one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Outfitter: Ridge and Cash Taylor Safaris
www.trophyhunts.com

PH: Ridge Taylor

Area: Masailand

Date: August 2002

I booked my first African safari with Ridge, a 7 day Buffalo and plains game hunt. My wife went along as an observer. I can say without hesitation, that this was a quality hunt with very a knowledgeable PH and outstanding trackers. Ridge has two camps. We hunted out of Lobo, a first rate permanent tent camp with flush toilets, hot showers and generated electricity. The staff was very attentaive and displayed a sincere desire to do everything possible to make your stay more than comfortable. We were the only ones in camp and had a staff of approximately 15 people. My favorite meals were medalions of Grant's Gazelle, Buffalo tongue sandwiches and Ox (Buffalo)tail soup.

If you want a Cape Buffalo, this is the place. Not only were there lots of buffalo, there were lots of big buffalo. We were in the middle of buffalo everday, close up and personal. I shot the smallest bull of any hunter this season as I waited till the last day. His other hunters all shot bulls from 42" - 46". I saw plenty of 40+" bulls. I also shot a Zebra, a 24" Grant's Gazelle and a 24" East African Impalla. Lion & Leopard sign was plentiful, and we saw several Dik-Dik, Greater and Lesser Kudo, Fringed Ear Oryx and lots of critters whose names I can't remember. The Lokisali camp was covered up in lion and elephant.

I'd highly suggest you book the longest hunt you can afford, as there is so much to see and do. The bird hunting alone would be worth the price of admission.

Masai villages are close by, and if you choose to, you can interact with the Masai and learn their culture.

Ridge is an intense hunter and offers an outstanding safari.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
SBT-
Thanks for your post. I'm glad to hear about your trip. How about some photos when you can get around to posting them.

I've already booked the longest hunt I CAN'T afford - but that won't stop me. I'll be with Ridge a year from now for my first hunt with him.

When you have time, email me off line and give some additional details. I'd also be interested in having a short conversation with you, so include a phone number if you will.

Thanks, I look forward to conversing with you again.

Forrest

forrest@bruch.com

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
The "Northwest Hunter" program on "The Outdoor Channel" showed their first of what I hope to be at least 3 shows on African hunting recently and they were with Ridge and Cash Taylor Safari's. They took a Hartebeast and an Impala but the show description said Lion and Buffalo Hunting.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the buffalo show today ....10/24/02....and it wasn't much. Absolutely wanted shout at the guy hunting. It was almost as bad as some of the deer hunting shows. Did take 2 buff over 40". I turned in on about 10 minutes into the show and didn't see the first shot but they spent most of the rest of the show chasing it and eventually shot another bull you couldn't see and found the first one after dark. Poorly done.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Ridge and Cash are mentioned in an article titled "Tanzania Safari" in the November/December 2002 issue of SCI's Safari Magazine.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw another part of the show where the host takes a Grant's and one of the Swwarovski's takes a nice leopard using a Blaser. The shot on the leopard had to be a recreation...when Ridge motioned for him to shoot he pushed off the safety which made a very loud "click" and the leopard never bobbled. I also thought the "spontaneous celebration" for Swarovski when he came back to camp with the leopard was overdone and the voice-over from the host "suggested" the camp staff hated leopard as they were occasional man-eaters. [Roll Eyes]

The host of the show, who took the Grant's, looks and acts like a real doofus.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
DB Bill - I watched the same two episodes. I guess for the uninformed this makes for great TV, however, I was less than impressed. Everything was contrived and overdone. If the camp staff came out celebrating as I drove into camp for the first time, I would have demanded the Landcruser take me back to the airport. I am not there to hunt in DisneyLand.

I have heard nothing but great things about Ridge and Cash. Their hunting areas are most productive. Unfortunately, this was a poorly produced show(s) and I image everything was staged for the camera. Shame, but as they say even bad publicity is good.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SBT:
[QB]Outfitter: Ridge and Cash Taylor Safaris

[URL=http://www.trophyhunts.com]

I would be most grateful if you could post a website or any other contact details. I would like to know about daily rates, trophy fees (Buffalo)and about the areas hunted.
DJ.

Posts: 214 | Location: UK. | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
DJ,

Ridge is still in Tanzania right now and I believe Cash is hunting moose in Idaho. But, you can go to his web site at: www.trophyhunts.com
or call his wife Lisa for brochures and prices at: (307) 733-9041

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I watched the episode last night where Cash and Swarovski were hunting buff. I noticed that after Swarovski's first shot and they were running after the buff to shoot him again that one of the trackers at least twice stopped to pick up something that Swarovski had dropped while running.

Do you think he had a push feed and the tracker was picking up the cartridges that were falling out while Swarovski was trying to reload? I couldn't tell what kind of rifle it was although I'd bet the scope was a Swarovski.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote