Find
Notify
Tools

HHK Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted
A client and I just returned from hunting with HHK Safaris in ZImbabwe. I have been booking for HHK for a couple of years so I didn't expect anything less than a great safari, and we weren't disapointed. You hear a lot about fuel and other supplies being in short supply in Zimbabwe, but HHK is big enough to be able to import their own fuel ,which they deliver to their camps in their own fuel trucks, and supplies which their own fleet of trucks delivers to the camps.

We started off in Chirisa where my client took a 50 pound Elephant in less than 2 hours on the first morning. I took an ancient Dugga Boy the second day and a big female Buffalo while hunting cow Elephant. After 5 days, we went to Chete so my client could hunt Hippo and Croc and I could hunt Elephant. We had some bad luck with the Hippo and Croc, and it ended up taking 7 days to get them both down. This was no one's fault. Everything just seemed to sense our presence every time he was about to pull the trigger. With only 1 day left after the Croc was shot, I made a half-hearted attempt to hunt tuskless Elephant, then took a 53" Kudu close to the end of the last day.

We had an excellent safari. Everything went smoothly, and the camps and areas were first rate. I can highly recommend HHK Safaris.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Greg

Who was your PH? I hunted with these fellows last year and had a great time. Unfortunately, this year my schedule and their available times did not work out. I am looking forward to trying to hunt with them with my daughter and/or son in the future.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Dr. Bob:

You need to check your private mail.

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
George Hallamore was our PH. He's a nice guy and a damn good hunter.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting with HHK for the first time in September and October of this year. It's very exciting for me to continue to hear great reports as these. I'll be hunting in their Chirisa and Lemco areas.
In regard to HHK's ability to keep their supplies in tact, I sent Graham a note to see if there was anything I might need to bring on my trip that might otherwise be in short supply. Graham sent me the following response on June 11, 2003:

Thanks for the e-mail. Fortunately the shortages have not affected us at all, we have our own 3000 gallon fuel bowser and we import our own fuel so that is not a problem. As regards the food and that everything is available here in Zimbabwe (you just have to pay the right
price).

Thanks for the offer to bring something but really we are functioning 100% as we always have.

The hunting has been great and we are enjoying one of our best seasons yet.

Best regards

Graham

[ 06-20-2003, 20:46: Message edited by: spring ]

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with HHk on two separate occasions. Once in Charisa and once in Lemco. I do not have vast knowledge of African Safari Companies, but I cannot see how anyone can top HHK. We only saw one "squatter" on our Lemco Safari. I asked why they did not remove him. My PHs reply was that he was the only one and they were feeding him as he gave them no trouble. The "squatter" always ran out of his grass rondoval waving at us. While at Lemco and the trip to and from Bulawayo, it was hard to believe that anything was going badly in Zimbabwe. My PH was Brent Hein and if you hunt with him, don't casually mention that you would like to hunt a Bengal Tiger someday, he will probably put you on one! I think that HHK hires the Who's Who of Zimbabwe PHs. While in camp we had the priviledge of meeting some of them from time to time, all excellent hunters and top notch equipment. You simply cannot go wrong in booking with HHK.
Thanks,
HOOT

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote