Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning automatic shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted
What do you guys use to clean all the burnt powder out of the gas piston..etc. of automatic shotguns? It's hard to get a brush in there, and the "gun blaster" products do nothing. It seems that powder solvent removes some, but there is still some that won't come off. Any suggestions?

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The trick, in my experience with a 391 and a Browning Gold, is to shoot them "wet".

To get them clean to begin with, I often use 0000steel wool and Flitz or oil. Some of the parts occasionally get soaked in CLP to loosen things up.

During re-assembly the gas openings, the pistons and other assorted parts that are exposed to gas get coated with Breakfree CLP. Not dripping, just moist.

The next time, cleaning will consist of just wiping things off. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get your self a Benelli M1 super 90. you won't have to worry about cleaning again!!!

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on Alex !!! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...gas system. We don't need no steekin' gas system. We got Benellis!

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Appears to me that the recoil of those Benellis has knocked the sense out of you guys.

I clean about every 400 rounds, or once a season, whichever comes first. Hardly a hardship. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the recoil that isnt there due to the recoil-inertia bolt system?

Smiler

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Super 90 and picked up a 391 for my daughter to shoot. What a mistake! I've cleaned her gun more in one season that all the years I've owned the M1.

While I'm looking for someone to buy the 391, I'll never sell my M1 Super 90.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Appears to me that the recoil of those Benellis has knocked the sense out of you guys.

I clean about every 400 rounds, or once a season, whichever comes first. Hardly a hardship. FWIW, Dutch.

rotflmo

You use a .79 cent pipe-fitter's brush to clean out the inside of the gas piston and the gas piston housing. It takes about 5 minutes with Hoppe's or Breekfree CLP.

I clean after about 2 cases of shells.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote