Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting report Burkina Faso
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://s1308.photobucket.com/u...eytjjbx.jpg.html?o=0

Just returned From a great hunt in Burkina Faso . Arrived in Ouagadougou On January 16 gun and luggage cleared with no problem and overnight-ed at a secure hotel Laico Ouaga 200 . Next day after a great breakfast we drove to camp located in the south eastern part of Burkina next to Arli national park . While it was a long drive and a good part of it was on dirt roads the scenery was very interesting we broke up the trip by having lunch at a restaurant half way . Upon arrival to camp we were assigned our chalets basic but conformable. Had dinner food basic but good .

Next day after sighting in our rifles we started the hunt . Good quality game was plentiful and I was able to shoot a great Kob before 8 AM on the first day . After lunch we hunted for the other animals on my wish list, made 3 stocks on roan in the afternoon saw some females and small male but no shooters. The next day started after a early breakfast of omelet and french bread. We continued the hunt did several stocks on roan. Good animals but no shooters . Just as the end of day we saw a group of roan about a mile away lot of open country so we (the PH tracker and me ) did a long low crawl and a swift but stealthy stock to get with 230 yards of a great roan where we ran out of cover. He was facing head on making it an aggressive shot but one that I had confidence in. I made the shot, made some follow up shots and he was down .

Next day was the day of the Buffalo. Started early came across some tracks followed them for about 2 miles had to hunker down unit the Bull turned . Got a quartering away shot at about 100 yards . Got him behind the shoulder hitting the lung. He ran a short way went down got up after several follow shots and a short trek through some heavy cover i finished him off. Those Savanna Buffalo are every bit as tough as their cape cousins . Last animal in the wish list was a Western Heart beast. We were out of the truck walking where we saw him in the open . After I was assured by my PH that it was indeed Bacau (big). He fell to a head on shot at about 160 yards . I spent the rest of the trip looking for diker and enjoying the magnificent scenery of the bush .Saw many elephant crocodiles a lion and a leopard .

This was a great hunt, one of the best of my 14 hunts on the dark Continent. It is not a hunt for a first time hunter . It is a hunt for some one who has hunted Africa several times and is familial with the drill . The staff are very helpful the PH are very qualified and the tracking is some of the best I have seen . But they speak little English. A interpreter is provided on the hunt if you want one . I found that this extra body was entirely unnecessary . As I was able to adequately communicate with elementary French and hand signals . Interpreter being one more body to screw up a stalk . It is not a hard hunt but it is not a easy hunt hunt either. High quality game in plentiful but you should be able to walk 11,000 steps a day (5)miles and be able to hit a dinner plate off the sticks at about 150 yards to fully enjoy the hunt. The staff were great food good and accommodations adequate and they will move heaven and earth to help you to get your trophies.

Lastly I cannot finish this report without mentioning the security situation and your personal risk tolerance level . Any one who watches the news knows there was a terror attack in Ouagadougou where 30 people were killed. I arrived on the day of the attack . I felt safe and comfortable with the situation stayed at a well guarded secure hotel on the first night , security was tight and the staff meet you at the airport. This hunt was booked through Arjun Reddy at Hunters network .com

Jim

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
shotgun46,

Good report and it really did sound like you had a wonderful time in good country. Your photos are really poor but what the hell and it is all about the hunting.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9877 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well they are not that bad second thought I guess they are. will do a better job next hunt

quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
shotgun46,

Good report and it really did sound like you had a wonderful time in good country. Your photos are really poor but what the hell and it is all about the hunting.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Good to hear the hunt was successful. Smiler

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations a very interesting safari and good trophies as well. The hartebeest is really strong.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your photos are really poor but what the hell and it is all about the hunting.

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see some pictures.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Click on the photobucket link above the thread

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I'd love to see some pictures.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done. Nice trophies!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Russell

Well done on your hunt- looking forward to the pics. It sounds like you all did well and had a blast!!!! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
very nice- congrats!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz Shotgun46 Is Jim L

quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Hi Russell

Well done on your hunt- looking forward to the pics. It sounds like you all did well and had a blast!!!! Cheers Buzz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a hunt to enjoy! Congrats.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
Nicely Done Jim! aka 'Russell'....

Smiler

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com

Posts: 252 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phillip great to hear from you need to send you a picture of my leopard mounted they did a fantastic job

One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
Brilliant - Would love to see where it ended up.

Send me an email with the final product!! He was a beauty!

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com