
Tools

Question about fouling with TSX.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi everyone,

I'm considering switching from 180 gr Corelokts to something like a 150 gr TSX. We shoot Rem 700s in .300 Win and WBY. Years ago I tried Barnes X bullets, but fouling was a pain to get out. I've read the TSX bullets are an improvement. I'm wondering if that is true? Do they compare favorably to cup/core bullets in terms of copper fouling? Thanks in advance.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You got the right advise. Current TSX actually foul less than some cup & core bullets. They are also very accurate in my rifles (unlike the old Barnes X)

I have found the ATSX to be exceptional hunting bullets even at 300+ meters in my 7mm08 & 280 Ackley Imp.

In the 300 Win Mag I would use the 165gr or 180 gr TSX or even the TTSX for very flat trajectory.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for your reply. My son seems to have a knack for finding very large whitetails. The 180 gr Rem CLs don't exit them. Maximum distance we would shoot is probably 250 yards, an average is probably 100 yards. I don't hotrod my loads, so would probably be looking at 2900 fps with the 180s. Do you think that's enough velocity to guarantee expansion at 250 yards? Thanks, Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The foaming bore cleaners like Wipeout are the way to go and I've had no problem with accuracy fouling with the TSX.

Plugging the chamber with a paper towel or rag or something solves the problem of the foam spreading thru the action. I can mostly listen to the spray of the foam and judge for myself based on experience when enough is enough before it hits the trigger assembly. Mostly.

In the .300's I'd certainly recommend the 165g or larger and be prepared to collect venison.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Scott. I just ordered some Wipe-out and accelerant from Midway. Sounds like a 165 would be about perfect for big deer (and maybe a small Maine moose). Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The foaming bore cleaners like Wipeout are the way to go and I've had no problem with accuracy fouling with the TSX

tu2

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I guess I should tell a story on myself.

I did note above that I can "mostly" listen to the spray for the right amount. One time I didn't with my 30-06. I got too much foam everywhere and to make matters worse, didn't get it all cleaned out of the action before replacing the bolt, ammunition in the magazine, (the one rifle stored loaded at my place, not the common occurence,) and put it in back in the gun rack butt down muzzle up. Weeks or months later I opened it all up to see the mess. Wipeout had gummed the bolt face and had tarnished green the three rounds in the mag.

I subsequently shot all three rounds at the range and it worked fine, so no primer damage there, and ofcourse I simply cleaned the bolt and it works fine too, but do be sure to well remove all the cleaner before you store. Dry patches suffice.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel_Hoggson:
Thank you so much for your reply. My son seems to have a knack for finding very large whitetails. The 180 gr Rem CLs don't exit them. Maximum distance we would shoot is probably 250 yards, an average is probably 100 yards. I don't hotrod my loads, so would probably be looking at 2900 fps with the 180s. Do you think that's enough velocity to guarantee expansion at 250 yards? Thanks, Sam

I believe Barnes told me that the minimum velocity required is 1,600 fps. Your bullet would most likely be around 2,000 fps at 500 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm leaning toward the 165 gr (?168) TTSX. Sam

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sam, there is nothing wrong with cup & core bullets at 30'06 elocity! Bullets penetrating deer or elk into the heart lung area and resting under the skin on the off side is actually perfect performance. Not all shots will exit.

Even a TSX may not exit on quartering shots if you hit big bones and the paunch. I recovered a 7mm XBT bullet from a red deer on a spine shot at 50 meters. It penetrated over 12" of spine and was under the skin.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good responses here. The new TSX version of the Barnes bullets do not foul much at all.
The old X bullets were terrible, but the addition of the groves on the bullets solved that.

I think at the speeds you are talking about a Speer or Sierra 180 grain would give good performance and penetration. A Nosler Partition would be better yet. I have shot a fair amount of game with 180 grain Sierra's and Nosler Partitions with 300 magnums with great succes and generaly complete penetration.

If you want to try the Barnes I recommend the 168 grain TSX. I had to switch to monolithic bullets here in central California so I went to the 168 TSX in my 300 magnums. I have had great success so far. I shoot them at around 3100 fps in my 300 WSM and about 3250 in my 300 Wby Mag. At these speeds they will open up, even on animals as small as coyotes.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote