New
Find
Notify
Tools

why is it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see it so many times on the outdoor channels where folks use some solvent or the other, or one of the new brands of foaming cleans, that they shove the cleaning rod from the barrel to the breech. Man, talk about a run-on sentence! Anyway, you would think that if a company takes the time to invent a new cleaner, or solvent, that the same company officials would make sure that the advertising videos show the proper way to clean a rifle, from the breech to the muzzle. The one which prompted this post was a product named Knockout, I guess an attempt to dash Wipeout. Anyway, they show the rifle being cleaned, a bolt action rifle, from the muzzle to the breech. I guess I just wanted to bitch. Thanks for allowing me my 15 seconds. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Sad but true,Amen! Marketing rather than good reviews sells products it seems these days!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i`ve seen the same comerical and asked the same question. go figure

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work for the company that makes Quilted Northern bathroom tissue. When their commercial first aired it showed some women knitting rather than quilting. Didn't take long for the complaints and the commercial changed, but one has to wonder if more people remember the product because of the error.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, have a look at ALL the ads for toothpaste and toothbrushes. ALL the "clips" of brushing -- real life or "animated" illustrations shows the brushing going back and forth, sideways, across the teeth.

That's not the way you brush teeth!

Also, I see lots of ads with people playing musical instruments -- mouth pieces on the sax upside down, no clue how to hold the instrument.

But it seems like if you're SELLING bore cleaner, you'd have an ad with someone who knows how to clean a barrel! (Or brush teeth in the toothbrush/paste ads!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
No 45/70, you don't need someone who knows how to clean a bore, brush teeth, swab floors, or know the proper way to proper way to play a musical instrument. At the same time, ads are meant to instill confidence. If I see someone who doesn't have a clue how to properly clean a rifle and that individual is promoting the product, then I, for one, question the product right off the bat. Advertising done properly is meant to instill confidence so a buyer feels right at home buying that product. When the folks making the ads don't know enough about the use of the product to make it look believable, then that product is going to have some major problems, with me. Apparently you seem to accept the fact that manufacturers do not care that their product is bot promoted in the best light available ... I do. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've experienced the same thing on different occasions. The one I like is when one of the "Gun writer experts" is shown setting at the bench shooting and he has his front rest setting backwards on the bench. I'd love to see him clean his rifle!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you check out our website at http://warthog1134.com/ you'll see that I preach proper cleaning, including the use of a bore guide. I believed more bores are runied by improper or poor cleaning, that by actual firing.

warthog1134.com

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote