New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yes boys, and girls, Zambia is open for hunting!
A few words regarding air travel first. In the past, there have been some real horror stories regarding British Airways. Maybe our experience with BA was an anomaly....we could not have been more satisfied with their service. Three couples, three gun boxes, six pieces of soft-sided bags, and all arrived safely in both directions. Denver-London(Heathrow)-Lusaka-Johannesburg-London(Heathrow)-Denver. We did request the boarding agents check LIBRA (Local Inventory Baggage Reconciliation Authorization)to confirm our sporting firearms were aboard the A/C. The agents were friendly, and courteous, and made the appropriate check in their computers to verify our bags/firearms were on board. The flights were on time in both directions, I might add.
Now for the hunt info: We hunted with Muchinga Adventures, Ltd. in the Chanjusi GMA. The camp is situated on the east bank of the Luangwa River, and allows a good view of various game species throughout the day. At night, the sounds of hyena, hippo, elephant, lion,were evident. And, our sorta' resident leopard was in attendance several nights, strolling thru the camp! There are numerous crocs in the Luangwa River. On two separate occasions we watched as the "flat dogs" took an impala,and a bushbuck. Never ANY thought of taking a swim with these ancient saurians. The number one priority was for lion and leopard. Buffalo, and several species of plains game were also included. Total count: Two lion, two leopard, three buffalo, two hippo, two Cookson's wildebeeste, two bushbuck, three puku, one kudu, two common waterbuck two impala, and numerous guineafowl and dove. Perhaps not a huge bag, considering three hunters. But this was not the first time in Africa for any of us, and consequently, we had taken many of the available species on other hunts.
As most of you know, Zambia was closed to big game hunting for two years. No doubt poaching was/is endemic. The vast numbers of plains game were not in attendance. Obviously poaching has diminished the herds. However, the cats, especially leopard, seem to have done quite well in Chanjusi. Also, buffalo were in great numbers. I counted more than a thousand head while there. I can't say how many the others saw, but I'm certain their count would be consistant. Keep in mind, the cats took most of our efforts...not buffalo. In fact, I hunted bufflo only on three occasions. Hunting on the open plain was a new experience for me. I've shot five ol' dugga boys in Zim, and none were more than 40yds distant. The one in Zambia, was at 212yds. (Measured later with range finder) With all the noses, ears, and eyes searching for danger, there was no way to approach closer to them. Also my first experience using shooting sticks. I must admit, without them, the shot would have posed a monumental challange. Good fortune; the bull dropped in his tracks. For those interested, I shoot a .416 Taylor,with a Leupold 1.5-5x, and use only 400gr bullets. on this hunt, I had loaded Swift A-Frames at 2390fps. (The bullet drop was roughly 4". The impact point was on the point of the right shoulder; the bullet was recovered during the cutting/gutting. The retained weight 382grs) This calibre/bullet combo has served my well throughout the years. It has been used on everything from duiker to elephant,(TBSH solids for jumbo)with wonderful success. The other rifles utilized on the hunt: Ruger .416Rigby, factory Federal ammo, and M-70 .375 H&H, 300gr. Swift A-Frame handloads. Good choices, all.
For anyone considering Zambia, and want info re: Muchinga Adventures, Ltd. Contact: John DuPlooy, e-mail: johndp@zamnet.zm or website: http://bwanabryan.home.att.net
As an aside; not one of the six of us had any complaints with the entire operation provided by this safari operator. And the food, WOW! Shadrek, the chef, is a magician. The first time in fifteen trips to Africa I gained weight eating camp food! All-in-all, another f...... WONDERFUL time in Africa!

Respectfully submitted, J.L.Schott
[Smile]

Posts: 96 | Location: Evergreen,Co., USA | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good time, I will definitely keep this outfitter in mind when planning in the future. I have always wanted to go to Zambia, primarily for the swamp animals, and it's good to hear of your success.

Congrats.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was really glad to hear your positive report on Zambia. We hunted the Luangwa and Bangweulu in 98 and 2000 and really loved the areas and had wonderful safaris. Glad to hear that the poaching has not kiled all the fabulous hunting there.

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, sounds like a wonderful hunt. Got any pictures?

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too hunted with Muchinga Adventures just a few weeks ago. My wife and I hunted the Bangweulu Swamp first where I took a sitatunga the first day. Then afterward a black lechwe. We then proceeded to take Kafue lechwe, Crawshay's Defassa waterbuck, puku, Chobe bushbuck, ect. It was a great hunt as Johnny du Plooy's nephew, Alister, was our PH and did a great job. All trophies were taken with a handgun. Unfortunately, we also gained weight due to the great food.

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask me who the dumb-butt was who packed all his kit, and then left 12 rolls of exposed film in the chalet. As soon as the film arrives, I'll post some fotos. JLS

Posts: 96 | Location: Evergreen,Co., USA | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mr. Schott sent me some pictures to post.

