New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holland's ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I used some several years ago that a friend gave. It will clean the barrel right down to bare metal.
I thought it worked to good, I like to have some fouling in my barrel. It did clean all the copper out which was what I was after.
I have used shooters choice and kroil mix for many years. it did not work as well as the witch's brew.
I use shooters choice and MC7 one application takes out all the copper. Then I finish with Cleansoil I shoot moly in some of my rifles, and it did not touch the moly in the groves where the witches brew did after several episodes of brushing.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two bottles of it. It works well.
On a related note, I have also used Remington 40X cleaner, JB's Bore Cleaning compound and Iosso paste. All are abrasives and will clean the dark carbon and copper out of your barrel.

There is a youtube video (Believe the target) with Erik Cortina interviewing Frank Green of Bartlein barrels. Frank says he has seen and a pic appears in the video of a rifle barrel scratched by using abrasives and a bronze brush together.

I've used abrasives with a bronze brush and haven't seen any damage based on my borescope but I can't measure groove depth or width by using my borescope.

So, just to be on the safe side, I am now using abrasives only when there is a decent carbon buildup. I also only use a jag and tight fitting patch with abrasives on it to remove the stubborn carbon. It seems to work okay. I use wipeout/patchout to remove copper and gilding metal. I still start with a bronze brush with regular solvent on it to break up the loose stuff in the barrel, then patch it out. I'm now leary of using a bronze brush with Witches Brew or any other abrasive cleaner.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote