ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Results of our Father/Son June 24-30 PG Hunt...

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Results of our Father/Son June 24-30 PG Hunt...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, looks like I need to put this post here where it belongs. In my haste to get the pics posted, I neglected to watch where I was going.

Finally got the knack of posting pics, so here is our take. All my son Mark's animals were taken with his Ruger M77 in 300WSM, 180 gr. Nosler/Win. Ballistic Silvertips. I know there are better 30 cal. bullets that could have been used, but the results speak for themselves: 7 animals with the 300WSM required 9 shots.

Mark's S.G. Kudu bull, an oldy with lots of scars and a broken tip, must of been a fighter...1 neck shot off sticks @ 275 yards.

Decent impala ram from a waterhole from about 100 yds. off a rest. Took two shots to pile him up. First shot hit a little too far back from the shoulder. Second was in the spine.

This warthog was hit at about 75 yds. off sticks, took off and slammed into a tree, breaking off his left lower tusk. Found dead about 50 ft. from the tree where Mark found the broken tusk. 1 shot through the chest.

My Limpopo Bushbuck, 1 shot @ 50 yds. with my 45-70 levergun, offhand, story is on "Hunting Reports".

Mark's big Zebra stallion @ 125 yrds. at a waterhole. 1-shot behing the shoulder from sticks, ran 100 yds. into thick stuff and piled up. Darn near broke my back helping get his heavy a** in that cruiser bed.

Mark's B. Wildebeest bull @ 100 yds. near a waterhole. 1 shot behind the shoulder off sticks, ran 40 yds. and piled up dead.

Mark's old male baboon. Missed first shot @ 250 yards. Shot at 280 yards as he ran, offhand up the kazoo and out the far shoulder. Took a second shot at 6 ft. to finish him.

Mark and me with my "last day" heavy-based, brown-horned ram. Nice white ridges. Will make a great shoulder mount. Perfect coat, ears and head. 1 shot through the neck with Mark's 300WSM, off sticks @ 125 yards as he walked through a break in the bush after a long stalk.

Morning we left with PH's, trackers, cameraman and father/son duo.

Great hunt and great memories for a lifetime!

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I think it's wonderful you did this for your son. I really do.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great safari with your son.

I'd like to do the same thing you did with each of my boys. We just need to find the time--it's tough, with school and sports, etc. Maybe now that one's starting college we'll find time in the summer.

You've done yourself and your son a lifetime of good with this hunt. I know you'll cherish the good times you've had with him.

Here's to many more!

Posts: 13448 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
MR, maybe you can wait for your sons to do this for YOU! That's what I did for my dad. He and I hunted with Vaughan a few weeks before you did and had a grand time. I think a father/son hunt in Africa is about as good as it gets. It was the best way to repay him for creating in me the hunter's spirit that has become such an important part of my life. I only hope that I can instill the same in my children. Maybe they'll take me to Africa in 30 years

RHS, you've set your son on the right path I believe. Now send him off to college and tell him to get a good job so he can take you next time.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DesertRam,

I like the way you think! We are already planning our next foray in about 2-3 years for Cape Buff and some plains game we haven't taken, like: Black Wildebeest, Nyala, Common Reedbuck, Cape Bushbuck, Mt. Reedbuck, etc.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'll second that!

My problem is that if my sons wait as long as I did to go to Africa, their old man will be a really old man by then. Forget the gun bearers, I'll need a stretcher bearer!

But good for you for doing right by your dad. I'll bet he's a very happy and proud father.

Posts: 13448 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, it took me 'til I was nearly 30 to get it done. I figure if I wait until my first kid (my 18 month old daughter) is 30, I'll be knocking on 60's door. Maybe I'll have to spring for a high school graduation safari. Or maybe an eighth grade graduation safari. Or maybe a kindergarten graduation safari. Well, you get the picture.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote