ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    CMS Tuskless in Chewore Extra pics at end

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMS Tuskless in Chewore Extra pics at end
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted
Tuskless Hunt in Chewore South

Rifles Searcy 450NE Classic
Ruger RSM 375 H&H
CEB bullets for both
Travel Delta 200/201 Travel With Guns
Lodging African Sky
PH Luke Swartz
Observer/Rifle bearer/photographer Carol
Camps Makanga /Pedza

I was scheduled to hunt with Alan Shearing in Dande. A few weeks before i left i was asked if i minded a slight change. I was now going to hunt with Luke Swartz in Chewore South. I had not heard about Luke at this point. When Myles picked us up at Harare he told me about Luke. He said he is " one to watch". It turned out that we had a great time with Luke. He is a great hunter and a blast to spend time.

After a uneventful flight from the states to JNB we spent the night at African Sky. First time i have ever seen the place completely full. Lots of other AR members there for the night. Next morning we were off to Harare. We arrived to find out some of our luggage was left behind. The was a fuel shortage in Harare so SAA decide to leave bags behind to be able to carry more fuel for the return flight.Instead of flying out to the camps we were dropped off at Amanzi B&B. Great place to spend the night. Myles picked us up in the morning and went back to the airport. Had decided that if our bags were not there we would head to camp anyway. Luckily everyone,s bags had arrived.Made our way to the charter flight and we were on our way to Chewore South.
Landing at Chenji air strip we met our team.
We arrived in camp just in time for lunch. Afterwards we checked the guns and off to walk the Makanga River looking for elephant activity.
We did not see any elephant on that walk but did see a lot of fresh tracks and saw a dead cow that had been used for a hyena bait.
The next morning we drove into Chewore and began a serious look for a big tuskless. I had told Luke that i did not want to shoot the first one we saw. I was really planning on spending some time with the elephants. My first elephant hunt was a park boundary hunt.I did shoot a bull but i did not see a lot of elephants up close. Luke had done his apprenticeship in Chewore and he knew that place well. Some times we found tracks on the road to follow. Most of the time we headed off the roads to springs that Luke knew of. Every time we headed to a hidden spring we found elephants.
I was having a great time seeing elephants up close. We would usually get inside of two to three herds a day.
Most of the time there was not a tuskless present.
On day four we did see a huge tuskless in a herd of 10 elephants. Luke said this one was too big to pass on. We then made a quick hike into the herd.
Here is the one we were looking at.
We made our final approach.
When we were as close as we were going to get, The sticks go up. I took the frontal brain shot. He dropped to the shot and i was very pleased. As soon as it hit the ground the rest of the herd moved it to see what happenned. Luke want me to shoot again but there were no open shots.As the herd moved away i shot it again. That's when the lead cow found out where we were. She decided to come at us. We all ran up a hill that was behind us. She only came half way and then decided to give up. When she left with her calf she ended going in the direction of the cruiser. The cow gave Emanuel our driver a little scare.
The elephant ended up being a old bull. The first one CMS had shot.
It was late in the day so we decide to cover it up and do the recovery the following day. Chewore is a great place to hunt elephant leopard and buffalo. There was very little other game present. Being that i had shot most of the plains game on previous safaris we decide to move camps and do some fishing on the Zambezi. The day after the recovery we loaded up and left Makanga camp and moved to Pedza camp.
The was a hunter there hunting with Alan. The day we arrived they had shot a tuskless also. We had quite a celebration that night.Oh my head hurts Confused New rule is don't drink anything without a label.Or anything that is on fire.

The trip took a turn for relaxing and having fun today. Myles had arranged for us to use a boat out of the fishing camp. We also visited the Matombo camp where the other hunters we flew in with were hunting. What a view from that camp. The road up there is terrible but well worth it.

We had a little boat trouble the first day. Had to "Make a Plan"
Had to make a oar from a fishing rod and a flip flop. Ended up getting some help from from some Zambian fishermen. All part of the adventure. Wink

Had great time fishing the mighty Zambezi. Lots to see
The river was quite cold and even the hippos did not want to be in it.

Had great fun cathing the bait and fishing for tiger fish

While we were there, Zimbabwe was having a national holiday. Hero's Day. We were asked to deliver some meat to the village council.

While we were talking one evening we asked if we would like to try to find the Vadoma people. We did not know anything about them. This tribe in Zim as about to be extinct. There are very few of them left because the will not associate with outsiders. We made a plan to find them the following day. We took Didi from the camp with us, he would try to find the location. On the way we ran into Buzz and his clients. It was quite cold in the mornings. His tracker was dressed for it
After quite a drive and picking up another guide we found the Vadoma people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadoma
http://www.atlasobscura.com/pl...rich-people-zimbabwe
Here is the women that we found. We had to bribe her to come outside for picture. She was quite afraid of her husband beating her for talking to outsiders.

On the way back to the camp we stopped in the village to hand out candy to the kids
On the way back to Pedza we ran accross some wild dog tracks. After following them for quite a few miles we found them. What a treat this was
Our time in Zim was coming to a end all too soon. Had one last night at camp and then to Harare. Had great night enjoying the bush babies and the other hunters stories

The final sunset

After arriving in Harare Buzz picked us up and delivered us to the Amanzi B&B. He got a super upgraded room the, honeymoon suite.
That night he took us shopping at a few places then we went to dinner at his home. Had a great time with Buzz and Stef.
The next day Luke showed up with his girlfriend to say goodbye. We were off to the airport and the long trip home.

Final Thoughts If Buzz and Myles make a plan it will be a good plan. The last minute change in PH and area worried me. But it was better than expected in every way. Luke is someone to hunt with if you want to hunt hard and have great time. Could not have have a better time with him.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for the posting all the nice photos. I was in Chewore South last year for the same hunt and met Luke, although Alan was my PH. I am happy to see Luke finally got a pair of shoes. He went barefoot everywhere he went when I was there. Did you see the dinosaur tracks while you were there?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Great report, congrats on a fine hunt. I would have loved to have met the Vadoma woman.

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Great report and photos - thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, well done.
I don't think you realise just how special that meeting with the Vadoma woman was.
There are very few people even in the Zambezi Valley who have ever seen them. The two toes show very clearly on your photograph.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I just realized, I think, that you shot a tuskless bull too. If that is right, and you met the Vadoma woman, wow you hit the lotto. Could hunt another twenty years and not repeat that feat!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Just outstanding in so many ways. Great photos, love your rifle choices, and so cool you shot a tuskless bull after passing on the cow. I stayed at Pedza and love to see the bush babies. Thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful safari Chris!

A tuskless bull , you are lucky indeed.

I have also hunted Chewore sth for tuskless in 2013 with CM and had a great time.

Your photos brought back some memories for me, the bait under the tree in the riverbed is where i shot my Hyena last year!!!!

The Vadoma tribe encounter is fascinating!!

Congratulations to all again.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent a lot of time at Chenji and walking the Makanga. Brings back a lot of great memories. Great report and hunt.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice story in pics. I love to see photos of the entire African experience rather than just the critters killed.
Thanks for posting.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!..Thanks for the report.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of r_p_narramore
posted Hide Post
Great report. I've met Luke and he seems like a great guy to hunt with. Congrats on the hunt.

Posts: 53 | Location: Eastern KY | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us more about the tuskless bull. Did you know if it was bull before you shot it or only after you walked up on him. What a rare and special trophy. Most of us won't ever see that. You had a great all around experience. That is what a safari should be like.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Thank you for a great report and on congratulations on your success!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Congratulations on a great hunt and fine trophy! Great report and photos!

David

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tuskless bull, amazing!
Great story and pictures. Thank you.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Chris, great report!
Pleasure for me to share the camp with you and Carol.
Petr

Posts: 40 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 29 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
Tell us more about the tuskless bull. Did you know if it was bull before you shot it or only after you walked up on him. What a rare and special trophy. Most of us won't ever see that. You had a great all around experience. That is what a safari should be like.

Did not know it was a bull until he was on the ground.
We did not look at it very long before we decide this was the one. It was taller than the others except the big bull in the herd.
Most every herd we looked at had at least one big bull in it.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtep:
Well done Chris, great report!
Pleasure for me to share the camp with you and Carol.
Petr

Petr
Glad we got to spend some time with you and Merick.
Did you get to catch a tiger fish before you left??

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Great hunt, well done.
I don't think you realise just how special that meeting with the Vadoma woman was.
There are very few people even in the Zambezi Valley who have ever seen them. The two toes show very clearly on your photograph.

I will be offering guided trips to see the tribe. I have the GPS numbers and can return.
You will just have to buy me a ten day hunt Big Grin

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done Chris... I definitely need to hang out with you or at least have the opportunity to try and get some of your luck to rub off on me! Nice tuskless bull! That is the only one I can remember being posted here.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! good Reading.

Posts: 190 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Here is a pic of a Vadoma cave we found along the cliff above Mkanga River not too far up stream from where the main road crosses in Chewore South.

I took this pic in 2006.

You can see the little cave with the fresh stick ladder going to it at the top of the pic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

Here is a little bit closer up of the Vadoma cave w/ ladder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had the time of your life! Congratulations. tu2

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, I could have sworn I posted this before but age I guess. Great on your tuskless bull. I am not sure if you remember, but my first bull (also tuskless) ele was near yours (Dande East) in 2005. It is very rare to get a tuskless bull. Buzz also knew of the bull I got but at the time the area was managed by Bill Bedford and my PH was a good friend Bruce Watson. Bruce still has the skull at this house and says it is one of the biggest skulls most of them have ever seen. Oh, if only some of that bone had gone into ivory. Im also glad to see you have a nice rifle after Mr. Nerving took advantage of us. Anyway, great for you to have such a great hunt.

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Tough life in the village

Hair cut day

Waiting for high tide

Villagers ride cool bikes

Part time gun bearer

The team at work

Elephant dung bridge

Buffalo bean
Bringing Michigan to Zim

Gate sign

Camp baboon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice pictures.

Congrats on your elephant. Super!

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a super great hunt,great selection of pictures,especially the locals,puts a face on the area & the local culture,well done.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Buffalo beans give me the creeps.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Don't like them beans!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Nice pics and a great read. Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for sharing!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris and Carol!

Thanks for the nice report and what a pleasure it was having you guys at home for dinner on your last night! Look forward to hopefully seeing you at the shows!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote