THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - Which Cleaning Patch do you prefer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lots of kinds of Cleaning Patches are available. I even noticed some Baby Wipes that had dried out make real good ones.

Question:
What is your favorite Cleaning Patch?

Choices:
1. Commercially made Patches.
2. Cut my own from Cotton material of any type.
3. Paper Shop Towels.
4. Dried out Baby Wipes.
5. A special material which I will mention.
6. More than one of the above.
7. None of the above

Question:
Would a "Wet Baby Wipe"(with Aloe) be good Final Wipe for a barrel?

Choices:
8. Yes, absolutely.
9. No, a really Bad idea.
10. Don't know one way or the other.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have always used the 4x2 rolls of cloth and cut my own. These started out as military supply but are now comercially available in most gunshops. The rolls of cloth are 4 in wide with a red stripe every 2 in as a guide where one 4x2 patch was used on a pull through for the 303 rifle. It is still available here and is very good cloth. I use a 4x2 patch wrapped round a nylon brush for the 404 going down to a patch cut in three for the 20 cal. Best value going and good grade of cloth.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
5. A special material which I will mention.

I voted "5. A special material which I will mention."

Not really a special material, but I cut my own patches form white cotton tee-shirt material.

I think this is a better solution than store bought patches because they hold more bore solvent and I can cut then to fit my jag/bore combo.

The downside is that they hold and use more solvent and I have to make sure to cut them to the correct size for my bore/jag combo.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Pro Shot patches the best.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use cotton patches.
Brand really not so important. But usually (almost always) will buy from Midway, they have other kinds also, to choose from.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Sinclair

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut my patches from white flannel cloth.

I want solvent/oil soaked or dry patches, not aloe patches, to clean and wipe barrels.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was getting those bags of Outers 3"x3" from walmart and cutting them in half. Cept I noticed local walmart aint carrying em anymore. Now they have some kind in a bag that looks like a rolled up T shirt inside. I dont want to work that hard with a pair of "sizzors"
They still have the $1.99 bottles of Hoppes though

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch's triple twill and if those are not available--Dewey markets some good ones.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote