Notify
Tools

Bug killing vs. repellant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Guys,

A while ago there was a thread about spraying your clothes with pyrithin (spelling) it is a tick and also insect killing spray...One would lay out clothes spray (outsides)let dry and pack in a dark plastic bag and it would last thru 3 or four washings while on safari...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Permethrin

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That damn Carr always knows where to find the correct answer... Thank you...Terry....

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I guess I'm going to have to teach you guys how to use Google. [Wink]

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
On my last Nyala hunt in the Natal. I put permathrin on my pants & top of my socks ( pull your socks over your pants ) the night before the hunt.
And It worked great.

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
I use (and sell) Shannon Bug Tamer clothing.
Works like a champ.
I take a can or two of Repel Permanone Permethrin Aerosol Spray and do socks, shoes and hat etc.
DO NOT GET THIS STUFF ON YOUR SKIN.
So far...no ticks on any safari so far.
Bug Tamer jacket is great to keep bugs etc. off when turkey hunting and I use it deer hunting too.
The hood and attached head net kills the glare off my glasses when I am hid out in the mesquites awaiting Mr Big.
Just buy a big one and it will go over everything. I have worn mine from Tanzania to Texas...hot and cold weather.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We did three things prior to going to Tanzania last year with reference to the bugs.

(1) Permitherin treatment of all clothes except underwear. We treated at a strength that would have lasted 6 weeks with daily laundering. Once dry, there was no oder.

(2) We took garlic (GNC 880 mg) twice a day for two weeks prior to going, and while there. This was a recommendation by our own Mr.Ray Atkinson. I also read the report by the British Military about using this regimen. They found that it was effective.

(3) 'Avon Bug Guard' with sunscreen and moisturizer. We would apply this on all skin surfaces prior to getting dressed. Put it heavily on or faces, especially the ears, but not over your eyes. The days that I wore shorts, I would spray 100% DEET around my boots, socks,& gators, just for some extra insurance.

With this regimen, we did not get ANY ticks, mossy bites, or tetsee fly bites. They would land and take right off. When it wore off from sweat, you would feel a bite begin. We would just re-apply it and go on. All of this is paint and gun stock finish friendly. The people that did not use this looked like they were beating themselves to death. Constantly swatting or pulling ticks.

In most of the pictures that have my wife in them, you can see the orange cap from the 'Bug Guard' in her pocket. Never far from it. All of this information was gathered from this site of the last couple of years.

This worked wonders and we will repeat it again, you can be sure of that.

If you do as we did, I am sure that you will not have any problems with the insects.

All the best,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another great bug repellent is Skintastic and its only 7% deet, but it works great on Tetsi flys, reapply every hour or so to face and hands...

11 inch gaitors are a boon to keeping Mr. Tetsi from crawling up your pants leg and eating your ankles to shreds....

Or take me with you for a decoy, they will all land and eat on me for the duration, and everyone else within a hundred mile area is safe.

Posts: 41882 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
With Permethrin on the clothes and 100% DEET on the skin I still had two of those bloodsucking little bastards ride me for a meal last trip. I guess we spent too much time slogging through the bush after eland (no luck), kudu (yes), elephants (no shooters), etc.

There was a spray the trackers and our driver used, came in an aerosol can, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Sprayed that sh*t right on the ticks then coated them with olive oil and then pulled, or should I say teased and twisted, them out with tweezers.

Part of the program, I guess. But still, use it or they'll be even worse!!!!

[ 12-09-2003, 10:24: Message edited by: mrlexma ]

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote