Tools

Hunting the Seychelles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
A very interesting and eye-opening report on how to eradicate a pestilential species of bird.

Given your position within the establishment (IUCN), it could be another opportunity for you by assisting the Tanzanian government in getting rid of the Indian Crow which some cretin, thinking it was a great idea to introduce to the island of Zanzibar to clean up the garbage years ago, gave no second thoughts to the damage and destruction this bird could achieve.

Our native African Pied Crow and Kites are almost non-existent along the coastal belt, no thanks to the dedicated annihilation of their eggs and young by the ever destructive Indian Crow.

All other forms of bird life have also been drastically affected and various attempts (traps and poisoned bait) by the local authorities in ridding themselves of this unwelcome guest have proved futile.

Food for thought?

Yes, the problems involved with the Indian Crow is well known. And yes, it was a really bad idea to introduce it (as often).

Everything is possible, but the costs for eradications increases with the size of the area. Zanzibar island is quite big and the money for the eradication work has to come from somewhere, usually from the national authorities. Zanzibar is also quite close to the mainland, new invading crows will most probably move in during time. Then it would need an established protocol to early detect and kill them. But again, money is the single most important parameter for success...

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zanzibar is also quite close to the mainland, new invading crows will most probably move in during time.

Ya gotta be kidding! ... crow flying time to the nearest headland probably 20 mins. and they have been permanent residents on the mainland coastal belt for at least 20 years if not more.

Statistics suggest there are probably more crows on Zanzibar today than there are inhabitants, who number around 1 million.

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Zanzibar is also quite close to the mainland, new invading crows will most probably move in during time.

Ya gotta be kidding! ... crow flying time to the nearest headland probably 20 mins. and they have been permanent residents on the mainland coastal belt for at least 20 years if not more.

Statistics suggest there are probably more crows on Zanzibar today than there are inhabitants, who number around 1 million.

Sorry, I don´t understand your comment, do you think that they can not fly for 20 minutes?

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, I don´t understand your comment, do you think that they can not fly for 20 minutes?

A crow (esp. the Indian) is a resilient bird and would probably fly into oblivion if it wanted to.

It could be capable of completing the journey from Z/Bar to TZ in 20 min or less if it has a good tail-wind. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Sorry, I don´t understand your comment, do you think that they can not fly for 20 minutes?

A crow (esp. the Indian) is a resilient bird and would probably fly into oblivion if it wanted to.

It could be capable of completing the journey from Z/Bar to TZ in 20 min or less if it has a good tail-wind. Big Grin[/QUOTE

Good, then we are on the same page. If a eradication is made on Zanzibar the protocol for early detection and control of new invading birds would be of uttermost importance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Fascinating and very interesting indeed. Thanks for taking the time to post a report about your work. Well done on getting the family to join you in that beautiful place.

+1 tu2

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, indeed! Thank you for taking the time to post this report.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
My friend i can work as you asistant ,me and Bjorie Cool.Im jealous of your work .
P-Ahlen is not only a biologist ,hes a well known professional hunter,owner o ww.nordikpredator.se the Best predator callers in th world ,and an international hunter .His hunting dvds are a must see for any hunter that wants to visit Sweden .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...interesting story!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work. those are horrible birds.

Posts: 111 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fujo,

We can't eradicate the Indian crow by ourselves, but it can be done. It's all about salesmanship. If we can convince the Chinese that Indian crow beaks, balls, spleens, or any other body part are an aphrodisiac, the crows are history.

Posts: 10035 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Fujo,

We can't eradicate the Indian crow by ourselves, but it can be done. It's all about salesmanship. If we can convince the Chinese that Indian crow beaks, balls, spleens, or any other body part are an aphrodisiac, the crows are history.

Unfortunately the crows win - their flesh must be toxic as no other animal, not even their own kind will feed off their carcasses and they are known to eat anything and everything.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report, and most interesting to read.

I do not like myna birds one little bit - we have them here in Dubai, and they are a bloody menace!

I shoot them all the time, and our crocs love them!

Have been to the Seychelles many times, and love the place, especially for its bird life.

I remember talking to the people there and they do not like these invasions at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67004 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Fantastic report, and most interesting to read.

I do not like myna birds one little bit - we have them here in Dubai, and they are a bloody menace!

I shoot them all the time, and our crocs love them!

Have been to the Seychelles many times, and love the place, especially for its bird life.

I remember talking to the people there and they do not like these invasions at all.

Thank you Saeed,

On my way home from the Seychelles I had some hours in the Dubai airport. Much to my surprise I found that mynas are living inside the airport, special kind of birds this...

I am really looking forward to do this work again when North Island (also in the Seychelles) are ready for myna eradication.

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
My friend i can work as you asistant ,me and Bjorie Cool.Im jealous of your work .
P-Ahlen is not only a biologist ,hes a well known professional hunter,owner o ww.nordikpredator.se the Best predator callers in th world ,and an international hunter .His hunting dvds are a must see for any hunter that wants to visit Sweden .

Juan, in that case would your wife come along and cook for us? Smiler Smiler Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PA - maybe you could come up with some scientific arrangements on the Viking Safari with Buzz & co ? Paid by the Swedish Government so that we can stay longer ???

Morten

Roll Eyes Wink dancing

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote