New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brooklands Safaris Hunt in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks to everyone for yhour patience. My Spider bites are doing fine.
If possible any questions about my hunt, please start a seperate thread so this does not get too long, thus each question will have a life of its own keeping this thread from getting to long.
First a short review.
My hunt was to take place in 3 seperate areas.
First elephant bull 2 on quota, pluss 4 crop mraiders, in the Deka on the boundayr with Hwange Natioinal Park. Then to the OMAY for 6 mcow elephants, crock, hippo and buff bull if we saw nice ones. Then to Brooklands area in the SAVE Valley for plains game, leopard and 2 buffalo.
Company: Brooklands Safaris. this is my first time to hunt with Brooklands. I cannot say enough nice things about the company and its owner Barry Deacon. First class in every respect, camps food etc.
PH: Dale Des Fountain [Donza]. This was my first safari with Donza, but i had the advantage of having him as my gueat on my deer lease in 2005 and 2006 where we shot several thousand rounds of pistol and rifle rounds. We had camped together, broken bread and drank a little whisky, so when I landed in Zim we were already friends and known entities.
Vidoegrapher ian Lewis. Ian had videoed my forst Safari in 2004. He is a great guy and a great Videographer. He too had atteneded both shooting sessions at my deer lease. I will not hunt Africa without him doing the video.
He is a real pro and a great friend.
Also aborad was "Quinn". He is a registered PH who was on my Safari to learn how to do a video from Ian. I met him in Dallas at the Safari Show. Ian asked me if he could "come along" and as he was a great guy I agreed. He was with us for about half of the Safari.

Donza and I had the "talk" that each client/PH should have.
"My" instructions to Donza were as followsBig Grinonza, If you see an animal you think I need to shoot, it is not necessary to discuss trophy quality, how many are in this area etc. Simply say "shoot that one", and I will.
If at ANY time I fire a shot, and hit an animal, and you have ANY doubt about my shot, if you THINK in the slightest you need to back me up, whether it is an impala or a charging DG, if you feel you neeed to shoot SHOOT.
if we find my shot was perfect and you did not need to shoot, I will not be upset. MY THEORY IS, IT IS MUCH BETTER TO PUT THE ANIMAL DOWN QUICKLY AND NOT HAVE A LONG OR UN SUCCESSFUL FOLLOW UP.
After the P in PH stands for PROFESSIONAL.
I told Donza to do what he feels he needs to do.
However in a charge situation I did ask him to say "SHOOT" to me before he shot so at least I would have the first shot. Big Grin
Again I said if I do not shoot fast enough and you think our safety is in danger go ahead and shoot.
When I was "on the job" I did not want a Sgt. ,Lt., Capt., Chief, or IAD telling me how to do my job, so I do not believe in handicaping a PH.
I am happy to report that Donza did not have to fire a shot at any animals on my Safari.

However when hunting in the Deka we are so close to the Park boundary that he advised me that 99.9% of the time he always follows up the clients brain shot with a brain sjot of his own. Body shots are NOT AN OPTION when hunting here. All shots even follow up need to be brain shots as a heart lung elephant may still make it into the Park. I knew and under stood that going in. However Donza did not fire his rifle I am proud to say. However I get ahead of myself.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The plan was to hunt in the DEKA tail for elephant bull, I had 2 on quots, then go to the OMAY for crock, hippo, 6 cow elephants, and one or two buff if we saw some nice ones. then go to the SDAVE for plains game, 2 BIG buff, and leopard.
Weather and politics played into my results as to total game bag, but did not effect my enjoyment of the hunt.
I cannot say enough nice things about Brooklands as a company or mabout Donza as a PH.
I had a great hunt and a great trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew into Vic Falls. We ate lunch at the Lodge there then tured the falls. We stayed the first night at a Brooklands lodge near the Falls, then drove to the Deka.
I had booked my hunt durring this time frame because of the possibility of shooting several crop raiding bulls. However because of the rains the vegetation was extremely thick. Not only were the crop raiders not leaving the Park after 6 days of hunting we had only seen one elephant, a 45 pounder with only one tusk.
It was raining almost every day, night.
Donza talked to another Brooklands PH Rex Hoots who was in the OMAY and they were having bad rains also, in fact 3 bridges were washed out. SO Donza decided we should go to the Save next, give the Omay time to dry out then return to Deka if possible for elephant bull.
So we load up and go to the Save.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with your way of thinking towards the PH and his job. Nothing better for a PH than having a client trusting him and allowing him to do his work.

Congrats for the hunt and...pictures please !!!!! Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen so much game in my life as i saw in the Brooklands are ain the Save.
The Save Valley has almost 1 million acres with out any fences. Brooklands area is almost 1000,000 acres.
First animal shot was a Zebra with the 9,3x74R Chapuis, 286 grain woodleigh soft. Distance 152 yards lazered after the shot.
Zebra was qyarting toward me, bullet hitn point of left shoulder. Zebra wehtr down on belly rolled on to opposite shoulder, completly over. Never moved after that bullet recovered, expanded perfectly.

Second animal Giraffe.
Spotted far off, stalked in as cloase as Donza thought we could get. Rifle 450 No2.
From @ 175 to 180 yards, the Giraffe was broadside, I fired a 450 gr. North Fork Cup point from the right bbl. At the shot he turned and I fired a raking shot with the left bbl a 450 gr NF flat point solid. The giraffe began to run, and so did we....
After about a 150 yard run again the giraffe was standing broad side so I gave him a right and a left [NFFP's], he then raqn again. NOW I am getting nervous, No animal has taken this many shots from my 450 No2 and not been DOWN.
The Giragge runs, I run, being careful not to step on my tongue....
Again the is standing broad side at about 70 yards or so, I fire the right bbl into his chest, he steps foward and the only shot I have is at his pelvis area, I fire the left bbl into his spine. On the video you can see the shot inpact, se him slap the entry withy his tail, and see that this shot has the greatest effect, as he cannot take another step, at least for a few seconds. I reload run up, and from fairly close I fire a right and a left into his chest.
On the video you can see me looking down reloading as he nearly falls on me.
A quick finisher does the job
He is a magnificint trophy, with beautiful skin.
I now have tremendous respect for the Giraffe as a sport hunted animal. Later we eat his meat, it is the second best meat I have ever eaten. WAY better than eland.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The next animal shot is an impala for the trackers dinner. I shoot him trotting offhand at 70 yards with the Chapuis.

Next animal shot is an eland bull.
When we moved to the Save Brooklands allocated me 4 cow elephants there. So we are following elephant tracks when some Zebra stumble upon us in very thick jess. I reload my 450 No2 with 480 Woodleigh soft points. We stalk them only to sneak up on some eland. At about 60 yards in heavu jess I fire a shot at a big eland that is deflected by the brush. He reverses direction but only goes about 5 or 8 feet to our left. I reload,move accordingly and this time i hold just into the brush hoping for a spine shot and fire. The eland goes down, I race foward, reloading and place a 500 Swift A frame down through the top of the back, anchoring the animal.
Both bullets recovered both gave excellent expansion excellent penetration.
Both were against the skin opposite of entry and were cut out before gutting/skining.
Donza is an excellent judge of trophy quality. This was a great eland bull, left and right horn 34" and really big around at the base.
Elend liver was the 3rd best meal i had on this trip. Very good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Durring this time we were continuning to hunt elephant cows and buff bulls.
We had still not seen a buff bull, but we had had several encounters with elephants.
We4 had had a few false charges from young bulls and from as cow or two. There was a heard of over 60 elephants that gave us fits.
We had a couple of small say 6 1/2 foot leopards hitting our baits but Donza did not want to hjunt them. he told me it would be easy to kill one but he dod not want me to shoot one under 7 foot.
So we decided to move to the OMAY for cow elephant, crock, hippo, buffalo, and hopefully have enough time to go back to the Deka for elephant bull.
We are both realizing that I will not be able to fill all the animals I have on "Quota". It is continuing to rain nearly every day. It is decided that I MUST come back in October.
Anything I do not get on this trip will be held for me in Oct 2006.
We head for the OMAY.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As per our plan we drive to Harare. We have dinner at the Fishmonger Resturant, owned by Barry Deacon, owner of Brooklands. It is the FINEST resturant meal I have EVER had. Bar none.
I get to meet Ians new wife, and donza's girl friend. I stay at donzas house, meet his dad and have a great time. Ian and I drive by President Robert Mugambe's house and I getr a good tour of the city.
Next day we leave for the Omay.
We run into Rex Hoots another Brooklands PH about 20K from the camp, he is on his way back to Harare. WE "talk" him into returning with us back to the OMay camp for dinner, talk and cocktails. We also talk him into picking up our game scout.
When he gets to camp we find out that the Tribal Council and Natioinal Parks are having a fued and they will not issue us a game scout.
Calls are made to Harare, the company ofers to fly the parks official to Omay but it is not happening. It is 4 pm on a Friday.
NOTHING gets done on a weekend in Zim. Donza does not want to wait around loosing hunting days, even though we could fish on Lake Kariba.
He taslks to the Deka camp, there has been some increased elephant activity so we decide to go to Deka until Councle and Parks gets their business straight.
Donza says the Company will charter me back to Deka [free], and that he will meet me there. I say not necessary i want to see the country and I am in for a penny in for a pound.
Let me add that from camp I am seeing crock on the shore, hippo in the water, and elephants in the flats from my room.
However knowing I am going back to the bull elephant hunting area has got me pumped up, as bull elephants are my HOLY GRAIL.
Next morning we head for DEKA

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Well told and makes one look forward to more of your stories or your hunt.... Cool

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First mornning back at Deka I am pumped.
Hunting elephants is where it is at for me. The first 6 days here i stuck my hand into enough warm elephant dung that I can as I type this still smell it. Big Grin We had several fresh tracks it is that they just beat us back into the Park.

We find tracks, fresh heading away from the park. We follow. Hunting elephant, following tracks is a lot of fun for me, I love it.
We get lucky, the bull continues to go away from the Park.
We hear Him.
We continue foward. I have my 450 No2. In the right bbl is a North Fork 450 grain Flat Point. Just in case it bounces off the hide [private joke between me and Mike Brady Big Grin], in the left bbl is a 480 Woodleigh Solid.

We see the bull elephant. The right tusk looks good. We continue forward. We are about 15 yards away, we stop so Donza can see if it has 2 tusks. WE wait. Finally dfonza sees the second tusk, it matches the first. He estimates them at just over 40 lbs, and tells me so. I ask him if we should pass or shoot. I think the Ivory looks "nice" he agrees, so we close in.
As we get close I have a good side brain shot, however we continue foward. The elephant senses us, suddenly he spins and comes toward us, head held high, the brush is very thick, when he is less than 6 yards away I raise my 450 No2 and fire the right bbl, frontal brain.
At the shot the bull shows the classic brain hit.
I step to my right as if I take 2 steps i can go arlound the brush see the elephant proper and fire the insurance shots. In the video hyou can see Donza grab me by the left shoulder, and say, He is dead. I reload, no other shots are fired. Perfect frontal brain.

At this instant, the Safari is perfect. Bull elephant down, frontal brain at less than 6 yards, nice Ivory.
Life is good.

We hunt bull elephant 2 more days, but the rains have returned, so we go back to the SAVE, as buffalo cow elephant, and leopard are still looking for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
These 2 animals are out of sequence, for a reason. They were shot in the Save before we left for the OMAY. First is a zebra.
From a little over 100 yards he was facing us head on. Right before I shot he turned away.
This was seen on thr video. The bullet a 286 grain woodleigh soft entered in the ribs just barely in front of mid body. The entrance was about a 3 inch gash. It damaged the liver, he only ran about 150 yards, and was down.
Again the power of the 9,3 impressed both the Ph and me.

One morning Donza says, "You need to shoot another giraffe".
I say "I would like to do it with my 9,3x74R Chapuis, but I might not have enough ammo as I only brought 20 solids."
He says "lets give it a go".

So a couple of hours later we are sneaking up on a giraffe. He is facing me so from about 80 to 100 yards I fire my first shot a 286 grain woodleigh soloid into his chest. At the shot he turns and I do not have a clear shot for the second bbl.
The giraffe runs.... I run....
After a short run the giraffe is standing broadside, as I raise the 9,3 to shoot he turns and begans to run away, I take a raking shot that enters mid body and ranges foward into the left shoulder. the giraffe runs around some thick brush AND FALLS DOWN. TWO shots from the 9,3x74R have put down a large bull giraffe. I run up and put in a finisher. Not that it was necessary, but I just could not imagine only 2 shots from the 9,3 doing the deed, but it did. Eeker

So when we returned to the Save for the second time I decide to give the 9,3 the ultimate test.
I WILL use it for cow elephant AND buffalo.I have been an advocate for the 9,3 so I will put my money and my LIFE on the line to test the 9,3 on the biggest and most dangerous game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also durring my first trip to the Save we were hunting buff. We had been on tracks for several hours when it was getting dark. I was carrying my 450 No2.
Donza spotted as large wildebeast.
We did a short sneak as he was walking toward us. At about 40 yards ast last light I fired a 480 woodleigh soft. It hit a little foward but knocked him down flipping him.
He fell in a gully out of sight, as I reloaded he recovered and ran off, I felt my forst shjot was good so I diod not fire a second shot as it would in all honesty have been a "Hail Mary" shot. He ran about 70 yards or so and was dead when we found him.
Horns measured 28" wide with 14" bosses.

BUT most improtant, wildebeast meat is the beat meat I have ever eaten. WAY better than eland.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After a few drama sessions with the 60 animal herd of elephants in the Save we decide not to persue them again.

We find tracks of a smaller heard and follow them.
After a whhile we come upon a couple of small bulls. We skirt around them hoping to find the cows.
Note: WE do not have time to go back to the OMAY. Another German hunter that was to hunt the OMAY after I left, cannot do so because the Council Parks issue has not been resolved.
He loves to hunt cow elephants and this was to be his 3rd or 4th hunt in the Brooklands Omay area. I have "willed" him 2 of my cow elephants in the Save, and he is in camp with me.
I know I am comming back so I am more thatn happy to share the wealth with a fellow elephant hunter.

So we are skirting around some young bulls and find some cows.
We sneak around getting the wind right and close in.

Let me say now that we have had a couple of "false" charges by cow elephants that stopped at around 12 to 15 yards. In Donza's book, that is too far to shoot a cow elephant.
If they ain't closer than 10 yards, then whats the point. I agree, its not about just killing them, but doing it close.

So we find 2 cows walking in front of us. We run twoard them trying to get in front of them.
The cow we want to shoot, nice Ivory, seemsx oblivious to us, Donza tries to get her attentioin but she is ignoring us. From about 5 yards Donza says "brain her".
So I raise the 9,3x74R Chapuis and plasce a 286 gran Woodleigh Solid into her, side braqin. The woodleigh goes completely through her head.
She goes down in the classic brain shot manner. I am reloaded before she hits the ground as the other cow is less than 10 yards from us.
She is probably the Matriarch, and I do not want to shoot her, luckly she turns and walks away.

Again the 9,3 has impressed us all. It now has the title "the Little Hammer of Thor"
The elephant was shot with iron sights, all other game was shot with the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So far Donza, Ian, and I have been very impressed with the performance of the 9,3x74R.
It Will be my buffalo gun fro the remainder of the trip.
Since I know I am comming back in Oct, for several cow elephants, we decide to concentrate on a buffalo.

We follow only Daga Boy tracks. One morning we find fresh tracks. WE follow. We see 2 buff laying down. From 74 yards we start crawling.
Ay 38 yards we stop and glass them. Donza says, "He is a 42 incher at least".
I push off the safety of my double.
Donza looks at them again and says, they are kind of young, a "little" soft. Lets pass.
I say "43 inches"?
He says "Too soft for you, lets crawl out".
Out we crawl.

Donza says, It is breeding time the big boys must have forced those youngsters out of the herd. We need to check the heard for the big ones.
SO we go looking for the herd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We find the herd in about 2 hours.
WE play cat and mouse with them. Finally we sort to bum rush them. When we do I [we} see a HUGE bodied buff. He looks like a semi truck in a parking lot full of volkswagon beetles.
He is a MONSTER ,and has hornd to match.
They run, we give chase. I have "almost" 3 chanches to shoot. Finally they elude us.
I mhave stepped on my tongue so many times i can run no farther.
I vow to hobble my 6 foot 7" PH.
I tell him next time I BOOK A HUNT IT WILL BE WITH A DWARF, MIDGET, OR A ONE LEGGED PH.
We all laugh, but Donza is extremely serious.
He says, "That is the Buffalo you will shoot. We will find him after lunch. We will press the herd. At last light we will see him, you will have less than a heartbeat to shoot.

We go back to camp, have a gin and tonic or two, a great lunch, and take a nap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Durring my nap I dream of a 43 inch buffalo, in the Salt shot at 38 yards. With a tongue without boot prints on it.....
How easy if would have been, just stand up and shoot. I had 2 on quota, a right and a left.
2 Buff in the salt,43 inchers, without breaking a sweat....
But OH NO they are too soft for me.....

We awake, have hot tea, load up in the Cuiser, and go to find the herd.
We find the herd with out problem. We statr the chase. WE not only hear but see big bullsd mating with cows in the herd. WE follow, trying to stay close, not letting them get our sent in the changing wind. Waiting for last light, when Donza says the BIG ONE will be at the back.
The herd begans to run for some reason. We gie chase, we must stay with them, close enough for the final assualt at last light.
I have the 9,3 CHAPUIS, 286 grain Woodleigh Soft in the right bbl, 286 grain solid in the left. In the butstock carrier are all solids.
The 1.5-6 Swarovski is on the gun set at 2X.

We run after them, we sneak silently, we run quietly.
We see the back of the herd.
It is getting darker. I am testing the illuminated reticle. I now leave it "on".
It is getting dark, we are in thick jess.
A cow sees us. WE freeze, she runs away from the main bodyn of the herd.
We sneak rapidly foward.
THERE HE IS... HIS BODY IS HUGE, HE IS LOOKING RIGHT AT US.
As I raise the Chapuis I give the power dial a twist to some where around 4X. The buff is facing me at abolut 60 yards. Just before I shoot [unknown to me but clearly seen on the video later] the buff starts to turn to his left. His head has truned but he had not picked up his feet yet. I fire the right bbl, the 286 gr Woodleigh Soft.

I distinctly remember thinking how shootiong a BIG BUFF, FRONTAL CENTER CHEST, is not a good idea for any soft poine under 40 cal is not a good idea.

At my shot all pandemonium breaks out. Buffalo are running everywhere. Trees and brush seems to be crashing down all to our front.

I have no oppertunity for a second shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been 10 to 15 seconds since my shot, there is an erie silence. WE think we see the buff down. We side track our approach. I think I see the buff with his rear leg straight out, as I think I see him move it. I tell Donza. WE loose sight of the buff. I suggest we go back to where we can see him and just walk up on him.
We go back to where the shot was fired. It is so dark even in my binos what I thnought was a buffalo down does not look like a buff. We creep forward. Even at 5 yards we cannot tell.
I have placed my Petzel headlight on my head. i turn it on. IT IS THE BUFF, HE IS DOWN, HE IS DEAD. Taking no chanches we wald up kick him in the rear and I fiore a 286 gr weoodleigh Solit into mid body raking foward, as much as an insurance shot as to test penetration of the solids.

The Buff has only gone 40 yards max.
The 9,3x74R has killed the biggest bodied, biggest horned buffalo even quicker than my 450 No2.
Horns were 41 3/8" with a 17" boss, scored 115SCI.
Body seemed 25% bigger than the very nice buff I shot in the OMAY in 2004.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now one buff with a 9,3 is not much for a statisticition.
However I have shot a lot of game with the 9,3x74 including giraffe, buffalo and elephant.
I will say this.
I would not hesitate to go to Africa and hunt ANY of the big five with my 9,3x74R.

I am going back this October for a 34 day of so hunt. I am taking my wife.
I do not know if she will shoot the 9,3 of the 450/400 on her buff and cow elephant, but I eill shoot a cow or two with it if possible,
and a buff.
I do not think I could have made that shot on the buff with iron sights, we were in very thick dark bush.

While I have said this before, I "feel" it now.
I would rather hunt DG with my 9,3x74R Chapuis double than ANY bolt rifle. ANY BOLT RIFLE.
In a tight situation, and for general hunting, I feel a double rifle is that much superior.

I have a few interesting situations that occured on the hunt that I will report over time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony, thanks for this great adventure ..... Ruark, Hemingway or Boddington couldn't have made it more real. And it's also exciting to hear about how well the Chapuis performed; I have one that I haven't had a chance to use yet, but I can't wait now. Thanks again .... FRANK.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Tony, thanks for posting about your hunt. (Rusty gave me a thumbnail sketch yesterday pm.) Sounds like you had a great time. This should get more people interested in the 9.3, I know I am getting the "bug".

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thank you!

I really enjoyed your adventure, felt I was there a more than a couple of times! You did good....and that 9.3 clap

Looking forward to reading all you care to share....when can I order the Video! Well done!

thumb

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
October eh? Sneaky, sneaky.

Glad you had a good time -- I think your positive attitude in the face of weather and political problems says a lot. I hope you have even a better time this fall.

Now -- where are the pictures? rotflmo

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles I will have to get my wife to help with pictures.
Another one of my theories is "if you expect your PH to be perfect then you snould be the perfect client".
Five days into the hunt we had sen only one elephant a single tusker. That night around the fire, Donza [the PH] Ian [the videographer} and I were talking.
Ian stated, you know it is something when the client is trying to boost our spirits.
You see Ian had recommended Donza and Brooklands, and Donza had stated that elephants would be in abundance. However I realize nobody can control the weather. After all we were "hunting" elephants every day. I was in hog heaven. Ian stated most clients would be "worried" at this stage, and be complaining.
However I was with a good crew, working for a good company, and as Alfred E. Newman says "What Me worry". Big Grin

I am the ultimate optimist. If I had shot everything I had on "quota" on this hunt I would not be going back for 30+ days this Oct.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I need to get some of your positive attitude to rub off on me before I go back. I truly love to hunt but am more or less a professional pessimist. Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I get to meet Ians new wife, and donza's girl friend.

Are they the same person? Big Grin

Congratulations on a fun hunt, and I am sure October will be even better!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
No they are not the same person.
That was a good one, however.
I will be heading for California about the middle of May, do you want to shoot some more prairie dogs???

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and Congrats on the hunt.

Would love to see the pictures.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great post Tony!

The only thing better was spending this past Monday morning with Tony and Peggy standing in the middle of Collector's Firearms in Houston listening to Tony's stories and all of us laughing enought to draw the attention of clerks and customers alike! A Grand time spent with a couple of wonderful people!

Probably the best story was Peggy's "Catfishing" tale. If you get the chance to meet her, ask her about her technique!

Thanks again to Tony and Peggy for a most enjoyable visit and lunch!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
It was my pleasure. We need to get another DRSS hunt/shoot together after turkey season.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Jolly good recap, my friend!

I too want to buy a copy of the video! The one you showed us at the last DRSS hunt was the best damn African hunting video I have ever seen!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you are recovering. Great report, sounds like you had a blast and your outfitter and PH did their best to overcome man and mother nature.

Editted - By the way I'll be in Zim from Sept 12 through Oct 13. Good time to hunt elephants it seems.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Good to hear you are on the mend.

Thank you for the hunt recap. I can't wait to hear the story in person. Do you need a gun bearer in October? I don't suppose you would want to sell your 9.3 would you?

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Glad that you did not get bit on the butt..
Really enjoyed your hunting recap...
Dallas will be a hoot in January... beer

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Tony,
Really enjoyed your hunting recap...
Dallas will be a hoot in January... beer

Mike thumb

We will need a giant TV screen and DVD player at the Mariott, to watch Tony's hunting adventures.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I would love to shoot some PDs. Hopefully I will not blow up my gun this time. Wink I have found that I prefer a DCM AR over the Cooper for PDs, but the Cooper serves me well also.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just might scope one of my Match AR,s and bring it too.
I actually have an AR space gun that I have never shot hmmmmm....
Might be a good reason to break it in.

When my travel plans get more definate I will give you a shout, but I should be leaving TX about the middle of May.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Awesome story NE450#2!!! That was worth the wait. Congrats on a great hunt! Looking forward to some pictures. Smiler

Are you going to change your screen name now?

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Great Report and glad you are well.
Gene
Now we can go to big bore and hammering

over the 9.3 vs the 375 Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Tony. What a blast!! I agree, I'll have to arrange for a TV in our AR meeting room at the Marriott. Everyone would love to see the video.

Tell us about Ian. I have met him but am curious how your "business" relationship works. Like, does he go as an observer? Who pays those fees? Who pays for the plane ticket? and so on. If these questions are to personal, I understand. It would be cool to have an experience video man along so just trying to figure out the cost of the arrangement.

Next, what did the docs tell you about the spider bites? What did they/he prescribe for them?

Thanks Tony and welcome back.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Tony, fantastic hunt. Look forward to hearing lots of stories in Dallas next year.

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote