Notify
Tools

Re: Tips and Packing List
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Holy Smoke

That is excellant & comprehensive ... my only concern is that to some real newbee it might actually frighten him off going to hunt Africa as it almost resembles a constitution with acts of parliament thrown in for good measure .. I just want to allay any fears that some might have after reading and thinking life is too complicated when in fact most things are there as a worst case scenario and not as a MUST DO

Happy hunting

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Terry-what is Namibias position on this? And, if they allow 2 rifles of the same caliber, can I bring them in through RSA in transit?

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I am thinking of doing the same--my son and I would be shooting the same type of game and it would simplify ammunition. I called SAA, was told that I would have to recheck my guns in Johannesburg, but the South African laws would not apply. From another source, not SAA, I was told this only applied flying through Capetown. However, a friend going flying through Johannesburg had his guns held up there in customs, while he flew on out of the country. He had the guns checked through the whole way by the airline.

Most of the people that I have talked to, have just checked in guns all the way to their destination and have not had a problem.

I may rethink my gameplan in order to avoid giving somebody a way of making the trip a catastrophe before the shooting has even started. Two different calibers might not be bad.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Nelson,

I ran into this same thing last February. The TSA agents told me I had to have my ammo in a locked hard case.
I firmly but politely said "I do not. Please go get your supervisor and make sure he brings his regulation book." I had a copy of the reg's in my own pocklet at the time.
He came, looked it up, said "he's right", they appologized, and I was on my way. The ammo(2 boxes of Federal .300 Win Mags.) was in the original packaging. The regs' read, "Ammunition must be securely packed in durable fiber, wood, or metal boxes or in the munufacturer's original pacakging." Then though, it also says "Additional restrictions may apply for international travel".

I take it that these "Aditional restrictions" would be up to the airlines...not TSA.
Thing is , know you're right and don't be bashful about it.

Rich ELliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
mikeh416Rigby,

I do not know the rules re: taking two rifles of the same into Namibia. Try emailing NAPHA to see what they say.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote