Find
Notify
Tools

Dewey .17 Rods
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I am now on my second .17 rod (for HMR) as the first one that was coated bent within a few strokes of the new, close fitting brush. I ordered a new one that is stainless and after using it onece, this has bent. As it has bent, you can feel the rod touching the barrel on the stroke. As the barrel is not stainless, is this going to bugger the barrel?
I have a PH rod that is great but I cant get bronze cored brushes for it. Will I be better sticking to steel cored bronze brushes with the PH or carry on using the Dewey?

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
17 rods bend easily - secretis to run the rod thru 1st and attach the patch or brush and pull it thru rather than pushing it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DW,
I've been shooting 17's for a while and i'm using Dewey rods too and i've never bent one. Are you sure that you're using the right size brushes?
I usually don't brush at all, I let the chemicals do the work on a snug but not tight patch. It sounds to me like you have a tight situation, somewhere. Or maybe you're spending too much time at the gym? Dewey has Parker Hale adaptors available that will solve the brush/jag problem.
Another source would be Sinclair International(do a search)
Johnny, I'm thinking your opening comment is also the cure, the one about the close fitting brush, to close perhaps?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny foreigner

Are you using a bore guide? I've been using a .17 Dewey rod for about five years now with no problems.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using a bore guide and the brushes, guide and rod came from Sinclair Int.
The brushes (no matter what type) all seem to be very tight.
I will see if they do a .17 PH adaptor so I can use the PH rod and Sinclair brushes.

DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bent two of them also. I called Dewey and they said to use pistol brushes as they are shorter and offer less resistance. This worked out OK!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wiktor 2:
I bent two of them also. I called Dewey and they said to use pistol brushes as they are shorter and offer less resistance. This worked out OK!

Now that is a good idea.
If I can't get the adaptor for the PH and Sinclair brushes, I will got that route.
Thanks

DW