Notify
Tools

Cruiser Safaris, RSA, Oct 2003
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dates : Oct 15-21, 2003

Company : Cruiser Safaris http://www.cruisersafaris.com

PH : Jacques Burger, Jacques is a 24 year old native of the area. His devotion to providing a quality hunt, ability to judge game, and seeing to every detail was wonderful. I would recommend him to anyone hunting with this outfit. If I were to go back, I would request to hunt with him again.

Booking Agent : Bob Clark - info@cruisersafaris.com - 877-856-5259
Bob is a very friendly fellow and a straight shooter. He is easy to access and answers e-mail very promptly.

Travel Agent - Kathi Klimes (Kathi here on AR)-World Travel Mart-kathi@wldtravel.com
-708-425-3552
Kathi was a true pro. She found me the cheapest airfare (reference her post about SAA sale) and great seats for both long flights (I was upstairs in choice locations). In addition, she provided all the tips, tricks, and hints to make the trip very smooth.

Package hunt - 7 days to include 5 animals - impala, kudu, warthog, red hartebeest or blue wildebeest, and duiker or steenbuck. Other as available on trophy fee basis.

Animals taken - impala, kudu, warthog (2), red hartebeest, duiker, and blesbuck

The hunt :
This was my first trip to Africa. This was a fenced hunt, as are most in RSA. So, you have same strange feelings about what it might be. The areas hunted were so large that the fence was not an issue. The hunting was different, but challenging. Like all animals, some animals were lucked into, some eluded you. I lucked into a huge impala at 9AM on the first day. My package hunt included either a red hartebeest or a blue wildebeest. I spent 2 days chasing a few large wildebeest bull all over, and I never got a shot. I took a red hartebeest to save time. So much for tame animals.

The hunt can be what you want. You can stay close to the truck are you can walk your legs off. I said I would walk to find trophies, and we did a bit. We kept track and I think we trekked 18+ miles over the week. It is easy walking, so it is not a big deal. Thorns are the only issue. My most favorite times were walking quietly through the bush looking for animals. Stalking up on kudu that were breaking branches by sound was a wonderful experience. So, were trying to fool all of the warthogs you will run into.

I took 7 animals total, the blue wildebeest and the kudu being the most challenging. I did not take a wildebeest. I took my kudu on the evening of the 6th day. The kudu density varied on different ranches. The drought had taken its toll too. My 51" animal was the best opportunity I had, although one/maybe two larger animals were spotted and chased.

Of all things, it turned cool and started to rain on day 4. We suited up and continued to hunt hard.

Jacques was tireless and insistent that that we find the best quality animals. He also saw to every detail to make the hunt as successful as possible. The trackers and help were also willing to go at any time or in any weather conditions. A few times, one or so was not exactly thrilled [Big Grin]

The accommodations were scenic, nice, clean, and very comfortable. I was fed too well. Daily laundry and cleaning services were part of the deal. I had a very comfortable private room with a shower and toilet. The rooms are not air conditioned, so be prepare to dress accordingly if it is hot.

The hunt was one of the most inexpensive I found. While not a tented affair in remote East Africa with lions and elephants, I think I got a extremely good value for my money. The company is comprised of young people, but their commitment to service and their hunting skills are not lacking in the least. In addition, they were nice fellows that enjoyed a good laugh. And a practical joke. I would recommend them.

You can find my pics on the African hunting forum if you care to see them.

Other tips, tricks, and afterthoughts -

Travel - SAA was a pleasant surprise. The airline was very professional and no problems were encountered. My baggage made the trips with no problem. Each seat has a personal entertainment center where you can watch movies or play games via remote when you want to. My only surprise was that the movies were the same coming and going, so don't load up one way! The food was good, for an airline. And they gave you a good bit. The left water, snacks, and drinks out during the flight. Kathi got me upstairs on both legs. One the trip there, she managed to get a empty seat next to me, which made the flight very comfortable. The flight back was full. I was on the exit row. Incredible leg room, but it seems everyone gathers there to do exercises. My feet were stepped on a number of times. But, you don't have to get up to let people out. Be warned, the upstairs overheads are quite small. The window seats have compartments near the windows. If you bag doesn't fit, they bring it to the back and ask that you not try to retrieve it during the flight. Be sure and get up once and awhile and walk, at least to the bathroom.

In JHB, you will get asked for bribes, if my experience is typical. Although it is against my nature, what do you do when a jacketed agent is asking for it and he has control of your gun? 3 dollars seemed fine. I would keep a few in your pocket folded in 3 dollar increments. The porters are almost aggressive in wanting to help. If you get a free cart, they are not needed. If you are short on time, I understand they are good at cutting in linesSmiler

As far as customs, etc, just follow instructions and you will be fine. Leave the biltong!

Clothes - Cotton seemed to be the rule, but this is one area where I would disagree with conventional advise, although my experience is only with this outfitter and I did get rained on. Camo is Ok with this outfitter, and they wear it themselves. So, I would not buy a bunch of stuff for the trip here. Keep a suit of clothes for travel and town. 3 suits of clothes is nice in case you get bloody or wet and want to change. I would take my synthetics and have a talk about the ironing. Most safaris are during the winter. And, it gets quite cold there. You will go from riding in the back of the truck (quite windy) to possibly long walks. Alaska clothes (wicking and quick drying) seem appropriate. A wind shirt would be welcomed. I dearly wished for my goretex pants on my safari. As a tip, I bought cargo pants off the clearance rack at JC Penny that were perfect for <$10. Blair.com often has long sleeve shirts at incredible deals.

I would strongly recommend that you sit down the first day and discuss in detail your expectations and limitations with your PH prior to hunting. They will accommodate. I say limitations because you need to tell them if walking long distances is a problem. Also, some of you guys must be incredible shots, because I often passed on shots I was not comfortable with. Remember, if you wound, you will pay and likely spend valuable time tracking the animal. A lot of opportunities were at moving animals. Some of them I didn't take because the sight picture was not right. My thought- better to take a sure lesser animal that wound one of these magnificent beasts.

Practice shooting from sticks. Make sure your rifle is like second nature to you. Even handling in your living room is great practice. Don't look for the effects of your first shot. Rack the bolt and be ready to fire again. To me, one shot kills mean nothing, ending the animals life as soon as possible does. Some of the animals are incredibly tough. The impala was hit well, but made it 200 yards without a dropping a bit of blood for the first 150. The blesbuck would not quit, despite having no control of his front legs and having no heart left.

Bring duct tape as a gift. It is hard to get there and was much appreciated.

Carry your camera all the time if possible. I missed some photos of some beautiful sites because the camera was inconvenient. You never know what is behind the next bush there.

As a final note, have fun. Things in the airport and town do not work quite the some as here. Often, voicing an opinion here can shame people into doing there job or have a supervisor make sure things happen as they should. I found a happy, smiling attitude was the best approach there. Give yourself plenty of time. Also, during the hunt, thry to relax and trust in your PH. I tend to rush things too much and try to do too much, and I think a lot of people are like me. Sit back and smell the roses. You are on vacation!

Hope this helps. I am no expert, but my assorted musings on this trip.

Posts: 72 | Location: Southern Louisiana | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Metalman,

Great report, thanks.

Here is a link to a previous post with pictures of Metalman's trophies Post with Pics

Here is alink to Metalman's Picture Album

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Metalman,

That is a great report on your first trip to Africa! You very accurately portrayed everything I felt after my first trip.

Are you planning your return trip yet?

Les

PS Isn't rain gear a wonderful thing when you really need it?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LHowell,

I am right now, oddly enough, wondering if disciplined retirement planning is all that important or if I can go back next year. [Big Grin]

Never leave home without rain gear, even if to a drought in Africa.

A few other things have struck me that I thought I would add:

Waterholes - it seems to be a touchy subject with a few people. Personally, maybe I a skewed by having spent a great deal of time up in a tree hoping a deer might come my way, but I see nothing different than stand hunting for deer, and I actually enjoyed it. You can hunt how you wish, but I found a few hours by a waterhole to be great fun. You get to see the animal in a completely unalarmed state. You get to watch the extremely cautious approaches of some, the ruckus a baboon troupe makes, and the antics of the warthogs. All hunters are nature lovers, and the show was as good as a Discovery Channel special. The PH and the tracker also went to the trouble to haul a small couch out there and build a fairly elaborate blind! So, I was quite comfortable. Watching a cow giraffe and two young ones up close and personal as they reached all the way down to the water's surface was quite a treat. As you probably deduced from my blesbuck photo, he was taken at a waterhole (and decided to take a swim when shot). I, for the life of me, cannot see it as less of a hunt. Be sure and bring your camera. Forgetting mine in the truck is one of my big regrets on my safari.

One other thing that was different than my normal hunting. There is nearly constant bush there, but it is not very high. During stalking you will hide by walking in a crouch (duck walk) or will bend almost 90 degrees at the waist. This uses new muscles. Duck walking a bit before you go might help. And be sure your leg does not slip down a warthog hole, especially if any are resident at the time! [Eek!]

Often, at the same time, your upper body will be in positions only meant for a contortionist due to those thorns. It would be worthwhile to check you clothes to make sure stickers slide over them easily and without strange noises. I found my synthetic stock to make the strangest sounds. I found it best at times to hand carry my rifle and wad the sling up in my hand. I think I would remove it entirely on a return trip.

Finally, don't be embarrassed that your PH is so much better at spotting animals at first. After a few days, you will "get your eyes". Most importantly, with a good PH, you will feel as part of a team, rather than as simply being the shooter (I hate that feeling). I brought home the bragging rights to having spotted a few of my animals first. I was especially proud that I found my hartebeest first after the shot! Who needs those tracking skills, just climb a hill and look! [Razz]

Posts: 72 | Location: Southern Louisiana | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote