One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Jabalihunter:

"Not to a trophy hunter who splashes out mega bucks!"
I agree and thought I said as much.

Where? the only mention you made was related to a trophy animal and quite frankly I do not see much of a trophy in a tuskless elephant - just an opportunity in killing an elephant (preferably an old one) at a greatly reduced rate so the question of mega-bucks is not part of the argument.

"Population management plans are conducted through organized culls where numbers are the determining factor, irrelevant of age or sex."

Yes, but you also have tuskless hunts which surely fall into the management category.

The numbers of tuskless hunts are far too small to have an effect on elephant population when talking in terms of management.

Elephant management culls are done or were done very differently and maybe shouldn't be talked about in detail on a public forum.

The killing of the young bull that started this topic is nothing more than a monumental balls up on the part of an incompetent PH and has bugger all to do with tragedy or animal management.

Here, but obviously I wasn't clear
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I am surprised there are no other comments. That calf is a real tragedy for all hunters! No way the PH should have asked you to shoot it whether it was day 3 or day 21. JMHO for a wanabe Bwana.

Naki - I quite agree in the context of a trophy elephant hunt.

But anyway, it doesn't matter. We both agree that it isn't a trophy bull and that the PH shouldn't have set his client up to shoot it. The point I was originally trying to make was that the hunter shouldn't feel bad about shooting a young bull, as intimated in one of his earlier posts. Obviously he can be aggrieved at the outcome of his hunt for a trophy bull.

I take your point about the cull numbers required for population management though - I'm quite aware of how they go down...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All Gone earned some great trophies!
But the trophies one takes on safari is not all one should expect from a trip many have to save years for.
I have been on 3 safaris & that certainly does not make me an expert, but I know good when I see it & I know bad when I see It.
My first 2 safaris were with Joof Lamprecht of Hunters Namibia & my 3rd with Thierry Labat of Zambezi Hunters.
They were both gentlemen & GREAT P.H.'s.
Both took great care to see to it that both my wife & I were taken care of & happy with no problems between us.
I have 15 incredible trophies with Joof & 6 with Thierry, I highly recommend both of them.
Now, who was it that recommended these bozos to Al Gone?
Was it the booking agent? If so does he bare some responcibility for the poor theatment of his client?
I used word of mouth from previous clients & believe I will continue with that as it has worked well for me.
Al Gone, I am proud for you on your trophies & sad for you that you were treated so poorly by people you paid so much to.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Bwwna Cecil

Before you pass judgement on the booking agent you my read this.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...251027661#8251027661

Particularly the last couple of pages.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike70560
I did not pass judgement, I ask questions, is that not acceptable?
After reading the info you suggested I now have answers to my ??"s.
As for ACS, even though he has tried to correct the situation as best he could, he still knew there were problems with this operator beforehand & continued to use him anyway.
I would never use them as they show poor judgement in sending their clients to a shoddy operator.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this common on hunting safaris in Africa?
To chase and shoot a Kudu from a car.
To shoot a Bushbuck from a boat.
To use a torch when shooting a Leopard on a bait.

I am not bashing it because I have no idea about what is regarded as accepted and normal when hunting in Africa.
But I know for sure that I would never regard it as hunting for myself and the trophies would never give me joy and pride when looking at them.

The behavior of the PH would probably make me stop my safari and make hell already on day 2 or 3 if it could not be "adjusted"....

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norwegianwoods:

quote:

In some countries yes, in others not, but some will bend the rules and accept the use of artificial light in the first hour of darkness - I guess they realize that if they want a trophy fee they need to back off a little as well.

One also has to appreciate that Leopards are primarily nocturnal and chances of shooting one in daylight are greatly reduced, though not impossible.

Leopards are also hunted with dogs (doesn't rock my boat but that is my opinion) - I think it is only permitted in Zim.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norwegianwoods:
Is this common on hunting safaris in Africa?
To chase and shoot a Kudu from a car.
To shoot a Bushbuck from a boat.

I am not bashing it because I have no idea about what is regarded as accepted and normal when hunting in Africa.
But I know for sure that I would never regard it as hunting for myself and the trophies would never give me joy and pride when looking at them.

The behavior of the PH would probably make me stop my safari and make hell already on day 2 or 3 if it could not be "adjusted"....

Sadly, many things are possible today, as there are quite a few miserable so called outfitters and PH that will do ANYTHING to bend or break the rules.

In my own hunts, we have always left the blind in teh evening as soon as I could tell I was unable to see clearly to shoot.

And this generally happens within half an hour of the sun going down. And if the it is cloudy, even earlier.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL Cat...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote