New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMS Dande Hunt Report 2023
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you had fired it with that stance, your glasses would have gone into orbit, and you would have been left with a bloody nose.

I didn’t say anything because you were not shooting.

I get to see this sort of thing quite often.

I normally keep quiet, which adds to my amusement.

But, sometimes some pesky voice says “tell him!”

And I do.

Which ruins most of the fun rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
LOL Saeed. I've watched enough videos of that thing to know better than to shoot it. I'm not the type that needs to piss on the electric fence to see for myself!

jumping

How does that 700 compare in recoil?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The T.Rex has an energy level of 11,000
The 700 has 14,500 clap

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Ouch!!

Maybe 10 years ago but the old saying is "Wisdom comes with age ; Sometimes age comes alone". I'm trying to avoid the latter!

Cool

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Fantastic my friend! So happy you and Austin had this great experience together. Thank you kindly sir for sharing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had pressed the DSA bulls pretty hard over the previous 6 days so we decided to go up to Dande North

Just not enough Buff?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Congrats Todd. Well done.

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I tried to ignore you because I know exactly what you were trying to do on your first post as well as this one. This is what has gotten you into trouble and you haven't learned. STOP TRYING TO THROW SHADE ON OTHERS TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK BETTER. I recognize passive aggression when I see it. It's not working.

I'll answer both of your posts and be done with you.

To your first post, Dande North, Dande Safari Area, and Dande East are 3 individual concessions that touch each other. Any client who books "Dande" with CMS, regardless of which camp you are booked into, has access to all the Dande areas. I've moved between the 3 areas on numerous occasions, especially on my 2012 Lion hunt as that cat was making the rounds, as well as my 2013 elephant bull hunt as those bulls cover a lot of ground also. Finally took that bull on one of the islands in the North, on the river. The lion hunt, I was booked into Mururu camp on the far west side of Dande, chased him into the North, finally taking him east and south of Pedza, near the Dande East border.

As to your second post, you couldn't be more off the mark. From my hunt report, you'll remember I asked Al on the first day if we could find an old, wide bull, with worn tips and focus on dugga boys only, not herds. On day 2, prior to lunch, we tracked up 5 nice dugga boys but they all had sharp tips. On the same day in the late afternoon, we found 9 dugga boys, a couple being over 40" wide, and watched them join up with a large herd. Amongst that herd was a cow that Al estimated was more than 50" wide. Yep, FIFTY, not forty. All of these bulls had sharp tips as well so I passed.

If you ask why Austin didn't take one of those bulls on day 2, it's because he was originally just an observer and only after we got to camp did I ask if we could get him a license. Being the weekend when we arrived, we didn't get his license to hunt until the morning of day 3, so he wasn't able to go for one of them.

First time I've experienced this in Pedza camp instead of Mururu camp, but we heard lions calling all night of the second night. This appeared to put the buffalo in DSA on high alert and they were pretty spooky. Also, it rained that same night causing the game to scatter as water was now everywhere, including large pools in the roads, making it more difficult to locate lone or small dugga boy groups that were fresh. We found MANY herds, which we were not targeting.

Day 3 was difficult because it rained most of the day.

We spent all day on day 4, tracking that large old dugga boy that didn't give Austin a shot opportunity. We tracked him all day long without looking for others, until he took us into a jess block and joined a herd.

We spent a lot of the day on day 5 in camp as it was Austin's birthday, we needed a bit of a break from the long tracking job on day 4, and really just didn't go hard that day.

Day 6, early morning, since Austin was the shooter, he didn't care about worn or sharp tips, nor did he care about dugga boys, just a mature bull. We chased a herd of about 50 that day, got out in front of them, and he shot his bull.

Evening of day 6, we discussed the number of bulls we had looked over with sharp tips and decided to try Dande North because there are a lot of dugga boys in that area, probably due to the rugged terrain. Our hopes were to find a different group of bulls in an attempt to find one with worn tips. I told Al we could just focus on a good, large, mature bull but he was determined to pull out all the stops to find the type of bull I first said I wanted to pursue.

We succeeded. Period. Nothing more or less than that. We took both bulls in the first 7 days. When I hunted Dande in June / July of 2019, I took 2 bulls in 9 days but could have finished on day 3 if I didn't pass up a good one at 9:00 am on day 1. It was green and thick during that hunt but we had no problem finding buffalo. I mentioned that we went up to the north for a change of pace on that hunt, found a very fresh dugga boy track, but Al and I both knew I was not in shape to pursue.

Now, please, go cast your fishing line in another pond.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Fantastic my friend! So happy you and Austin had this great experience together. Thank you kindly sir for sharing!

Lane, we can try to get together some time next week and see if the Starlink unit will work at your place. Just give me a shout Monday or so.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Andrew, I tried to ignore you because I know exactly what you were trying to do on your first post as well as this one. This is what has gotten you into trouble and you haven't learned. STOP TRYING TO THROW SHADE ON OTHERS TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK BETTER. I recognize passive aggression when I see it. It's not working.

I'll answer both of your posts and be done with you.

To your first post, Dande North, Dande Safari Area, and Dande East are 3 individual concessions that touch each other. Any client who books "Dande" with CMS, regardless of which camp you are booked into, has access to all the Dande areas. I've moved between the 3 areas on numerous occasions, especially on my 2012 Lion hunt as that cat was making the rounds, as well as my 2013 elephant bull hunt as those bulls cover a lot of ground also. Finally took that bull on one of the islands in the North, on the river. The lion hunt, I was booked into Mururu camp on the far west side of Dande, chased him into the North, finally taking him east and south of Pedza, near the Dande East border.

As to your second post, you couldn't be more off the mark. From my hunt report, you'll remember I asked Al on the first day if we could find an old, wide bull, with worn tips and focus on dugga boys only, not herds. On day 2, prior to lunch, we tracked up 5 nice dugga boys but they all had sharp tips. On the same day in the late afternoon, we found 9 dugga boys, a couple being over 40" wide, and watched them join up with a large herd. Amongst that herd was a cow that Al estimated was more than 50" wide. Yep, FIFTY, not forty. All of these bulls had sharp tips as well so I passed.

If you ask why Austin didn't take one of those bulls on day 2, it's because he was originally just an observer and only after we got to camp did I ask if we could get him a license. Being the weekend when we arrived, we didn't get his license to hunt until the morning of day 3, so he wasn't able to go for one of them.

First time I've experienced this in Pedza camp instead of Mururu camp, but we heard lions calling all night of the second night. This appeared to put the buffalo in DSA on high alert and they were pretty spooky. Also, it rained that same night causing the game to scatter as water was now everywhere, including large pools in the roads, making it more difficult to locate lone or small dugga boy groups that were fresh. We found MANY herds, which we were not targeting.

Day 3 was difficult because it rained most of the day.

We spent all day on day 4, tracking that large old dugga boy that didn't give Austin a shot opportunity. We tracked him all day long without looking for others, until he took us into a jess block and joined a herd.

We spent a lot of the day on day 5 in camp as it was Austin's birthday, we needed a bit of a break from the long tracking job on day 4, and really just didn't go hard that day.

Day 6, early morning, since Austin was the shooter, he didn't care about worn or sharp tips, nor did he care about dugga boys, just a mature bull. We chased a herd of about 50 that day, got out in front of them, and he shot his bull.

Evening of day 6, we discussed the number of bulls we had looked over with sharp tips and decided to try Dande North because there are a lot of dugga boys in that area, probably due to the rugged terrain. Our hopes were to find a different group of bulls in an attempt to find one with worn tips. I told Al we could just focus on a good, large, mature bull but he was determined to pull out all the stops to find the type of bull I first said I wanted to pursue.

We succeeded. Period. Nothing more or less than that. We took both bulls in the first 7 days. When I hunted Dande in June / July of 2019, I took 2 bulls in 9 days but could have finished on day 3 if I didn't pass up a good one at 9:00 am on day 1. It was green and thick during that hunt but we had no problem finding buffalo. I mentioned that we went up to the north for a change of pace on that hunt, found a very fresh dugga boy track, but Al and I both knew I was not in shape to pursue.

Now, please, go cast your fishing line in another pond.

Well that more than answered my simple questions. I had no idea that you could switch between concessions and you did well to move as I stated that is a great buff so well done on a great hunt with your son

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
STOP TRYING TO THROW SHADE ON OTHERS TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK BETTER.

The CLASSIC BUZZ behavior!

Made horrible, unacceptable, decisions, and blames members of AR for them! clap

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
My query is that as they are separate concessions you have to pay twice to switch areas and why not book the better which seems to be the North?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Many hunters traveling to Africa are looking for the best hunt that they are able to afford.

Booking 1 on 1 is preferable to booking 2 hunters with 1 PH in my mind. Changing hunting locations is also what some hunters look at. I booked a hunt a few years back and added additional days for moving days. I did not care what i was hunting as i wanted my wife to be able to see different areas of Africa. I let it up to the Ph to find something for me to hunt at each location that I have not taken before. We worked this out before hand and had a great time. We stayed in 5 different camps or lodges. Primary animals on that trip were nyala and kudu, and if we had the opportunity for a mountain reedbuck that was a plus. I was able to take a 28 1/2 inch and 29 1/2 inch nyala plus a 61 1/2 inch kudu. So from my stand point moving around was the way to go. Plus my wife had a great time also.

In my mind moving to a new location to find the animal that you are looking for is not an issue. Plus if what you are looking for is not found where you are currently hunting changing locations is the way to go and if you find what you are looking for then it becomes “you made the right decision”. Bottom line is the hunter is paying for this. It only become an issue is you are moving into a camp that another hunter is hunting out of. I have had that happen one time and i was asked and did not object the another hunter joining me in camp.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1578 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It certainly paid off and that is a serious Buff

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The changing of camps can be a two fold situation for both parties. For the operator, if the whole concession is open for hunting and the client has booked a spot on the opposite end but wishes to take advantage of the north end then the operator is consuming vast amounts of time, energy, resources and gas to accommodate. In the end , if the client is of good condition and won’t get worn down by the early mornings and late nights he wins. I think communication is best always. It doesn’t matter if it’s a huge operator or a mom and pop operator. Having a proper agent who will tell you the honest truth sometimes makes all the difference in the world. Glad this gentleman had a hunt that fulfilled his expectation and then some! CongratulationsSmiler)

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The Dande North area isn't "Better" than DSA or Dande East. It's simply additional lands available to the hunter who books into "Dande" with CMS. In fact, Dande North is a communal area with large villages and stores. Dande Safari Area is a National Parks Safari Area, with no human settlements.

There is no additional concession fee to be paid if you go between the 3 concessions.

There is no need to move camp to move between the 3 concessions. If you were in the North and wanted to move to the East for the duration of the safari, it might be beneficial time wise to move camps to minimize driving, and vice versa, but generally, you just drive a few extra miles each morning to the other area and are back in your same camp that evening.

Mountain out of a mole hill this discussion has become. Simply stated once again, we only drove up to the North concession on the day I shot my bull as we had looked over A LOT of dugga boy groups on the first 5 days in the DSA and didn't find one with worn tips. We just went there to look over a different group of animals. Period. Successful.

One other small consideration for driving to the North that day. It was hot. HOT. The north camp, which we thought we'd stop by if not successful that morning, has the swimming pool. Plans were to cool off in the pool while we waited out the heat of the day. Didn't make it there that morning as we shot my bull about 9:00 am or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Saeed, maybe I didnt understand it properly but, if something is unacceptable for me is to use a forum, even if it is yours, to talk bullshit about other person that is not here now. The issues you might have with Buzz you solve it personally with him. Precesily in this thread Todd is telling us about a good hunt he and his son did with CMS Safaris, why are you using this to do that? I dont think that is a good thing to do.
Also I want to say I know Buzz for many years, he is strong character and fast response person but he is a good person also, and never tell a lie to me.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spanishhunter:
quote:
quote:

Saeed, maybe I didnt understand it properly but, if something is unacceptable for me is to use a forum, even if it is yours, to talk bullshit about other person that is not here now. The issues you might have with Buzz you solve it personally with him. Precesily in this thread Todd is telling us about a good hunt he and his son did with CMS Safaris, why are you using this to do that? I dont think that is a good thing to do.
Also I want to say I know Buzz for many years, he is strong character and fast response person but he is a good person also, and never tell a lie to me.

Frankly, I had high regards for Buzz before too.

But him coming on the forum, and accusing everyone of not being so nice to him, because he instigated stupid policies himself.

Like charging NON REFUNDABLE trophy fees, and blanking clients faces, including those who didn’t mind showing theirs, is totally unacceptable to me.

Read his post, you will see what I mean!

Todd and his son had a great hunt.

They enjoyed it.

That is what matters.

Todd was referring to Andrew, and what he said applies better to Buzz!

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Great report, Todd. I am glad you and your son had such a fine time.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But him coming on the forum, and accusing everyone of not being so nice to him, because he instigated stupid policies himself.

Like charging NON REFUNDABLE trophy fees, and blanking clients faces, including those who didn’t mind showing theirs, is totally unacceptable to me.

They enjoyed it.

That is what matters.

Saeed I read the post you are talking about, we all can make mistakes, including you and me. I do understand Buzz reasons to do what he did and I do understand your point of disagree about blurring faces, I also had a blank face in one of CMS pics and I know Buzz knows I dont like to hide, but I understand his point, is difficult to ask all hunters before posting pics and blanking all faces is very sad, but he is doing it to try to protect us from stupid antis.
You had the explanation for blank faces and you had it for the trophy fees policy that he later change right? Now he decided to stop posting for a while and he also explained his reasons. That should be the end of it, and anything else between you both should be solve it between you both and not just writing in Todds report that Buzz is making horrible decissions and blaming others for it. For me that means talking bad of someone else.
I dont know you personally, but is already many years that I am reading your posts and even had the chance of chatting you a bit, my opinion is you are a gentleman, same as is Buzz, which I consider my friend, so please... we hunters are being attacked daily and we should stay together or we will end vanishing. Outfitter life, specially in Zim, is very difficult and Buzz and Myles are doing a great work for us overthere with their policies showing the world what hunting and conservation is same thing. Please Saeed, lets not point on the little differences and try to make our world bigger not smaller ok?
Best regards

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They enjoyed it.

That is what matters.

Saeed I read the post you are talking about, we all can make mistakes, including you and me. I do understand Buzz reasons to do what he did and I do understand your point of disagree about blurring faces, I also had a blank face in one of CMS pics and I know Buzz knows I dont like to hide, but I understand his point, is difficult to ask all hunters before posting pics and blanking all faces is very sad, but he is doing it to try to protect us from stupid antis.
You had the explanation for blank faces and you had it for the trophy fees policy that he later change right? Now he decided to stop posting for a while and he also explained his reasons. That should be the end of it, and anything else between you both should be solve it between you both and not just writing in Todds report that Buzz is making horrible decissions and blaming others for it. For me that means talking bad of someone else.
I dont know you personally, but is already many years that I am reading your posts and even had the chance of chatting you a bit, my opinion is you are a gentleman, same as is Buzz, which I consider my friend, so please... we hunters are being attacked daily and we should stay together or we will end vanishing. Outfitter life, specially in Zim, is very difficult and Buzz and Myles are doing a great work for us overthere with their policies showing the world what hunting and conservation is same thing. Please Saeed, lets not point on the little differences and try to make our world bigger not smaller ok?
Best regards

We hunters are attacked daily??

Of course we are.

Does that mean we should keep our mouths shut when one of our own does some sometime so stupid it defies comprehension??

And to add insult to injury he blames all of us here on the forums for his stupid mistakes??

If so, then we do deserve to be at the receiving end of lots of criticism!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking a picture of the stove. I had one, but must have accidentally deleted it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Thanks for taking a picture of the stove. I had one, but must have accidentally deleted it.

Amazing the meals they turn out on that old stove isn't it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Amazing the meals they turn out on that old stove isn't it.

Yes they are.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the report.
The second buff is just awesome!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Thank you for the report.
The second buff is just awesome!

Thank you sir.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Dande North area isn't "Better" than DSA or Dande East. It's simply additional lands available to the hunter who books into "Dande" with CMS. In fact, Dande North is a communal area with large villages and stores. Dande Safari Area is a National Parks Safari Area, with no human settlements.

There is no additional concession fee to be paid if you go between the 3 concessions.

There is no need to move camp to move between the 3 concessions. If you were in the North and wanted to move to the East for the duration of the safari, it might be beneficial time wise to move camps to minimize driving, and vice versa, but generally, you just drive a few extra miles each morning to the other area and are back in your same camp that evening.

Mountain out of a mole hill this discussion has become. Simply stated once again, we only drove up to the North concession on the day I shot my bull as we had looked over A LOT of dugga boy groups on the first 5 days in the DSA and didn't find one with worn tips. We just went there to look over a different group of animals. Period. Successful.

One other small consideration for driving to the North that day. It was hot. HOT. The north camp, which we thought we'd stop by if not successful that morning, has the swimming pool. Plans were to cool off in the pool while we waited out the heat of the day. Didn't make it there that morning as we shot my bull about 9:00 am or so.
Todd was that not my question regarding Dande being one block? So your license covers three regions that you are allowed to hunt?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a super buff. I would shoot an old warrior over a wide one every day. One day I might get one. Love the pic from Matombo. Not that I enjoy pool pictures with dudes . How would you compare hunting with that double with red dot and a regular one with scope? (Blaser of course)

Posts: 190 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Odin:
Congrats on a super buff. I would shoot an old warrior over a wide one every day. One day I might get one. Love the pic from Matombo. Not that I enjoy pool pictures with dudes . How would you compare hunting with that double with red dot and a regular one with scope? (Blaser of course)

Hello Odin. Love that handle ... Odin!

I'm with you, the old warrior bull is what I was interested in, and hunted via stalking in the thick stuff. The more challenging the hunt the better, at least for my tastes.

On the red dot, I removed the scope from my 9.3x74R double and replaced it with a red dot. I've not hunted with it yet so I can't say for sure at this time. I was able to make 150 to 200 yard shots with the scope reliably but I think the dot will be good to 150 yards or so without a problem. I really need to shoot it at the range a bit more to say for sure. I just haven't had the time, or should say, I haven't MADE the time to wring it out yet.

On the 500NE I used for this hunt, it was night and day better than open sights. I just can't focus properly on open sights any longer. When I lined up on this bull, that dot gave me a very clear and confident sight picture at around 40 yards. I also found it very fast to reacquire the target after recoil for follow up shots. I found it very easy to use. I turned it on at the range on the first day and never turned it off until packing for the flight home.

Speaking with Al, my PH, he still prefers the open sights for PH use. I don't want to misquote him but I believe he said the dot doesn't work as well as open sights at extreme close quarters where a PH is likely to fire his weapon. I definitely respect and value Al's opinion so I think the red dot on a double is maybe a better client system. I know several PHs that do have the dot so maybe some will chime in with their opinions.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Never met a professional hunter with anything but a traditional open site.

That is wha I would use in their place too.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Saeed, a couple of the CMS PHs have the red dot if I'm not mistaken. Keith Wall and Dean Kendall. I may be mistaken about Dean but I met him in camp on my 2019 hunt and I'm sure I saw his bolt action with the dot. Keith was in camp with Spanishunter the day I arrived this time and he stated he has it on his rifle.

Al told us of an ele bull he had to shoot in self defense this year at extreme close range, close enough to have to move out of the way when it fell. I think in that case, having a full open view of the sights would be a bit faster.

I still like irons but as my eyes continue downhill with age, the dot is the best option for me, being in between a scope and irons.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Iron sights don't move but gadgets will

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Odin:

Hello Odin. Love that handle ... Odin!

I'm with you, the old warrior bull is what I was interested in, and hunted via stalking in the thick stuff. The more challenging the hunt the better, at least for my tastes.

On the red dot, I removed the scope from my 9.3x74R double and replaced it with a red dot. I've not hunted with it yet so I can't say for sure at this time. I was able to make 150 to 200 yard shots with the scope reliably but I think the dot will be good to 150 yards or so without a problem. I really need to shoot it at the range a bit more to say for sure. I just haven't had the time, or should say, I haven't MADE the time to wring it out yet.

On the 500NE I used for this hunt, it was night and day better than open sights. I just can't focus properly on open sights any longer. When I lined up on this bull, that dot gave me a very clear and confident sight picture at around 40 yards. I also found it very fast to reacquire the target after recoil for follow up shots. I found it very easy to use. I turned it on at the range on the first day and never turned it off until packing for the flight home.

Speaking with Al, my PH, he still prefers the open sights for PH use. I don't want to misquote him but I believe he said the dot doesn't work as well as open sights at extreme close quarters where a PH is likely to fire his weapon. I definitely respect and value Al's opinion so I think the red dot on a double is maybe a better client system. I know several PHs that do have the dot so maybe some will chime in with their opinions.

I understand both " schools " - the iron sight is faster on close range and a red dot helps a lot in aiming when your eyes are not in the 25 year old class anymore.
But have you tried a red fiber optic front sight ? I had that on my VC double and shot a buffalo cow on 65-70 yards and a tuskless on 15-20 yards with it. It is just like shooting with a red dot sight, but in the same way as a iron sight. Worked perfectly in the African sun as the fiber optic picks up the sun and shine like a red dot.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

I once shot an elephant utilizing my 500 with a red dot on it . When I went to make an insurance shot, there was no red dot to be seen . It had broken.

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

I once shot an elephant utilizing my 500 with a red dot on it . When I went to make an insurance shot, there was no red dot to be seen . It had broken.
I wonder when the red dot is illuminated you could not paint a dot over it on the screen?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:

We’ll played Todd, especially the weight loss. After my first safari in 2012, I lost 20 pounds and finally had a hernia repaired and it really helped for my second safari in 2013.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt report and photos, Todd! Love that bull. Even better up close! I have yet to hunt the Zambezi Valley but it's on my list for sure.

My 2 cents from the comments here:

Buzz has always been very honest with me and I'd book with him without hesitation.

All of my PHs have used just iron sights except for one, Zim PH Scott Bailey has red dot on his CZ 416 Rigby. I did some dry firing with it and could definitely see putting them on my big bores if my eyes ever demand it.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report and Great Photos!!

Posts: 72 | Location: South Louisiana | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Great Buffs Congrats!!! Love the Hyena!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I saw Buzz and Myles at DSC 2 days ago. I always look forward to seeing them and chatting a bit. They are just top notch folks, running a top notch outfit. I plan to continue hunting with them for as long as I can.

Austin and I missed seeing Alan this time around as he didn't make the trip, but hopefully we'll be returning for more buffalo hunting in 2025. Possibly late this year if we get some positive momentum change in the new home construction business this spring / summer.