New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can any one tell me the best region in Namibia for larger trophies.( Kudu, Gemsbuck,Springbuck )

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Robert,

I pulled up an old post which might be of some help.

Namibia Trophies

I believe Pieter Stofberg of Nimrod Safaris (which is known for it huge gemsbok) hunts gemsbok in the Kalahari region of Nambia (near the Botswana and South African border).

Regards,

Terry

[ 05-05-2003, 07:21: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
A farm which hasn't been over-booked/over hunted. Some of the smaller leased properties tend to get commercially exploited and the trophies get shot off quickly. Go with outfits that own the property that your are hunting on; they have a long term commitment to trophy quality.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry
I am trying to find a honest outfitter ( after my last South africa hunt, honesty is a higher priority ) with a good area .I have read some very good hunt reports on Nimrod Safaris/ Pieter Strofberg in the "Hunting Report". Do you know if he has a web site?

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Robert,

No he doesn't have a website. He used to post here, but I haven't heard from him in a while.

The last email I have for him is

nimsaf@mweb.com.na

Expeditons By Ron used to book for him, I don't know if they still do.

Several people on this board have hunted with him. Go to the African Hunting topic and search for Nimrod.

Regards,

Terry

[ 05-05-2003, 08:19: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I book for Pieter and he does get some pretty massive trophies. He's a good guy and will work hard to get you real trophy heads.

He was one of the attendees for the AR luncheon in Detroit last January.

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Sorry, I didn't know you book for Pieter. Learn something new everday.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do, he asked me aboard this year! He's definitly got some excellent hunting areas. He really gets some outstanding animals.

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have not heard from Pieter since the season started. Have you heard how the year is progressing? If you talk to him ask him to post some of this years pics.
Thanks

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

No, I have not heard from him. I imagine they are in full swing right now though. Next time I do speak to him I will get some recent photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of you ever hear O Christies Adventures?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Talk to Wendell Reich (on this website or www.huntersquest.com )about Gras Hunting Ranch, near Kalkrand, Namibia.

I just got back yesterday. What a hunt! I shot a 34" gemsbok bull(BIG bases) and a 40.25" cow. I shot a 15" Springbok and one that was a 1/16" from 14". The kudu was nice, 47", there were two others that I saw that were bigger, but couldn't get a shot on. I shot a Blue Wildebeest with a 27.75" outside spread. Big blesbok (16.5", I think)and red hartebeest also (don't have the measurments in front of me now).

Janni Spangenberg, the PH and son of the owner, took me to two other ranches for impala and eland. I shot a 25" impala and a 33" eland! He said the impala would probably be 10th or 11th in Namibia.

In all, 10 of my trophies made Namibian Gold Medal and 4 made Roland Ward! Great food, clean beautiful accomadations, great people, great trophies, what else could you want.

Can you tell I had a great time? [Smile]

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

Christies Adventures is one of two outfitters that have made my final list for a leopard hunt in May of 2004. I have not hunted with them, but our corespondence is encouraging.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeInNePa:
Talk to Wendell Reich (on this website or www.huntersquest.com )about Gras Hunting Ranch, near Kalkrand, Namibia.

I just got back yesterday. What a hunt! I shot a 34" gemsbok bull(BIG bases) and a 40.25" cow. I shot a 15" Springbok and one that was a 1/16" from 14". The kudu was nice, 47", there were two others that I saw that were bigger, but couldn't get a shot on. I shot a Blue Wildebeest with a 27.75" outside spread. Big blesbok (16.5", I think)and red hartebeest also (don't have the measurments in front of me now).

Janni Spangenberg, the PH and son of the owner, took me to two other ranches for impala and eland. I shot a 25" impala and a 33" eland! He said the impala would probably be 10th or 11th in Namibia.

In all, 10 of my trophies made Namibian Gold Medal and 4 made Roland Ward! Great food, clean beautiful accomadations, great people, great trophies, what else could you want.

Can you tell I had a great time? [Smile]

I'll tell you what else I could want: you could have taken me with you, and paid for it as well! [Big Grin] Seriously though, welcome back and I'm glad you had a great trip. [Cool]

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Robert,
I hunted with Diethelm Metzger in 1999 and had a great safari. Lots of game, we were the only hunters in camp so we had very personalized service, and excellent trophies. You can find them at www.makadisafaris.com. Good luck in your search. Namibia is a neat country with some fantastic hunting opportunities!

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the website but it is correct, I checked it on Yahoo and using the direct address. For whatever reason it comes up www.wac.com, Who knows? Go to their website though and check it out!

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also had a great hunt at Gras Hunting Ranch in Namibia, in August 2002. I took eight animals including Steenbok, Springbok and Blue Wildebeest, that were all Rowland Ward and the Steenbok is in top ten Namibia. The price was right, too.

[ 05-23-2003, 09:36: Message edited by: Wayne Nish ]

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Griffin>
posted
Wayne, good to hear from you. Wasn't Gras fantastic. I was there just when you left. Got all my trophies in 5 days. had a wonderful time and like you said the price couldn't be beat. Hope the restaurant business is being good to you. catch you later.. Mike Griffin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

How have you been? Planning a return trip yet?

Wayne

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,
you should use this address:

[URL=http://www.makadisafaris.com][/URL]

bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote