Find
Notify
Tools

46 In. 2002 Tanzania Buff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys:

What I did is created a DOC file with the picture and text together. This will take a few minutes to load. I won't do it this way in the future. I will just stick to JPG files, they load much faster. Here are some pics of my plains game that I took with my Buff in Tanzania.

I used Safari Trackers in Tanzania, owned and operated by Adam Clemems. There was a few mix ups on the hunt, but all in all we had a GREAT HUNT.

These ~!@#$%^&*() URL's are a pain in the ASS. Click on web page link below to download pic and read the whole hunting story of the buff.

web page

This is a Hartebeast I took with a 300 RUM at about 185 yards. Rem factory 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Hits like the hammer of THOR!!

-

This Impala was shot at about 225 yards, again with the 300 RUM...

-

This Warthog was sleeping underneath a small tree, it never knew what hit him, again 300 RUM, close though, about 85 yards.

-

This Zebra I shot on the very last day, the last hour of the hunt. He was about 150 yards, again 300 RUM, went 10 yards and dropped.

-

And one more shot of my 46 in. Buff, taken at about 125 yards using a 416 Rem Mag custom, 400 grn Swift A Frames.

-

[ 03-05-2003, 08:40: Message edited by: PAHunter ]

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
PAHunter,

Are you trying to post a picture? If so, the URL needs to end in ".jpg"

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Terry:

Thanks for the help, yeah I know about JPG's... I was trying to get fancy with combined JPG &.doc files but my personal space on AOL is a pain in the ass to work with.....LOL

I have been playing with these computers to much, I should be hunting putty cats..... BIG putty cats.

Regards... Jim P

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Great pictures. Congratulations on your hunt. What concession did you hunt? I love those Tanzania zebra. I'm making a rug of mine (if it ever gets here).

Your the second person who said they had problems with Adam Clements in Tanzania last season. What's up with that?

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Terry:

We hunted the Selous in Tanzania, blocks 1 & 2. When we showed up in camp and sighted in our rifles my PH Zayne Van Der Merwe said we have a small problem!

He said ONLY 2 of the 4 hunters in camp had permits for Zebra, Warthog, Impala, & Wildebeast. The only thing my permit covered was a Buffalo & a Hartbeast. I said hold your horses bucko, and wipped out my signed contract from Jeff Martinell, the booking agent. He said he would sort it out. They did, three days later.

Needless to say, my permits did not come until 3 days later. So my first 4 days of a 7 day hunt I had to pass up some REAL nice animals. One was a big Stallion Zebra. But I was lucky, I made up for him on the last day of the hunt.

On the third day there, the generator broke, which ment we had no electricity for the remainder of the hunt. No big deal really, but sorely missed COLD drinks.

On the fourth day day, the cook tent burned to the ground. This didn't cost us any hardship in the least.

They did get the permit thing sorted out, but it could have been a disaster.

All in all, the PH's were FIRST CLASS, that includes Wayne Clark, the game was plentiful, and I scored on a BIG BUFF.

I had a small chance at a HUGE Wildebeast, Record Book Stuff, but could not get a clean shot at the bugger.

That is why it is ALWAYS recomended that you talk to someone who hunted with your outfit.

Hey BIG SAM..... drop me a line will ya...

Regards.... Jim P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Fantastic hunt! I loved the Buffalo hunting story as it really adds to the photos. 46 inches...WOW!

Well done!

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
PAHunter,
Great story and awesome Buffalo. I had to read it through a couple of times it was so interesting. Congratulations on a fine trip and excellent trophies.
Take care,
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi David C & 470 Mbogo:

Thanks for the kind words on the Buffalo story. I like to write but .... I can't spell for shit..LOL

I am a member of SFI, and did send a copy of my Buff story to SFI magazine but never even received a responce, soooo I guess the hell with them.

I am in the midst of planning an African hunt for 2004. Am looking at Leopard & plains game, maybe in Zim. I have seen some decent packages from outfitters in the past few months.

Regards... Jim P

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I remember that Buff when you posted it after you came back this last summer. But, this is a different picture, isn't it? I think I like this one better. I he looks bigger. Not that he looked small in the other photo.

Man, I love Buffalo and that is a dandy one!

That is a great looking Zebra as well.

Cangrats again!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wendell:

Nope this is the same one I shot last August. I have quite a few pics of him though.

In the last pic of the series, notice how high the grass is behind me in the picture, that is what we were tracking him in. If he came for us, I don't think we could of stopped him in time before he got to us.

It's funny, I just watched Mark Sullivans video, Black Death. If I saw that video before I went for Buff I would be carrying a Double 600 Nitro Express..... LOL

Glad yo liked the Buff..

Regards.. Jim P.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Absolutely magnificient! Way to go! [Cool]

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:
In the last pic of the series, notice how high the grass is behind me in the picture, that is what we were tracking him in. If he came for us, I don't think we could of stopped him in time before he got to us.

I do not think a charge would have been much of a problem, he couldn't come at you very fast without those huge horns getting caught up in all that grass!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JIM,

Again, nice indeed! I saw this boy in the Head Shed while we were there.

I got word that our trophy shipment is in at NY. Our importer has them on the way to Atlanta. They went by way of England. S.O.P. from what she says.

Once we can verify the contents, I will post our hunt too. I need to work on the picture part.

We are looking at 2005 and want Trophy Buff/Leopard with area plains game. This may become reduced as time (and prices) go by. Often times our aspirations are tempered by the wallet. You can use that if you like.

Talk with you soon.

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sam:

I did not get my trophys yet? I am still waiting.

God I hope mine aren't lost in transit.... Hmmmm

Drop me a line, email Stallion43@aol.com

Regards Jim P.

<Snake>
posted
Hey Jim I also saw your buff in the skinning shed when I was there - *very* nice. My stuff must have come in with Sam's because I also got notified last week that it was at JFK. If you need contact info for the customs agent there let me know...

Mike

posted Hide Post
Damn it all. I was just starting to get past yours and Wendells 2002 buffalo and here you go putting it up again! Well, there'll be little sleep tonight. [Wink]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
PAHunter,

Great story and great buff. Your PH was right, you will be hard pressed to find anything better. Now you can start hunting buff just for the fun of it [Wink] .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I'd trade cold drinks for the rest of my LIFE for a buffalo like that. [Big Grin] Good job.
The permits sounded like a real mess up, but the other stuff is just life on safari.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JIM,

Got word that there were 6 more crates due out this week from Tanzania. This is supposed to be the last ones(again)!

Yours may not fit in the plane. It may have to come by boat. [Wink] Don't loose the pictures!!

You should hear something soon, I hope.

Cheers,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Big Sam:

Well I raised Holy Hell today 4/11. Martinell called Adam Clemens, and my crate was still sitting at the warehouse in Dar.... can you believe that shit. It's supposed to be here in about a week, they said they had Georgie go into Dar's warehouse and they are supposed to ship today.

Also, we had one crate come in that was packed with two of our guys trophies together. It is questionable if the hides are ok, they might be ruined, according to my Taxi, they look black and dried out...

If my Buff doesn't come in soon, or if my hides are ruined, there is going to be ONE DEAD BOOKING AGENT... I would have to shoot some body, and he is closer to me than Adam.

Will keep ya posted.

Pissed in PA....

Jim P

[ 04-12-2003, 16:19: Message edited by: PAHunter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
JIM,

I know what you mean. Mike and Tye's crates arn't here yet either. They are supposed to have been shipped.

When all of our crates are in Atlanta, they will be shipped to our Taxi, which is only an hour away. I can't wait to see what has shown up and in what condition. This the last thing that I am waiting for before I post our hunt.

I will post"The Good, The Bag, and The Ugly(pano)" of it all.

As much as we tipped Steven, you would think that the 'handeling' would be a little better. How soon they forget.

I hope for others sake (and yours), that your shipment works out.

Talk with you soon.

SAM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting too. Adam promised that the crates were on the way and maybe they are but I haven't seen anything yet. I was there right before Big Sam. Stay tuned!!!

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE;
As of today, two of our shipments are still not here yet.

My crate was opened at the tanners. He says that the skins were moist and there was a pink mold on them. He is giong to dry them out and further assess the damage.

The other thing that I found 'interesting', was my shipment for example of two BUFF heads and full hides, Zebra hide, and Wart hog hide, cost me over $1300 dollars. The average for this type shipment, I am told from the importer and Taxi, should have been around $600-700, MAX. All of our shipments so far have been this way. Dicky and Jimmy shipped theirs together. They were charged two individual prices, not one crate. This Pano bastard is something else. All of these fees are his.

More later as it comes in.

SAM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

I talked to Adam Clemens and told him how upset I was that my trophies are STILL in a warehouse in Tanzania. Adam called Pano in Athens Greece, Pano called and left me a message on my answering machine at work.

He said there are (6) crates still over in Tanzania, MINE INCLUDED... Pano said that there is only one airline, British Airways that they can ship out of Tanzania with and that there are 40 outfitters trying to get there trophies on there at the same time, this is hard to believe. He said he will have to wait there turn. Pano also said that he will be in Tanzania on May 11th and bribe who ever he has to, to get my trophies delivered. He said at the latest I would have them by the end of May.

I am besides myself with grief and worry. Not only are all 5 of my trophies there including my Buff, but the cape of one of my buddies Buff is in my crate.

I literally told my booking agent I am going to shoot him, ya know I am not kidding. My last name ends in a vowel, I can always have Veto & Guedo pay him a vist. And Texas is not out of my realm either.

If I don't get my trophies there is going to be hell to pay, that's all I gotta say.

Regards.... Jim P.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
PAHunter,

Take heart. I just got my shipment from Tanzania via British Air last week. These things are definitely done on "Africa Time", but they USUALLY get here eventually.

Good luck,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JIM,

Hi! I got the same story about Pano. I will stand corrected on one thing though. The money isn't supposedly going to him. It is COD on the air line.

The other thing that I learned was that he had a contract with Adam that ALL of the trophies would be out by this past January. Another mark for his 'Word'. As you know, Pano is not a verase person and everything that he says should be taken with a grain of salt. We'll see what we have by the end of May.

Talk with you latter,

SAM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Well, I finally found my trophies. Pano called me today 5/20/03 and left a message. I called him back in Tanzania and he said he was in the warehouse and opened all the crates there, my trophies were NOT in the warehouse In Dar. He said my trophies were shipped in my buddies crate on March 5, 2003. Well my buddy shipped the crate from Floral & Fauna to Kentucky to a Tannery and a Tazxi down there. Never knowing there was two sets of trophies in the crate.

Today after about 20 phone calls, I found the guy who was sending my buddies stuff to the tannery. I told him I had a bill of lading stating everything in the crate, he went and checked and low and behold guess whos 46in Buff was in the crate along with my four other trophies.

The hides look good, and they are going to be tanned next week. When tanned I will have to ship them back up to my Taxi in Gouldsboro PA.

Whew, what a relief, if I lost that Buff I would have quit hunting Africa for good. Now that they are found I will sign up for next year.

Regards..... Jim P.

[ 05-22-2003, 07:38: Message edited by: PAHunter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter, I'm glad your trophies arrived. I was in the Selous before Big Sam in early September and I still don't have mine. I guess I'll have to call Adam Clements again and see if they lost them. I was told they were waiting to be shipped....months ago. I guess I haven't complained enough yet.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pathfinder

You have to call Pano, Adam made the deal with Kiboko Hunting Safaris that he would handle all the dip and pack and shipping. There are 4 cases still in Tanzania in Dar in a warehouse.

I can give you Panos phone number and Cell number in Tanzania if you want. Let me know I will email it to you.

My email is Stallion43@aol.com...

Regards.. Jim P.

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
PAhunter. Great story. And I am glad you got your trophies back in one piece.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Was talking to the guy in VA, Old Dominion Tannery. Marty said my skins should be done next week, then off to my TAXI.

When they are finished I will post pictures of the finished mounts, sort of a before and after.. LOL...

Geez what an ordeal this was...

Regards... Jim P.