-

-

-

Regards,

Terry

[ 09-02-2003, 07:16: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
MAH,

Did Karen have to climb any trees in Zambia? [Big Grin]

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, Karen did have to climb trees in Zambia. After wading in leech-infested, over-your knees, ice cold water, before daylight, in the Bangweulu swamp, she then climbed up into the machan. This is the normal MOA for hunting sitatunga. The machen is basically a tree-stand, and I'm using the word "treestand" loosely, built apparently by some redneck from Rogersville! [Wink] [Wink]

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the report and pictures. I was wondering how much game would be left because I'm sure the poachers had a field day with Zambia closed to hunting for so long. I would love to hunt in Capstick's old haunts on the Luangwa river. It looks like you all did GREAT! Congratulations!

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JL,

Well Done!! The Lion & Leopard look fantastic....

Lets see some more pics.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your lion and leopard and a great safari!!! I am unfamiliar with the hunting in Zambia compared to Botswana and Tanzania, besides Cookson wildebeest and puku are there any species only available in Zambia? Are there available species that cannot be taken? Does Zambia have the same 21 day requirement as Tanzania does for cat? (I keep thinking up more things to ask... how do safari prices compare to Tanzania and Botswana?)
Thanks, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Black lechwe and Kafue lechwe are available only in Zambia. Both are beautiful animals.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear that Zambia is open again to hunting. Sounds like you thouroughly enjoyed your hunt and had a great time. Great Leopards from the photos!

The lion? Difficult to judge from the photo but I would say it seems to be a 4-5 year old. Beginning his prime breeding stage and not fully matured as can be seen by the undeveloped mane and light "spots on the hind leg. If left for another 3-5 years, the mane on that cat would have probably doubled and one would have had a proud trophy.

In my opinion, too often PH's guarantee a lion to their clients and end up having them shoot a "young" lion to fulfill their promise.

Sad but true....

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Awesome Leopard and Lion J.L. I can tell by your grin you must have had a wonderful trip.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamitch: Yes,we did indeed, have a wonderful hunt, thank you very much. As to the "spots" you think you see on the repo foto....those are ripples in the skin. I looked over more than two dozen fotos of this cat, and there were NO spots. This particular lion had battle scars, and teeth well worn,and hide going grey. Age judged at eight, or nine, and likely past his prime.
And the reference to "Guaranteed" lion by some P/H's. I can't speak for the goings-on in Tanzania, but I can say first-hand, in Zambia with our P/H, there was NO guarantee of lion. And finally; you're correct about the fact this lion did not have an MGM mane. I can't explain why some do, and some don't. I saw a huge, beautiful, pride male with absolutely NO mane. (He appeared to have just come from the barber shop at boot camp!) The majority of the lion we saw in the Chanjusi GMA, in the Luangwa Valley did not have tremendous manes. Some were better than the one I shot, but this one was my choice. Sure, we all dream of a big 'ol scruffy fur-faced rascal, but the fact is, if you have a one-time opportunity....you better make the most of it. To shoot, or not shoot, is the decision of the client, and he/she must live with that decision every time they relive their experience. As for me, rest assured I would NOT shoot an immature lion, I do know the difference.
Respectfully, J.L.Schott

one of us
posted Hide Post
J.L. Schott,

Perhaps you are right about the spots being ripples. My main point was to raise the issue that too many "un-aged" lions are being shot because PH's want to guarantee to their clients 100% success! This is a fact, not only in Tanzania but everywhere else in Africa where lions are hunted! For anyone that has been to either the Dallas, Houston or SCI shows, they will have seen countless full mounts of lions taken. Practically none that I have seen are "aged" representatives of the species.

Back to your lion, if that was the approximate age of your lion judged in the field then I have nothing against it - Not that I have any right to have anything against it. Those were just my comments. An 7-8 year old male lion, if found out of a pride is the minimum age a lion should be hunted. Again this is my opinion. but it mirrors that of many researchers on the topic.

Once again congratulations on your hunt.

regards,
Bwanamich

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JL- Those "MGM" manes seem to be coming(still!) from RSA. Gosh, I wonder how a free ranging lion of 8-10 years of age can have that belly mane extend all the way to the reproductive organ!

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crane,
Those MGM lions from RSA - witha mane as you describe - is most definetely a product of "canned" lion hunting....
The poor beasts are bred and reared in semi-captivity in enclosed compounds. hunting them is the equivalent of goint o the NY zoo and shooting one of their lions in their compound!
Disgusting practice and I am still wandering how it can still be in practice.

Not to say that Huge maned lions do not exist in the natural wild; they do!

posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am told by ranchers and a very good PH in Namibia that the thorn bush pulls the mane out.
Most free ranging lions in brushy areas have scruffy, ragged manes.

On the open savanna is a different story.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting cat,
That is true but the thorns will not remove mane hair to the extent that you end up with a "bald" spot. Old maneless lions exist even in Savanna country so IMO in such situations it is genetic.

Happy hunting