New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning gas block on AR, how and is it necessary
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm able to disassemble all of the parts except the trigger group and the gas block. The rifle in question is a direct impingement type. I can clean out the trigger stuff with spray Balistol and compressed air at 120 psi. I can't get the gas block off with reasonable effort. I have the correct size Allen wrench but don't want to mess anything up.

I spray out the gas tube with Balistol and or Hoppes #9 and blow out the excess. Is this enough? I have about 150 rounds through the gun.

Anything else needed I'd probably take it to a gunsmith.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use carburetor cleaner or similar. The chemicals in carb cleaner are very efficient in breaking down carbon deposits.

As for removing the block, if it has a slot in it as most do, take a blade screwdriver, insert it into the slot and twist just enough to "spring" the block open. You should then be able to slide it off the barrel.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
I would use carburetor cleaner or similar. The chemicals in carb cleaner are very efficient in breaking down carbon deposits.

As for removing the block, if it has a slot in it as most do, take a blade screwdriver, insert it into the slot and twist just enough to "spring" the block open. You should then be able to slide it off the barrel.

Am I correct in assuming the two Allen screws need to be loosened first? I see the slot. I tried again with the Allen screws but I don't have one with the handle on it. Maybe I need to make a trip to a store and buy one if this is what I need.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loosen the two Allen screws and then spread the block. It should slide off the barrel with minimal effort. (The reverse is the way it was put on the rifle originally!)

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is loosening the Allen screws that has me stumped. Might look into something like liquid
wrench to get them loose if it doesn't do anything it it to hurt the finish.