ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Elephant hunting with Shawn Buffee in ZA - March 2012

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant hunting with Shawn Buffee in ZA - March 2012
 Login/Join

posted
2012 Hunt Report

Charlie and Jeanne Widdicombe

Rifle used Blaser R8 in 458 lott and R 93 7mm mag

Areas hunted Debshan/ Bubye Valley Conservancy

Outfitter Shaun Buffee Safaris

Ph Shaun Buffee
Tracker Becki Ndlovu

Background:

This would be our third hunt with Shaun Buffee in as many years and my fifth African Safari. Having successfully hunted leopard, hippo, buffalo and most Plains game trophies with Shaun in previous safaris, we asked him to look at different options on a trophy elephant hunt for us. After countless emails going back and forth discussing all the pros and cons of every option available to us, W decided on an elephant option he had available in southern Zimbabwe (Debshan).

The Hunt:

We arrived in Bulawayo on the South African Airways noon flight. All our luggage guns etc arrived and Shaun was there to help us through customs. We were on the road March 16th , which is still in the height of the rainy season. Arriving in Camp that afternoon, we got settled in and then went out to sight the rifles. We had not made it a mile before the heavens opened, however we carried on. In between the showers, managed to get a few shots off with both rifles, all good.

That evening we settled in very excited about what lay ahead. Our aim was to look for a bull elephant in the 50lbs range. I have hunted my whole life growing up in Montana so understand how fair chase hunting works, we had 160,000 acres to hunt with elephant moving in and out all the time. As Shaun explained, this is a safe haven for bulls that come out of the National Park for whatever reason, whether it be crop raiding or pressure in the National Park. We would have to hunt hard and the reality was, the more Bulls we looked at, the better our chances at big ivory. Ultimately, to track up and be in amongst elephant every day was the reason Jeanne and I were here.

Day 1

By 7am, we had looked at six separate elephant bull tracks, all young bulls not worth tracking. Having had rain most of the night, all the roads were clean and any tracks would be fresh. About 9am, we cut tracks of 12 bulls, two with huge tracks. After about an hour of tracking, they headed into some of the thickest brush I have seen. Suddenly, Becki froze. The wind was all over the place. Shaun turned and said lets go with the prevailing wind and get in to have a look before the wind swirls. I nodded, checked the power on my scope and in we went. All of a sudden, we were in amongst a herd of elephant bulls and all we could see were pieces of elephant. We slowly started looking over the bulls one by one. At one stage, we had elephant on either side of us. The closest bull could not have been more than 10 yards away and still I could only see the odd bit of grey. We moved forward a few meters to where we could hear another elephant. Then suddenly, there was one fast asleep on his side, snoring! It looked like he had a very nice tusk, it was long but not thick enough, we figured about 40lbs. It was the morning of day one, so opted to leave him sleeping. Having looked at most of the elephants in that group, we pulled out and had a lovely cup of coffee, a sandwich and carried on.

One of the advantages was the area has an excellent road network. By checking the blocks, we could pin point which block our elephant had held up in, which reduced the time it took us to find each elephant and allowed us to track and look at multiple groups of bulls every day.

The days flew by, having fun every day. We tracked and looked at possible elephants every day; I mean big tracks with all the signs of an old elephant. Over the next 14 days, we tracked and looked at a total of 96 elephant bulls, turning down a few in the 35 – 40 pound range.

The amazing thing is, we never felt pressured into shooting, the fact that we had so many elephant there, it was bound to happen.

Our Bull:

There was a particular elephant, which we called Houdini, with a huge track that we had been trying to get on for about a week, his track was so distinctive there was no mistaking him. On two occasions, we cut his fresh track. The first time, he joined a group of 20 bulls and when we finally caught up with them at last light, he had somehow slipped away. The second time, he winded us in thick brush and all we heard was him disappearing through the brush. After that, he vanished we could not find him and figured he had left the area. On the second last morning, driving down the main road, Becki suddenly got very excited. It was two fresh elephant bull tracks and one of them was Houdini! After about an hour of tracking, there they were standing across an opening about 60 yards away. We had discussed the shot and the plan was to get close for a frontal brain shot. At about 30 yards, the wind suddenly swirled and the smaller bull turned to leave. Our Bull took a few steps quartering away, with his head behind a tree, Shaun turned to me and I knew it was now or never. I brought the Blaser up and centered it behind the shoulder. I heard the smaller bull take off just as I pulled the trigger. At the shot my bull hunch up and took off. I gave him a going away shot and suddenly he was gone, swallowed up by the thick brush. Then came a pat on my back with Shaun saying,"good shot he is down." The rest of the team had heard him fall about 40 yards away. We went straight up and I gave him one insurance shot behind the head and he was mine.

My entire elephant hunt is one of the highlights of my hunting career. Not that it was the focus of the hunt, but his tusks weighed in at 58/52 pounds. He had about ten hairs on his tail, the perfect animal to take.

The second half of the Safari:

After the Elephant hunt, we moved to the Bubye Valley Conservancy for a few days of plains game hunting, relaxing and exploring. This was my first trip to the BVC. Shaun is very excited over securing some of the limited hunting quota with in the BVC.

In all my years of hunting I have never seen a concentration of wildlife that matches what we saw in the BVC. The camps were excellent and all the staff were highly professional. In five days of hunting, we had 10 separate lion sightings. The only member of the big five we did not see was a rhino, although we did see fresh sign.

While in the BVC, we hunted Wildebeest, Giraffe, Zebra, Jackal, and porcupine. Jeanne, my wife, took a 31inch Wildebeest, to date the second biggest Shaun has guided with a client.

We had an awesome finish to another wonderful safari. We have planned a lion hunt with Shaun next season and simply cannot wait to get back.

Charles and Jeanne Widdicombe
Billings, Montana

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Charles. Doesn't sound like it could be any better!

If your having trouble posting photos, e-mail them to me and I'd be happy to post them for you. My e-mail is in my profile.

Welcome to AR. Not a bad first post!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the Bull,and welcome to A.R.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sounds awesome.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Welcome Charles, great report. All we need now are some pictures.

Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Great report. Cannot wait to see the pics all of the species.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Well done, Shaun is a good guy and excellent hunter.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Charles outstanding staying cool under pressure and making the shot.
What a great first post.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Love the report, great hunt. Can not wait to see the pics. Walking up to the Elephant once he is on the ground is truly a very special feeling. Congrats

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Shaun asked if would post a couple of pictures. Enjoy!!!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Wow, very nice bull!

From one Montanan to another: Congrats!

I might have to bend your ear the next time I'm in Billings, love hearing about others' Africa trips.

I'm headed to Zim in June/early July, can't wait!

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I absolutely LOVE that Giraffe photo!!

Beautiful Elephant as well....congratulations.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bulls!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn nice bull! Shaun is a good one for sure!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ivory, older bull, good shooting, elephant and plainsgame on one hunt......all around well done Charles, Jeanne and Shaun!!!

Thanks for the report and pictures guys. tu2

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Bull.... Congrats!!
Shaun has paid his dues in the African hunting arena, and his hard work will benefit all those who hunt with him.
Congrats again on a great hunt!

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic safari and great shooting by all.
An exceptional bull thick ivory, love it Mike.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

Great hunt report and nice bull. I'll be on the Bubye this August for a look around and can't wait.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nice elephant

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Welcome Charles and Jeanne!

Great report and congratulations on a fine safari.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR, Charlie and Jeanne!!!

Great post and nice trophies...Jeanne's wildebeest is a beast!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Zimbabwe is a great place to hunt, I'm sure you will think so as well. Chuck
quote:
Originally posted by FishN4Eyes:
Wow, very nice bull!

From one Montanan to another: Congrats!

I might have to bend your ear the next time I'm in Billings, love hearing about others' Africa trips.

I'm headed to Zim in June/early July, can't wait!

Chris

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Very Nice...congrats!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine bull!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie,
Well it truly sounds like you had an awesome hunt. I just wanted to let you know we have begun processing your trophies here at T.C.I and before you know it we will send you some pictures of the finished work. I look forward to mounting the pedestal wildbeest and porcupine more than anything...
anyway, will keep in touch.
Best cuan

Posts: 31 | Location: zimbabwe | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine bull. Congrats to You and Shaun.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine old bull CONGRATS !!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, well done!
How do you find the R8?
Regards
Stu