Find
Notify
Tools

Kroil????????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Is Kroil and effective bore solvent or NOT???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Do a search. KROIL is good at getting under crudded layers so they can be scrubbed out. Not a solvent per se, more a penetrant. It is also said to NOT be good at lubricating (ie., instead of gun oil to coat the bore). It used to be used in conjunction with Shooter's Choice for a time. I use it to follow up after BoreTech Eliminator once I have J-B'd and used foam copper cleaner to start out with a "clean" bore. I use nylon brushes for BoreTech and bronze brushes for the KROIL part.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Do NOT use bronze brushes for bore-tech cause the bore tech reacts to the brush???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All copper solvents react to bronze brushes and bronze jag tips.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I found Kroil by itself no more useful than any other "penetrating oil", which is what it is. It's great for loosening rusted nuts on rusted bolts, but by itself I found it pretty useless for cleaning barrels.

For about eight years I used it mixed 50/50 with Shooter's Choice for cleaning my benchrest rifle barrels, and that combo worked okay. Can't say it showed any advantage over straight Shooter's Choice, though.

So, these days I just use the Shooter's Choice for regular cleaning. If I need to remove copper fouling, I use something stronger.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I keep a gallon of Kroil on hand as a presoak for bolts in my semi-auto firearms-about the only gun related application I've found for it.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
All copper solvents react to bronze brushes and bronze jag tips.

So...if you are using Sweets or other copper removing agent, what should you use to carry your patch...a nylon brush or a SS jag???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I really like Remington Bore Cleaner Bore Cleaning Solvent

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
penetrating oil really comes into its own when you cleaning military surplus rifles. it pulls the junk out of the small pits that are in almost every mil-surp rifle.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:

Why do you like it? I tried it and absolutely detested it.

As for Kroil; I haven't found much use for it. I've heard it's good for lifting lead off of a leaded bore but since I rarely shoot cast bullets and have never had a problem with leading, I wouldn't know.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I have some GM Top Engine cleaner and Marvel Mystery Oil I hear works well also, then there's the Kroil. Yet to use any....yet.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:

Is that the one in the white bottle containing the brown colored abrasive?

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For years, I have kept a can of cigarette-lighter fluid (I'm not a smoker) in my cleaning area and after using copper-removing solvent, I squirt down the brushes and jags to remove the solvent. It works beautifully. You do want to me mindful of the fire hazard created. I would actually classify this practice as very dangerous. So don't use it! But it works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lighter fluid works great on mops and felts after cleaning lug recesses. +1

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Lot's of stuff cleans guns. Some you will like and some you won't. I kind of like Kroil in my program. Kroil on a tight patch over a brush will pull lead out of a pistol in flakes. Run some Powder solvent in to pull out the carbon. Then just soak the barrel with loose patch, wait a bit and follow with wet tight ones for the lead. I use it too on as a finish patch in my rifles and put upside down in the gun closet. Whenever you then grab that rifle some later day, you can run one dry patch and pull out whatever was in the cracks. Plus it's Red. How can you not like Red Oil/solvent stuff?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
lighter fluid is only naptha. Can just buy a gallon can of naptha much cheaper!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Kroil and effective bore solvent or NOT???

It is not. Nor is it made to be so it should not be used as such. It IS a penatrating oil, not a solvent, lube or rust protector. Use it in concert with a good solvent and you will have an excellant combonation. Otherwise, it's not much.

Just as WD-40 is a Water Displacing fluid and nothing else. They are both made for special applications. Use either correctly and nothing is better. Use them for what they weren't made for and they are of little help.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have way too many oils and cleaners on my bench. I have a couple cans of Kroil. I used to use it for the intitial cleaning of getting the powder etc out before wipeout. What I am noticing as my cans of kroil age is the oil that sits on top of the can is turning into gooky shellac like many oils do. Makes me wonder if you use it to store rifles how good it would be...especially if you forgot to wipe it out before shooting.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to run a patch wet with Kroil thru my bores while they are still warm if possible or as soon as I get home from the range. Especially if I can't clean right away. I also like it as my "one wet patch, followed by two dry patches" final touch to cleaning if I plan on shooting the rifle in the next few days.
I don't think it is a very good choice for storage beyond a couple of weeks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NO

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
I've always used break free as my final light coat in the bore, followed by one pass with a dry patch. Seems to work well for me.

I have been using Kroil for cleaning, followed by light coat of break free then dry patches and then J&B for at least 8 or 10 strokes. Then dry patches until clean, and finish with break free and a dry patch.

Posts: 250 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote