ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Zimbabwe 2010 - 2 Charges, Elephant, Croc & LOTS of Pictures
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe 2010 - 2 Charges, Elephant, Croc & LOTS of Pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Impressive report as always!! Smiler
Thanks a lot for sharing! Looks like a wonderful hunt!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I finally set aside the time to read the report and give it the time it deserved.

Congratulations on a truly memorable hunt. I always enjoy your reports and those of other hunters who put the hunt and the adventure first, even at the potential cost of trophies.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny_Revolver
posted Hide Post
As we`ve come to expect, just the best ever report.

With a busy life involved with other things and rifles gather dust in the safe, you read one of Bill C`s reports and you just want to sell everything and just go.

You`re a legend, Bill.

Posts: 131 | Location: South east Queensland Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING report Bill. Well done sir.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you just hate Bill??

He makes my reports look like something Walter wrote vs. Ruark or Selous...

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentleman, I appreciate the feedback and it is great to know that there are others who share the same passions (and addiction to Africa) as me!

Here's something else that I found interesting. In this previous thread…

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2761054331

…the question was asked to the effect of what the “grove” was in the tusk of the elephant. When in camp, I asked Roy’s father, Richard, the same question. He said that this was from many years of living in the jess bush, and that it was the elephants working tusk, and that over time the vines wore the grove. Given his years of experience including in Parks, it sounded plausible, but I was still somewhat skeptical that the bush could do this.

I just went back thru the pictures of the elephant that I saw on my trip last year to see if any of those had similar markings. Sure enough, the elephant that I referred to as the “Jungle Elephant” has the same sort of grove. We had followed this elephant for several hours thru the Tiger Bay jesse until we got on him in a clearing, and with his smaller body he too was perfectly suited to the thick bush.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer. In Kenya the grooves are normally on the top side. I have always been told they are associated with rubbing wire but it sounds like that's not always the case.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A grooved Tusk that I was told was from striping Mopani bark.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Oz,
Is that a W.W.Greener with a side safety?
Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
Oz,
Is that a W.W.Greener with a side safety?
Milo.

I wish.. Wink
No, just a Merkel

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Bill, as always, great report and stellar pics. Big congrats to you and your son. As a die-hard waterfowler, I'm looking at it like this:

you just shot one with a BAND, you lucky devil! wave

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and wonderfull pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us!

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Bill, as always, great report and stellar pics. Big congrats to you and your son. As a die-hard waterfowler, I'm looking at it like this:

you just shot one with a BAND, you lucky devil! wave

Now that is funny I don't care who you are
jumping

Bill what an outstanding report. You make me embarrased to write a report.

I don't know what you do for a living right now but you should be writting a book someday.

Hunting with you son, could it get any better?

Hats off to you.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Bill:

One of the distinct pleasures of participating in AR is having the opportunity to read the hunt reports from members. With this report, you have set a new standard.

Honest, well written, and beautifully illustrated with photographs that complimented the text, this is what a hunt report should look like!

Well done, Bill, and thanks for taking the time and effort.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

Picture of CHIDUMBU
posted Hide Post
STATEMENT FROM

SAFARI OPERATORS ASSOCIATION OF ZIMBABWE.

COLLARING OF ANIMALS IN THE WILD

ADJACENT TO DESIGNATED HUNTING AREAS.

In an effort to avoid future incidents of the shooting of a wild animal that has been collared for scientific purposes, in areas which are adjacent to designated hunting areas, the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe recommend the following action:

Those responsible for collaring the animals should advise the hunting operators who are active in their vicinity and should also advise the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe.

Information should be supplied of the scientific organisation collaring the animal, together with their contact details, and a short explanation of the purpose of the project.

Professional Hunters are expected to make every effort to avoid shooting a collared animal. It is recognised that shooting of collared animals is not illegal, but it is considered unethical and unacceptable.

If an animal is shot in error the collar should be removed and submitted immediately to the nearest National Parks Office. A report on the circumstances surrounding the shooting should be made to National Parks, with a copy to the Association for their records.

…………………………………….

Chairman,

Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Yes, Perfect! tu2

Thanks to SOAZ for their efforts and support. And to Anthony Crick, Chairman ZPHGA.

And just to clarify, the primary reason THIS particular elephant was collared was NOT for "scientific purposes", as evidenced by the Wild Horizons Wildlife Trust 2009 Annual Report which clearly states:
quote:
During a visit by one of our Trustees to Musango Safari Camp on Lake Kariba, a magnificent bull elephant was viewed, and we felt the elephant was in danger due to his proximity to a hunting area...we darted and collared the Masango bull. He is currently staying within a small protected area close to where he was collared.

...and in a blog report by Wild Horizons Trust:
quote:
The Wild Horizons Trust was asked to assist in helping save the Masango Bull which was spotted in the Kariba area...the elephant was darted, collared and hopefully is now safe from hunting

And at no point has there been any scientific data put forth. I believe the research organizations involved would be shocked (and embarrassed) to learn of the full story, including that of the people involved. In fact, the very darting of the elephant may have actually been conducted in violation of Parks laws, unless signed for by the Minister.

But one would expect this situation to be the exception to the rule, and the general SOAZ statement above is a solid guideline for moving fwd. If National Parks and/or other recognized authority wishes to collar particular animals to save/preserve them for "tourism" or breeding genetics or whatever, or just to keep everybody happy, fine, they just need to communicate and work with the hunting community...everybody needs to play nice.

And thanks again guys for the great replies and the many PM's and emails - much appreciated!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have gotten behind on this forum...
Wow, Bill. Great hunt, and fantastic report. You are still the KING! Smiler I enjoyed every minute of that, and like all your others, have saved it for posterity.
Thanks!
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote