New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wipe out everywhere!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you people use Wipe out without getting foam all over the table, chairs, the floor, the light, your hands, everywhere? I have tried it now 4 times and each time it has been a disaster before I finally get it to squirt out the end of the barrel. My biggest problem seems to be holding the can tight enough against the bore to seal it tight enough for it to squirt in.Four cleanings on a can is expensive. Thanks for any help or tips!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fill your barrel from the chamber end and use light pressure on the button. Just enough to get it to come out. You are using the extension tube right?

Let it turn into foam in the tube. If you spray to fast the liquid will expand to foam in the barrel and push all the excess out. Instead you want it to expand in the tube and the excess to be pushed into the barrel.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Put an earplug in the chamber, and close the bolt on it. The little orange bell shaped ones are the best, because you can usually get the edge in between the chamber and the bolt for a 100% seal.

Then squirt in from the muzzle, and just put your finger over the muzzle to keep it in. Hold for about 30 sec to a minute, relieving pressure as needed to keep it from blowing past the plug. Put a rag to catch the drip from the muzzle under it, and you are good to go for 24 hrs..... HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips!

WS

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I use one of the plastic (delrin) bore guides, inserted into the action as usual. I put a folded paper towel between the underside of the bore guide and the buttstock, and another paper towel under the muzzle to catch anything that might drip out later from that end.

Then just hold the WipeOut "cone" up tight against the bore guide, with or without the plastic "straw" that comes with the can, and shoot the stuff in for one second or less.

Very soon you'll develop a "feel" for just how long to hold the button, to fill the entire bore without having more than a teaspoon-full or so of foam come out the muzzle end of the bore onto the paper towel.

Nice thing about the bore guide is that it acts as an approximately bore-size expansion chamber to let the WipeOut convert into foam, before it enters the bore.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Very soon you'll develop a "feel" for just how long to hold the button, to fill the entire bore without having more than a teaspoon-full or so of foam come out the muzzle end of the bore onto the paper towel."

Balls! The last time I used it I had it on the curtains, the light and all I saw was a patch of foam heading down the stairs hi atop the dogs hind end. Again thanks for the tip. I do use the type of bore guide you speak of.

WS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to an Aquarium place and purchase some tubing for the airator.slide this over the nosle on your can( about a 4 inch section). Slide the tube in from the breech end and just give a small squirt , wait a bit then squirt some more. Slow and steady until the foam comes ou the muzzle.Hold a patch over the muzzle until foam stops expanding,then remove can.Place a small bucket under the muzzle to catch run off and drips.Doing it this way gets the foam right through the barrel.I found that blocking the breach and squirting from the muzzle formed air blocks which didin't allow the foam to spread right through.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Whopper Stopper; I have/had the same problems and I consider Whipe Out a very good product, but a real mess.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to walmart and buy one can of the outers foam with the plastic tubing on it. The whole black cap and all will pop off and it fits the wipe out can nicely. I just put the tube up in the chamber until I feel it stop in the neck area of the chamber and give a couple of bursts on the applicator. Another tip...When you pull the tube out of the chamber turn it straight up and let the foam kind of melt back down into a liquid. This liquid is handy for putting on bolt faces and removing that crud too.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
What robz said. You can get it at Home Depot too. I use a longer piece. If you can get it up to the bore the tubing seals the breech.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I squirt the stuff in from the muzzle end and immediately close the bolt when the foam appears. Then there is a bit of backlash, that is manageable, that escapes from the muzzle. Never tried it from the bore. I can't imagine why I would change after using wipe out for 2 years now. OBTW, I brush with Butch's for about 10 strokes after the wipeout session....then Jag.....you would be amazed what come out after the wash! You talk about a squeeky clean bore......Just my $.02. Regards, Rick.

John Deer tractors and Sako rifles....just doesn't get much better.

Posts: 51 | Location: NC Missouri | Registered: 31 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought some Kano Kroil to clean my gun barrels.

posted Hide Post
.222 Rem case, sawn off head, push a 6" length of plastic tube over end, push and hold firmly into chamber, good fit in all .222 to .30 cals. 'Controlled' use of pressure on can gives steady fill of bore, when squirts start at muzzle, back off a bit, then you'll feel back pressure telling you that tube well filled, any more will push tube out of chamber and fill the action:-)

Posts: 14 | Location: uk | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Macdonalds straw and tape it over the current tube, and place some tape around the exit end as well to make a seal when pushing into the rifling. I only get drips out the muzzle, and they fall into a trashcan.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i squirt it in from the muzzle and plug the chamber with a pistol cleaning rod with patch loop and enough patch to seal the chamber. there is a little excess that comes back out the muzzle and drips onto a rag or into a bucket. you learn from experience how long to hold the button down. almost no mess at all.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I leave the bolt in and closed. I apply from the muzzle in short bursts with about a two second pause between bursts. It usually takes two short bursts before the foam backs out the muzzle and your done.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take a rag of appropriate size to fill the chamber and push it in with a pistol cleaning rod. This plugs the chamber end. I then put the spray nozzle in the muzzle and let it have a short burst of Wipe-Out...hold the can there to seal off for a second or two. When you release the can, some of the foam will come out of the muzzle. I just leave another rag under my muzzle to catch any of this.

Once you get the hang of it a can goes a looooooong way. It is also the easiest way to clean I have found.

I might add that if you have a wood stock be careful not to get any wipe-out on the wood...it will WIPE OUT the finish. I learned this on my Ruger M77. The gas port is machined right out of the chamber. I didn't get my plug in far enough and the foam squirted out of that little hole and down my stock.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Wipe Out from the muzzle and from the breech end of the barrel. From the muzzle, I put my little finger into the chamber, and squeeze a short burst down the muzzle. When I feel it hit my finger, I wait and instant and stop the spray.

For certain of my rifles (M1's), I have used the method mentioned above of a piece of plastic tubing inserted into the chamber. A piece that will fit over the can's spout is about the same diameter as a 30-06 case. I reverse the process and hold my finger over the barrel and wait for contact. To keep it out of the gas cylinder, I turn the M1 upside down. This also keeps cleaner out of the action when you patch from the muzzle.

It seems to me that powder fouling seems to prevent the Wipe Out from traveling down the bore easily. If I wipe the bore with any oil or bore cleaner, it seems to ease dispersion of the cleaner.

The Outers product with the built in tube is slick and it seems to work well also.

After I get the Wipe Out in the barrel (or any other cleaner for that matter), I put a plastic water bottle over the barrel and use it to catch drips and patches when I start cleaning.
Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I'm with sakorick and budiceale.

Definitely from the muzzle end about 1 second squirt, cover with finger and lean over to look in the chamber. When you see foam plug the chamber with something (closing the bolt on it sounds like an idea I might have to try). I have 3 large patches on a long screwdriver in place and just push into the chamber. It stops the flow at the chamber and then take your finger off the muzzle and some will ooze out onto your rag. About a couple of inches. Wipe off excess with rag and leave the patches in the chamber to use when you clean your gun after 24 hours. I use the big 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 patches. Wrap them around a bore brush and by the time you use all 3 you have a clean bore.

Oh, BTW be sure and angle the nozzle of the WO if you have a new can or it will spray straight down your barrel and out the chamber.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whopper Stopper:
"Very soon you'll develop a "feel" for just how long to hold the button, to fill the entire bore without having more than a teaspoon-full or so of foam come out the muzzle end of the bore onto the paper towel."

Balls! The last time I used it I had it on the curtains, the light and all I saw was a patch of foam heading down the stairs hi atop the dogs hind end. Again thanks for the tip. I do use the type of bore guide you speak of.

WS

Am saying this with a big grin, so hope you won't be offended, it is intended as humour, not criticism...but maybe not everyone CAN develop such a feel. Guess I should have said that I had no trouble developing a feel for it.....

I've heard that Newfoundlanders, Marines, Ukranians, and any other group someone wants to "rag", can break a granite boulder just by handling it......I'm like that when it comes my turn to wash dishes.....or typing.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense taken. I just wish I would of posted the question and read all these fine hints long before I ever gave the can it's first blast down the muzzle. I have since tried it and the slower I go the better it gets. I do use the bore guide and that helps a lot. I must be getting better at it because the family has now returned and even sits around the table watching me. Even the dog has again dropped his guard. None of them were very impressed with my first can and the ensuing catastrophes.
Again thanks to all!

WS

One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted Hide Post
Off the subject a bit........WOODS, outstanding quote from Teddy Roosevelt.

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tazfla:
Off the subject a bit........WOODS, outstanding quote from Teddy Roosevelt.

Thanks

Here's the pic that goes with it

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The stuff will dissolve Dura-Coat and most enamel finishes. Other than that it works great.

I have found that 2 quick hits of the nozzle is enough. It just takes about 20 seconds to expand to fill the bore. Many people just keep adding until it comes out and then it is all over.

Posts: 13 | Location: Ridgefield, WA | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Wash out your Moutain Dew Bottle and put it over that end of the barrel to catch overspill. It also catches the drippings as the foam melts down.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I had the misfortune to let some Wipeout escape and on cleaning up missed some which made its way to the stock.
Now I have a reminder on the stock in the form of a dark stain. Thankfully it is not a top grade stock.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
Mate 1/4 I.D. plastic tube to a 3/8 I.D tube. Insert the 3/8 end into Chamber and insert the Wipe-Out into the 1/4 end.. Push the tubing firmly into the Chamber to make it seal.. Make sure you shake the can well before you start.. Before I learned this From Mr. Wipe-Out I had the same fun as the rest of Ya..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
One last thing.. You must wait for the foam to stop expanding before You pull it out.. If you pull it out to soon it's messy..Learned that 35 Years ago..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
akrange: Thats hilarious! clap

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
So I tried Wipe Out for the 1st thru 4th times last nite Roll Eyes. BTW, I removed the Stocks from the Rifles 1st. They were a 7mmSTW & .338 Win. Mag.

I tried the earplug- Still leaked past & onto floor.

What I settled on worked real good. I rolled the Earplug up (like you do before sticking in your ear), and stuck it into a Bore guide (Chamber end), then I placed in the Chamber, after that I ran 3 seperate patches down the Muzzle (with Cleaning Rod) to sit on top of the Earplug/Bore Guided. Not a single leak.

Now for a question. After reading all the above info that was posted on this thread, I found that I had almost no mess at all....good information. But here is my question. After I had foam out the end of the Muzzle, I leaned the rifles Muzzle end up in the corner. After about an hour, Curiosity was getting to me, so I took my Cleaning Rod, and stuck it in the muzzle. When I pulled it out, you could easily see where the Liquid level was, only about 4" up from Chamber. So, what good is leaving this stuff in over night, if the Foam all dissolves and only covers the first 4" of the Bullets travel?

ps, I ran a patch down after with Sweets on it & the patch looked as though I never even used the Wipe out......What th Hell???

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a smart ass, but did ya read the instructions on the WipeOut can? About the second sentence, it states to leave the rifle horizontal. I find that after a few hours it settles in the bottom of the bore, so after a few hours with the rifle laying on one side, turn it over for the rest of the soak period, say 6 hrs on each side, that gives the entire bore a good treatment. I started out using it with the rifle in a cleaning rest, but it's not easy to put the rifle inverted horizontally in rest, so I just lay it on its side, much easier.

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Your right wrongtarget, my bad. I actually got the cans a couple weeks ago, I read the label then, but not again before I used it.

maybe I'll go ahead & try it the proper way!.....Sheesh.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote