New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry Claassens Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone on the board hunted with him in RSA, or know something about his operation?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I went on my very first African safari with Harry Claassens in July 2001.

It was a ten-day hunt in the Gwai River area of Zimbabwe. A total of ten hunters were on the trip---and most were from the firearms industry---so Harry had an experienced and knowledgeable clientele to deal with.

The local landowner provided qualified PH's and trackers for each group of two hunters. Because of the number of hunters, Harry split up his time with the each group and hunted with all of us at one time or another during the safari.

Harry hunted with me for two days and was along on the last morning of the hunt where I finally got my Buffalo---a pretty exciting morning for a first-time African hunter like me.

The accommodations at Camp Selous were first rate. Comfortable rondavels and a beautiful main lodge, bar, outdoor fire pit and swimming pool (though it was a bit too cold that time of year to take advantage of it.)

I found Harry Claassens to be a very knowledgeable and experienced hunter and a delightful person to talk with--either while riding in the safari vehicle or around the campfire.

And.....by the way...I'm leaving in three weeks for another hunt with him---again with a number of firearms industry people---this time in the Dande North area of Zimbabwe.

Posts: 8 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote