New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triple Seven corrosion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned home from the range, shooting Triple Seven in my Austin & Halleck. Swabbed the bore with two spit patches before heading home.

I was surprised to see how much corrosion was in the barrel 1 hour later when giving a thorough cleaning. My first patch was bright orange

I want to make sure all the corrosion is out of the barrel. Already used Hoppes & Wipe Out with a brush and patch.

Any way to ensure I get all the corrosion out ?

Thanks for any advice !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with corrosion using 777 in either ML's or BPCR. I clean the barrel with plain old generic window cleaner, dry it well, and oil the bore. The Windex won't do anything for copper or lead fouling. If that's an issue I use a regular bore cleaner after the Windex. With the patch bein' orange, the spit on your patches may have started a bit of rust action.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what did you have to drink before you spit on the patches? Big Grinseriously, 777 isn't that bad, cleanshot is probably the best, but the only way to really clean out is to use good old hot soapy water. you have to get rid of the salts and hoppes etc. won't do it. I've never seen a bore rust in a hour, my guess is that you had some residual rust from before

Posts: 13444 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I have the same routine as you for my muzzleloaders. Spitpatching and etc until I get home to do a solvent and hot soapy water bath. I do not think that what you pulled out of the barrel was corrosion from that day, possibly something from before.

Here is a test that a fellow muzzleloader hunter did on the powders, you may be interested to see the result and how long it took.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t...1&highlight=let+rust

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is indeed an interesting test.

I hate to think that corrosion had been in there a couple weeks !! I always take pride in how clean my rifle is.

Thanks for all your' input.

I will have to be more thorough at the range