New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiny ten?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the tiny ten?
What are considered good trophy size?

Thanks

posted Hide Post
If it's a South Africa hunt: Blue Duiker, Red Duiker, Common Duiker, Steenbok, Suni, Sharpe's Grysbok, Klipspringer, Oribi, Mountain Reedbuck, Vaal Rhebok.
Other countries might substitute dik-dik, royal antelope, even water chevrotain.

I don't have an SCI Record Book handy to tell you what would make the Book.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My PH said he recommends harvesting when the horns are as tall as the ears.

They might be referred to as the tiny ten, but ask your taxidermist about a full body mount!!!

Nothing tiny about it at all!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Vapodog; What is your taxi asking for a full body mount? Mine in Oklahoma is going to charg $ 1250. I agree that is allot of money. But, it also must be most difficult stitching up legs the size of a pencil and make it look good. I am sure it takes allot of time and talent to make one look really good.

I am thinking of having mine laying down under a bush with his head up, just like I found him when I was hunting.

What kills me is the taxi in Maun is charging the same dip and prep fee for my steenbok as my other animals (gemsbok, hartebeest, springbok). Which by the way is $ 130/ animal including paperwork. I find that outrageous, but there is only one taxi in Maun.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I use several different taxidermists depending on what IM doing. You might want to check out the guy who is doing my lifesize duiker and steenbok. The 1st with a tabletop base, the second with a freestanding base. $800.00 each. He does good work if your interested.
Anthony Maxwell
Maxwell Wildlife Art
2713 E Keyes RD
Ceres, CA 95307
209-538-2713
maxart1986@yahoo.com

Yes, the little guys are as much or more than big shoulder mounts.

[ 09-18-2003, 06:51: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist (actually an artist) charges $1,600 for a full mount duiker.

I drew a mountain lion tag for this fall and the price for that is $2,200 full mount....and 600 for a rug.

Kudu pedistal mount $650 plus pedistal.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, don't want to get in a p*ss contest, but I don't think you can do a tiny ten in RSA alone. I think there are only 9 in RSA. Drop the last two on your list and add the Cape Grysbok. Just my opinion and my personal list that I am working on oh the other is a Dik-Dik available in Namibia.

I guess it could be like the big 5 where some don't count the White Rino only the Black which is more dangerous but dumb as a box of rocks.

When it comes to trophy size any Blue Duiker with horns is a trophy. My Blue is Bronze at 1 3/8 and I was and am very happy, it is one of my most prized trophies. My best is my Orbi 5 5/8.

[ 10-01-2003, 15:49: Message edited by: Die Ou Jagter ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DOJ,

No problem. I am not up on these contrived slams, offered by outfitters and promoted by SCI.

Chances are some outfit in RSA has introduced dik-diks, to go along with the other imports.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote