New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore Snake
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought one for my new .300 mag (M77 MKII), and MAN...thought I was never gonna get it through the bore. Are they supposed to be THAT tight? Obviously they need to be rather snug, but I had to wrap the cord around my hand twice and dang near got rope burn trying to pull it through. Any suggestions on a good one piece cleaning rod (or a good jointed rod) that will work on this rifle? I've got a one piece coated Outers rod that I like, but it's too short to allow me to clean from the chamber end of the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's somethign wrong. I have a 270, 7MM and .30. I can pull mine throught the bore with minimal effort. One wrap around my fingers and they come through.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the bore-snakes are a little snug but your description sounds excessive.
Buy a good Dewey, Bore-Stix coated rods or a Tipton Carbon fiber rod. Then use a bore guide to clean from the rear. Tipton also makes a nice set of jags in a set that's less than $20. If you've got a nice rifles it's a shame to not have it properly cleaned for lack of the right tools......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with dj as I use a Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod and a bore guide. I use a different jag, though, and it makes cleaning just a little safer and faster, especially with the sharp tip.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...=9955&title=PRO+JAGS

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It wasn't quite rope burn, but it did take considerable force to pull it through. I'd say it was a little tighter than if ya put two patches on a jag and try to run it through. I'm gonna take it back to wal-mart and see if I can exchange it to see if maybe I just got a bad one. Also going to look into those cleaning rods y'all suggested.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Tight is good. If you can pull it through, I would keep it. It will loosen with time.

OTOH, if you can't handle it, maybe you should trade in you 300 and get a 243. Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bore Snake that is extremely tight but works well on my muzzleloader. I bought a knock off brand for my 300 win and it isn't as tight. It doesn't do the same job either. Do you want to trade? On my muzzleloader I wrap the cord around part of the TC wrench, it does a great job. Quick in the field or at the range.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL BoreSnake.

I wouldn't use one on your gun. Tight is good? So you can drop that little piece of brass down the barrel and can't pull it through without stepping on it. Grinding dirt into the Bore snake and dragging it through your bore. Then repeating that process over and over. Do you see something wrong with this process. If you're a Bore snake user it's obvious you don't.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Jay I feel like a dumbass that I didn't think of that

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
sounds like it was mis packed. mine works fine

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep my boresnake in a zip lock bag and in my range box......funny...I DON'T step on it and grind it in the dirt and then use it. Darn thing works great. Also, 2 swipes when I'm done shooting with the bore a little warm and things clean up real fast at home.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't need to step on it to get it dirty, one pass thru the bore will take care of that! I only use them for field cleaning, then it gets thrown in the laundry so it's clean for next time.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wash mine in the laundry too but sure wouldn't waste time after just 2 swipes. What do you think is in that barrel that's so nasty with the boresnake. Surely nothing worse than when the next bullet passes over it at super high pressure??? Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
I like the Bore Snake for field use, in particular for a shotgun. I find the best way to use it is tie the end of the rope to something and walk backwards with the firearm.
One word of warning when cleaning a rifle. Make sure you pull the snake straight out of the muzzle or you could hurt the crown with repeated cleanings.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote