ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Plains Game Hunting On the Gras Ranch

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plains Game Hunting On the Gras Ranch
 Login/Join

posted
I just returned from Namibia hunting plains game on the Gras Ranch with Errol Lambrecths PH. This was the best hunt anyone could imagine. The game was abundant,the food was wonderful, the service ,top notch. On a 10 day hunt I claimed a big Blue Willdebeeste, an old but still good Kudu, a huge Eland, a Zebra, two nice Gemsbok , two matching Springbok, and a male and female Blesbok. I think all this came out to be six Gold trophies, two Silver and a Bronze. special thanks to my outfitter Wendell Reich at Hunters Quest International

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great trip. Wendell is very good and a great guy.

Now, you need to write up a great trip report to match your hunt!!!!

Posts: 10189 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Glad you had a great trip. Wendell is very good and a great guy.

Now, you need to write up a great trip report to match your hunt!!!!

And we need pictures!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By all means, post those pictures!

I hunted in 2007 on a very similar neighboring ranch just upstream on the Fish River from the Gras called Nomtsas. Three of us hunted for only five days but killed 27 head of game, most of it Gold. As far as I'm concerned, this area of Namibia is an outstanding place to hunt. The wide-open country reminds me of far West Texas and New Mexico -- just covered up with springbok, oryx, wildebeest, zebra, giraffe, hartebeest, warthog, baboon, ostrich, kudu . . .

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about west Texas...kept having to remind myself that I wasn't in the Big Bend country

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of our group is a native of Las Cruces, NM. When we went just a little way to the west to the Naukluft Mountains to hunt Mountain Zebra he said "I'm home."

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES.... WE GOTTA HAVE PICTURES!

Glad that you had a good hunt, can I suggest that you post some pictures?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
will do ...but how do you get the admin. to let you have permission?

posted Hide Post
Gras Ranch is a great place to hunt. Being my first time to hunt overseas they took care of my every need and answered all of my questions. Having never hunted plains game before I looked into their sizes and weights. I decided to take my Ruger M77 300.Win. Mag. and a Rem. 700 BDL 30.06 for a backup. My brother and I started working up loads for the 300 win. Mag and settled on a 200 grain Nosler partition at about 2800+ ft. sec. Having spent all of my life hunting whitetails,pigs and coyotes I was afraid that I was in over my head on this hunt. Then I met Errol Lambrecths,Super PH. The day I got there we shot my guns and I shot ok. We went out after a good breakfast the next morning and I shot a Blue Wildebeeste that scored 213,after lunch I shot a Springbok that scored 102,later near sundown Errol found me an old Kudu bull that turned out to be 12 years old. The next day I shot 2 Gemsbok and 2 Blesbok and also had 2 or 3 misses. I was not used to shooting past 200 yds. even though I dropped a walking Blesbok at 292 yds. Errol took me back to the range the next morning to practice at longer ranges. After the practice session we went after Hartmanns Zebra .I took mine walking away at a 45 deg. angle at 315 yds. The next day I had a day off to see where I was going to go to hunt Eland. At Gras they don't let you sit idle, they sent me out to kill a Springbok for the kitchen and any Jackals I could find. No Jackals but I nailed a Springbok at 350 yds. I think I am loosing my fear of distance. We had to go to a nearby ranch to hunt Eland and after a long chess match like chase I was forced into making a freehand running shot of 75 yds. or risk loosing a big bull,a shoulder/lung shot did nothing to slow him down,but a shot to the hip did. One more to the neck finished him off, my bull scored 242. My last day hunting was spent looking for another hunters wounded Gemsbok with no luck. On the way back to the Lodge, Errol spotted a Springbok that was almost a perfect match to my first one. He was standing on the far side of a pan and I ask Errol if that was about 400 yds. He said "At least". I took my time and lined up the shot. The Springbok never knew what hit him, the range finder said 465 yds. I do think I am now over my fear of distance. My hunt was over but will never be forgotten. I was challanged on many levels and was able to develope my skills to meet those challanges. This was the best hunting trip I have ever been on. The only advice I will offer a first time Plains Game hunter is "Keep both eyes on the game and one ear on the PH and follow instructions"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G D Lindsey, I'm glad you had a great hunt. Gras Ranch is a wonderful place and all the people there are simply terrific. It sounds as though you shot very well. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

When my wife and I hunted with Errol in 2008 we did a bit of video of Errol teaching the use of shooting sticks and impromptu field rests. My wife played the role of the student while I ran the cameras.

If you're interested in seeing them (or just seeing Errol on video) they are at www.davesgunpages.com under the "Shooting" subheading. (Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules in mentioning my modest web site).

I hope to hunt with Errol again soon, he's good company and a great PH.

Dave Anderson

posted Hide Post
thanks Dave ,Errol is the best

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Pictures, please.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G.D.: TO post photos, first upload them to a site like Photobucket (free for a limited, but generous, number of photos). Then all you have to do is copy and paste the link (the bottom one of the four that pop up when you put your cursor on the photo thumbnail) in the text of your post. It is really simple once you figure it out.

posted Hide Post
[/IMG] [/IMG] [/IMG] [/IMG] [/IMG] [/IMG] [/IMG]

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
GD, a little help with your pictures...

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Colin, I need all the help I can get.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Congratulations....nice trophies !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GD,

Those are VERY nice trophies!!!

Congratulations...you'll be planning to go back in no time tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Congrat's GD on your hunt! I cleaned-up the code a little bit on the rest of the pictures. Well done!.

Originally posted by G D LINDSEY:

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a damn nice blue wildebeest. Congrats.

Errol is alot of fun to hunt with isn't he? I recognize Picky and Stephan The Stud but the black in the blue I've never seen before.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a wildebeest! Thats a really big one, close to 30 inches I guess.

Congratulations

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Excellent trophies!
Thanks for sharing.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill C ,thanks for the help, Bobby B the guy in the blue is Christian he was our guide at the Kruger ranch where I hunted the Eland, it is about 30 k west of Gras , I think one of Jannies cousins owns it. And I could sit and listen to Errol tell stories for another 10 days

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil G D Lindsey. Sounds like you really enjoyed Gras and some great times. Great trophies, great times, great food, great people, and a beautiful place to spend some time! I was there last year, had a great time, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Fine trophies and I can tell by the smile on your face you had a blast.

Wendell is a good guy

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Beautiful shape on that Kudu and the Blue Wildebeast is to die for. Well done.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a toad of a wildebeast. Congrats! clap

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photo's. I too hunted at Gras several years ago. Great Wildebeest and Gemsbok at their operation. Just a great and very enjoyable place to hunt.

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Errol Lambrechts
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary for the kind words. That goes for all the other hunters that I have guided as well. As a PH I have one goal. That is to make a hunter’s dream a reality. With the economy as it is to-day many hunters save for a long time for that once in a lifetime hunt in Africa. We at Gras Hunting Ranch collect you at the airport as a hunter/client, during the hunt you become a friend and hopefully leave as family. I can honestly say that in Namibia most outfitters have the same philosophy.

Errol Lambrechts
Zingela Safaris
www.zingelasafaris.com

Posts: 13 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You do start to feel like family when you get to start playing jokes on Janni

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
HI Gary!

It was good to see you today at the DSC convention!

I'm glad your experience at the Gras turned out good. When I recommended it to you, I had no doubt that you would enjoy it 100%.

What a super wildebeest!!! I thought mine was pretty good but you easily passed it!

Congratulations and Becky and I hope to see more photos!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dlroxby
posted Hide Post
quote:
wildebeest

Really nice wildebeest.

Posts: 60 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 June 2007Reply With Quote