ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Hwange (Deka) Elephant Hunt - March 2007
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hwange (Deka) Elephant Hunt - March 2007
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Tim Burkhart: Does Buzz have any feelings about double vs. bolt? Do you think I would be okay with the .416 Rem. Mag.?
Dr Tim, you may want to post the general questions on the African Hunting or Big Bores forums to get some group input to really confuse you Big Grin, but I can tell you that Buzz does not have a preference reg doubles vs bolt for a client-rifle...just that the client be proficient with it (as perhaps might not be the case with a brand new either one). Many of Buzz's clients do use a double, as an ele hunt is the perfect excuse for a double, and vice-verse! At times during the hunt I was thinking it would be better if I had two quick shots, then other times in the herds it felt good to have 4 ready to go…pick your poison.

My son carried Buzz's loaner .375 H&H Blaser, and I struggled with the action and the safety was difficult to work, but then again I had never handled one before. Sure was light to carry. Your .416 Rem w/.400gr solids would be fine for bull or cow (NorthFork or GS Custom flat point solids even better), and with a removable scope you could also hunt other game w/a single gun. Unless of course you needed an excuse for the .500….then by all means go for it noting IMO this would give you a bit more margin for error if the brain shot is close but less then perfect. Just put a few hundred rounds through it off the sticks and shoulder, practice fast-loading, etc before the hunt. Regards, Bill

EDIT 9/14/14 - ADDITIONAL PICTURES ADDED

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C.
Apparently, Buzz got delivery on his leather Aussie hat that he treasures. Lost one in the Zambezi last August. Also, surprised that Buzz was still carrying his Ruger 416, thought he had bought a double.

Great reporting, the pictures and detail were just great, almost felt I was there. Not sure I could handle the heat as well as you did. Great prep on your part, even in the middle of winter.

What is the theme of Buzz's newly planned video??

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill- I really enjoyed you post on you hunt with Buzz! I, too am interested in a Deka Tail hunt in the not-to-distant-future once the college financial drain subsides!I think of all the posts I've read, and the phone visit with you before my Chewore hunt--you are undoubtedly the BEST at giving good info and insight into these hunts.Enjoyed meeting you at the bar in Dallas. Regards-John Clader

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul, I handled Buzz's 450 double, neat gun with a lot of history, but unfortunately he didn't have any ammo for it. He likely also has a Merkel .470 by now if everything went through, for which he does have lots of ammo for, so I'd expect him to start using it soon if not already. I believe the new DVD is focused on croc, hippo and PAC/NT ele, and he says he has tons of footage and kill shots from last year. Should be good.

Hey John, how are things in sunny Texas! Buzz said you and Myles had good success in CS, and congrat's again on your big ele bull, that is some beautiful ivory. And the tiger fish...which you have now become famous for!!!

Cheers, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Bill

An absolutely first class report, thank you so much. You have told it as it is and you do our country a great service. Buzz Charlton facilitates truly memorable experiences, does he not? The pictures are brilliant.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Bill, just wanted to say once again.....you take some fantastic photo's and your reports are always a pleasure to read!! Another great hunting report!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote