New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about solvents - look to the Teas Chart
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know everyone is on the look out for a 100 mpg carb or fuel injection system and a magic solvent that will clean any and all cruddy bores like magic.

Before you believe in magic you should consult a TEAS chart.
The TEAS chart contains the families of ALL solvents that occur in the land of chemistry.
You can't get any more because the number of chemicals to combine is limited.
All you can do is take several bottles of differeing solvents and mix them. This is not really magic.

Certain solvents will cut carbon fouling better than others. Some solvents like ammonia will attack and corrode copper. Others will attack Lead in a shotgun , others attack the poly wad material. Still others attack the plasticizers in ball powders. If you know the chemistry of what you want to attack ammonia, acetone and mineral spirits or somthing similar will probably do the job. Add a little nitro methane or MEK and you should be able to disolve anything. If you can find a can of Strip Ease you will find that it used that approach to be able to strip polyurethane finished off of wood.

There is no magic. Take a look at a Teas Chart and take your pick.

TEAS Chart

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
+1

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
List of solvents

I dont see "Marvell mystery oil" on your list.. Wink

Hoopes #9 and a little JB's works for me.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can look up the MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil and find that it is mostly naptha or mineral spirits. Not much of a mystery or a marvel either.

Marvel Mystery Oil

quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
List of solvents

I dont see "Marvell mystery oil" on your list.. Wink

Hoopes #9 and a little JB's works for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had some health issues recently. The Doctor traced it to chemicals, farming, gun cleaning, etc. Of course I rarely wore protective gear. Afterall I'm just cleaning guns, right? Anyway wear the gloves.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
IMO the solvents and Gun Oils of yesteryear used substances, which would not be allowed today.

Of course, this substances had some properties.

In spite of this the new Gun Oil and solvent versions seem to clean well.

Examples:

Hoppe´s # 9 redistributed.

Break Free in Army packages for Tank Gun bore cleaning had a MOST peculiar smell, TONS of PTFE inside, and you just couldn´t get all off your hands ...

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point I was trying to make is the "new" stuff is not new chemically speaking. It is still solvents from the Teas chart.
If some older solvents are not sold anymore what you are using is what is left on the chart.

quote:
Originally posted by Arminius:
IMO the solvents and Gun Oils of yesteryear used substances, which would not be allowed today.

Of course, this substances had some properties.

In spite of this the new Gun Oil and solvent versions seem to clean well.

Examples:

Hoppe´s # 9 redistributed.

Break Free in Army packages for Tank Gun bore cleaning had a MOST peculiar smell, TONS of PTFE inside, and you just couldn´t get all off your hands ...

Hermann